Support Hell

Old January 27th 04, 02:49 AM
Eric Gould

Default Support Hell

About six weeks ago I shipped off my Presario 1700T laptop for repair. The
hard drive had some mechanical problems and the battery was dead. Both
should have been covered under my extended three year warranty.

Just last week, I finally got confirmation that my laptop was received.
Their diagnosis: liquid damage to the keyboard, motherboard, and battery,
as well as damage to the external casing. This is total BS. Not a drop has
touched that machine, and I guarantee there was no damage to the casing.
Compaq could care less and wants to charge $700 to repair. Not being a
fool, I requested that they send it back and promised never to buy an
HP/Compaq product again.

The six weeks that my laptop was unaco****ed is what really worries me. It
was not logged in the website until the other day. So I have no idea where
it was or what happened to it.

I'm waiting until I get it back to make sure the serial number matches. I
hope this was just a clerical error. There was no liquid damage to the
machine I sent to Compaq.

Does anyone know what I can/should do from here?

Thanks,

Eric

Old January 27th 04, 03:44 AM
Alan Kerr

Eric, I had a similar problem in the early days of cellphones when they
were the size of a brick and cost a small fortune. I took one in under
warranty and was told I'd dropped it. Rubbish. I stood firm and started
proceedings for the small claims court (I presume other countries have
this)and they quickly backed down

Alan

Old January 27th 04, 06:07 AM
Trai' La Trash

Eric Gould wrote:
[...]

Eric you have one heck of a case (to prove now)
First next time you send it out take pictures of the condition and note all
serial numbers.
A good tool to use is Belarc Advisor ,you can print out all system info in
understandable text.

You can try 800-652-6672 and ask to speak to a supervisor in customer
relations (get a pot of coffee it will be a long wait)
Ask for Jay Eisner or Mike Taylor and see if you can get your case number
escalated to resole the matter.
Also you can try the repair center direct 1-888-886-3292

Your final choice is 800-652-6672 and find a repair center near you and pay
the bench fee and get them to tear it open in front of you and if there is
no sign of water damage get it in writing and then you have some proof.
I think they will find it hard to argue if it was diagnosed by an
authorized repair agent.

The repair center in Texas pulls some shady crap I sent a laptop there to
have the screen replaced and the system board replaced and the inverter and
it came back with just the screen replaced.

Sent it back and when it got back to me there was a note saying they changed
the inverter (so it would run on battery) and the system board.
Funny how the system board has the exact same serial number as the one it
came with. Last I knew the serial was burned in.

Now I have a box sitting here to send it back when I get time because the
VGA out still does not work.

I don't get why it took 6 weeks though for yours seeing your in Texas and so
it the repair center. Both times I sent mine in they had Airborne send a box
and I gave to the guy and I had it back the third day.

Trai'

Old January 27th 04, 02:12 PM
Euc1id

Contact the President of Compaq or Hewlett-Packard. Don't waste your time
with underlings. Go straight to the top. I found an email address for the
President of Compaq on their website, and she fixed me up pronto when I had
a problem getting a monitor repaired/replaced. Just explain the problem
concisely in an FYI manner. Don't gripe. Don't complain. Don't argue. Don't
ask for anything. He/she will probably do it...
--
Euc1id

Old January 27th 04, 11:30 PM
Irene

In addition to the other suggestions, file a detailed complaint with your
local BBB. Get a case filed in small claims court, send copies of all paper
work to Compaq's CEO and Compaq Customer Service, preferably by Certified
Mail with return receipt and last but not least, be persistant.

Old January 28th 04, 03:11 PM
Sharmon

Eric Gould wrote:
[...]

Jay Eisner works for Sitel Corp in their contact center in Ottawa,
Canada which is an outsource company HP uses that handles Commercial
and Enterprise business for HP. This company has nothing to do with HP
and is only authorized to give canned responses. For Presarios ,
unfortunately , you will have to deal with India and it's rude and
illiterate techs (but don't worry they all have Masters in Comp Sci.)
.. Try writing an email to Carly Fiorini (HP CEO) ; her email is
heavily screened but she might read it and care .

Old January 28th 04, 09:44 PM
Trai' La Trash

Sharmon wrote:
Eric Gould wrote:
[...]

Sharmon maybe it is who and how you deal with them? I've dealt with Jay on
four different machines and he had the issues resolved.
Really doesn't matter where the guy is from if he gets the job done.
One thing could be though is that the machines were Compaq business machines
and maybe they get handled differently.

HP Compaq or who ever I have to admit dealing with the Indians in the call
center can sometimes make you want to jump through the phone and strangle
them!
I had one 1 day tell me his English was fine. I asked him how the F* do you
know your English is fine,it's my native language.

Custom built PC's are the way to go.