Advice please-computer, video card, & games

Old November 24th 04, 11:44 PM
...D.

Default Advice please-computer, video card, & games

This message is crossposted to 3 newsgroups I just subscribed to:
-microsoft.public.games.discussion-, -alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati-, &
-alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia-

I have several questions. I have become hooked on computing in a big way,
restarting with a computer over a year ago. (I used to compute back in the
mid 90s, but nothing like now, and not as devoted as I have become.)

I need some overall advice. I want to know if my computer is even worth
upgrading to get into some of the newer more CPU & video card demanding
games. . I've gotten into everthing else computer-wise in the last year,
and now am ready to get in some gaming. I used to have video game
consoles, but got away from it. Getting a bit older = perhaps a more
sopphisticated game I can get into.

I have an Athalon 3200+ computer, 160 BG HD, DVD read & write, and a
separate CD read.. 758 MBs RAM (a 256 & a 512 MB sticks, & are pc2700).
The 3200+ is an AMD processor. These processors are poor-mans P4s - they
run at what are considered to be slow speed.GHz-wise, but are supposed to
work differently than a P4. The 3200+ runs at 2.2 GHz, but because of the
way they handle things, are supposed to run comparable to a P4 at the
speed you see - so, a 3200+ should = a P4 @ 3.2 GHz (non hyperthreading).
I think they fudge some, but anyway, this mimicking of speed applies to
"most regular programs". I think I have read that Athlons handle games
well.

Now with the above set-up,.I was just wondering what you gamers and video
card gurus have to say about this.. Am I going to be able to run some of
the demanding games that are out or are coming out? If so, I'll need to
upgrade my video capabilites.

Video - I also know my 64 nVidia GeForce on-motherboard chipset that
steals 64 MBs of RAM, is not very good for the more advanced games. I
want to know first - is my computer worth investing in a good video card?

OK - if it is worth it, can my computer take advantage of a very good
video card, like the Raidons I see? Or should I invest in a cheaper
nVidia 256 MB card ( I see for less than $100), because my computer won't
be able to utilize the real good one? Any recommendations about this
please - and recommendations of a good $200 card vs a good $350 card?
Don't want to get up to $500.

And.. hey, not done - if all is Ok and I do buy a video card - are they
all DVI capable - and if so - does it make a big difference to have a DVI
capable monitor rather than a regular anlaog monitor? I have a 21 inch
Dell trinitron P110 - an oldie but a goodie - .24 dp, flat square face.
If it matters, I will sell it and buy a similar model Sony model that has
a DVI input - if it matters. (they made one DVI capable model I think).
----------------
Finally, but a completely different thread - anyone have any experience
with EA's Madden 2005? I just bought this, along with a 20 USB gamepad
with the two extra little thumb-joysticks built-in that it recommended. I
have yet to play it - but I have fired it up and let it run like a movie.
I noticed a bit of choppyness here and there as it played - I think
because it is reading from the CD - which brings me to this - are the new
games all wanting to have to insert the CD-1 in the CD to be able to play
the damned thing?

This inserting an un-copyable CD (I tried) is like the old days of
copy-protection. Got away from it, because a lot of complaints, and also
copy protection breaking programs and what-not.. Sucks. The 3 CD game
loads a couple of gigs on my hard drive.. I have room on my hard drive to
load the whole game - all 3 CDs. Can I do this? I just hate having to
insert a CD to play. It sure seems that the game reading from the CD is
holding back - at least in movie mode. I believe my computer is fast
enough for this game..

EA ****es me off for not giving me the option of loading the whole game on
board. I hope the new lawsuit gets to them (overworking game programmers
without compensation).

Any and all comments will be read by me. Thanks.

...D.

...D.
Old November 25th 04, 12:16 AM
Blaedmon

With regards to the AMD 3200+ - its a dam fine processor for what you're
wanting it for. The AMD range consistantly out-perform Pentium on floating
point calculations, meaning games, basically. AMD just do their stuff more
efficiently, running slightly hotter in the process, but also cheaper. I
would only go Pentium if I was using applications seriously. Are you? Or are
you playing games? Amd it is, then
The only real world flaw in your system is, as you may have already guessed,
the videocard. With price in mind, you may want to check out a 9800pro
256-bit which are excellent cards for the money. If youre looking to kill
every game out there and in the future 3 years, you should look at the x800
6800gt oc, etc etc, ranges. Theyre all ninjas.
With DVI, the higher end cards like the above mostly all have it built in as
standard, youll have to check which models offer it. And with monitors - if
youre going to be gaming, do NOT get anything but CRT unless you plan to pay
a pretty penny on a decent LCD or so. Standard CRT, at the moment, are the
only displays which can keep pace with todays games refresh rates.

Old November 25th 04, 12:25 AM
cowboyz

....D. wrote:
[...]

ok. good machine so far. BTW. the XP "rating" is compairing against the
old AMD CPUs - not the P4's. It was required because the older Athlon
1400 -1500 (going off top of my head - someone will correct me) run at the
same (Mhz) speed as the XP1600/XP1700's.
Same as today really. There is not alot of difference between a XP2800 and
XP3200 in Mhz rating which would be more misleading if they represented
their CPUs via Mhz rating.

Now with the above set-up,.I was just wondering what you gamers and
video card gurus have to say about this.. Am I going to be able to
run some of the demanding games that are out or are coming out? If
so, I'll need to upgrade my video capabilites.

Video - I also know my 64 nVidia GeForce on-motherboard chipset that
steals 64 MBs of RAM, is not very good for the more advanced games. I
want to know first - is my computer worth investing in a good video
card?

I'm going to wager a bet you are running on a Nforce 2 board. So you haev
a GeForce 4MX onboard. Any carda above a FX5900 or Radeon 9700 is going to
give you a MASSIVE boost in performance. I would go 9800pro if it was me
but depends on what you want to spend and how loyal you are to Nvidia.

OK - if it is worth it, can my computer take advantage of a very good
video card, like the Raidons I see?

Put whatever card you want in it. Your computer will take advantage of it.

Or should I invest in a cheaper
nVidia 256 MB card ( I see for less than $100), because my computer
won't be able to utilize the real good one? Any recommendations
about this please - and recommendations of a good $200 card vs a good
$350 card? Don't want to get up to $500.

9800pro is a good ~$200 card.
Depends on your area and where you want to shop.

And.. hey, not done - if all is Ok and I do buy a video card - are
they all DVI capable - and if so - does it make a big difference to
have a DVI capable monitor rather than a regular anlaog monitor? I
have a 21 inch Dell trinitron P110 - an oldie but a goodie - .24 dp,
flat square face. If it matters, I will sell it and buy a similar
model Sony model that has a DVI input - if it matters. (they made
one DVI capable model I think). ----------------

I would keep your current monitor

Finally, but a completely different thread - anyone have any
experience with EA's Madden 2005? I just bought this, along with a
20 USB gamepad with the two extra little thumb-joysticks built-in
that it recommended. I have yet to play it - but I have fired it up
and let it run like a movie. I noticed a bit of choppyness here and
there as it played - I think because it is reading from the CD -
which brings me to this - are the new games all wanting to have to
insert the CD-1 in the CD to be able to play the damned thing?

some do some dont

This inserting an un-copyable CD (I tried) is like the old days of
copy-protection. Got away from it, because a lot of complaints, and
also copy protection breaking programs and what-not.. Sucks. The 3
CD game loads a couple of gigs on my hard drive.. I have room on my
hard drive to load the whole game - all 3 CDs. Can I do this? I
just hate having to insert a CD to play. It sure seems that the game
reading from the CD is holding back - at least in movie mode. I
believe my computer is fast enough for this game..

Few games do not have a "complete" install option. However these games may
require the CD in the drive when you load it because it does a small check
on the disc. It doesn't use the disc when playign the game. Your game
would have been stuttering because of the GF4MX gfx - not your CD .

Old November 25th 04, 12:37 AM
MikeC

"Blaedmon" wrote in message
With regards to the AMD 3200+ - its a dam fine processor for what you're
wanting it for. The AMD range consistantly out-perform Pentium on floating
point calculations, meaning games, basically. AMD just do their stuff more
efficiently, running slightly hotter in the process, but also cheaper. I
would only go Pentium if I was using applications seriously. Are you? Or
are
you playing games? Amd it is, then
The only real world flaw in your system is, as you may have already
guessed,
the videocard. With price in mind, you may want to check out a 9800pro
256-bit which are excellent cards for the money. If youre looking to kill
every game out there and in the future 3 years, you should look at the
x800
6800gt oc, etc etc, ranges. Theyre all ninjas.

6600GT is a better card than the 9800Pro and a helluva lot cheaper. It's
probably the best bang for your buck card out there right now.

Old November 25th 04, 03:46 AM
MJ

There are also many No-CD fixes on the internet. Just google it. Download
the file and usually you replace the original .exe with the new one. it will
bypass the cd check, then you don't need the cd in the drive to play it.

mj

Old November 25th 04, 04:35 AM
J. Clarke

....D. wrote:

[...]

They are not "poor man's" _anything_. They are Athlons, they are not
imitation P4s. For many purposes their performance is superior to that of
the P4.

The 3200+ runs at 2.2 GHz, but because of the
way they handle things, are supposed to run comparable to a P4 at the
speed you see - so, a 3200+ should = a P4 @ 3.2 GHz (non hyperthreading).
I think they fudge some, but anyway, this mimicking of speed applies to
"most regular programs". I think I have read that Athlons handle games
well.

Athlons are the preferred processor for gaming.

Now with the above set-up,.I was just wondering what you gamers and video
card gurus have to say about this.. Am I going to be able to run some of
the demanding games that are out or are coming out? If so, I'll need to
upgrade my video capabilites.

The only worthwhile step up from where you are would be to go to a 64-bit
Athlon.

Video - I also know my 64 nVidia GeForce on-motherboard chipset that
steals 64 MBs of RAM, is not very good for the more advanced games. I
want to know first - is my computer worth investing in a good video card?

OK - if it is worth it, can my computer take advantage of a very good
video card, like the Raidons I see?

Yes, it can. Just remember that there's a new video board interface out
that your board won't support, "PCI Express"--be careful to get an "AGP"
board, not a "PCI Express" board. There's no real-world performance
difference between them.

Or should I invest in a cheaper
nVidia 256 MB card ( I see for less than $100), because my computer won't
be able to utilize the real good one? Any recommendations about this
please - and recommendations of a good $200 card vs a good $350 card?
Don't want to get up to $500.

And.. hey, not done - if all is Ok and I do buy a video card - are they
all DVI capable

All the better ones are with the exception of the Radeon 9600 All-In-Wonder
(which is different from the regular Radeon 9600)

- and if so - does it make a big difference to have a DVI
capable monitor rather than a regular anlaog monitor?

If you are using an LCD display then running it on DVI at its native
resolution will give you the best results. If you have a CRT then there is
no benefit.

I have a 21 inch
Dell trinitron P110 - an oldie but a goodie - .24 dp, flat square face.

If you like it stick with it.

If it matters, I will sell it and buy a similar model Sony model that has
a DVI input - if it matters. (they made one DVI capable model I think).

DVI on CRTs generally does not perform as well as the regular analog inputs.

----------------

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old November 25th 04, 07:19 AM
Josh Beck

....D. wrote:

[...]

The new games that are coming out tax the **** out of your computer.
You'll need a good motherboard and Chip for sure. 758 megs of ram is good.
The new 64-bit processors are a good way to go right now. They require
pc3200 ram, but they are the cutting edge at the moment.
-I run:
-AMD64 3000
-1.5 Gigs PC3200
-Asus k8v se deluxe mobo (Excellent Motherboard.)
Even with this, as I'll mention below, I've had problems running the newest
games. The motherboard + chip runs something like 200-250 dollars.
Video - I also know my 64 nVidia GeForce on-motherboard chipset that
steals 64 MBs of RAM, is not very good for the more advanced games. I
want to know first - is my computer worth investing in a good video card?

Video Card:
I have spent the last week going back and forth to Best Buy swapping
out video cards. Here is what I found out:
-The Radeon series 9800 pro is a good buy between 200-250 dollars.
It will kick the hell out of about any video game. I had linux compatibility
problems.
-The GeForce 6800 OC ran me 300 dollars, but man oh man does it
do the job right. Runs right on linux. Truly Awesome performance.

-The geForce 5900 is decent I've heard

-Don't waste your money on anything less than what these cards
can provide I think. A 100 dollar video card will run older games,
but it won't touch most of the new stuff.

Lower End Models:
The Radeon 9550, 9600 models beat the GeForce 5500, 5700
models. (Once again, linux compability issues.)
OK - if it is worth it, can my computer take advantage of a very good
video card, like the Raidons I see? Or should I invest in a cheaper
nVidia 256 MB card ( I see for less than $100), because my computer won't
be able to utilize the real good one? Any recommendations about this
please - and recommendations of a good $200 card vs a good $350 card?
Don't want to get up to $500.

Intel Celeron processors won't game for you. P4 and AMD will do a better
job. If you are running an AMD 3200, I believe you'll do ok with the
GeForce 6800. (Be sure you can exchange it I guess.)
And.. hey, not done - if all is Ok and I do buy a video card - are they
all DVI capable - and if so - does it make a big difference to have a DVI
capable monitor rather than a regular anlaog monitor? I have a 21 inch
Dell trinitron P110 - an oldie but a goodie - .24 dp, flat square face.
If it matters, I will sell it and buy a similar model Sony model that has
a DVI input - if it matters. (they made one DVI capable model I think).
----------------

All the cards I tested this week have both 15 pin and DVI inputs
Finally, but a completely different thread - anyone have any experience
with EA's Madden 2005? I just bought this, along with a 20 USB gamepad
with the two extra little thumb-joysticks built-in that it recommended. I
have yet to play it - but I have fired it up and let it run like a movie.
I noticed a bit of choppyness here and there as it played - I think
because it is reading from the CD - which brings me to this - are the new
games all wanting to have to insert the CD-1 in the CD to be able to play
the damned thing?

Yes, they want the cd in the drive, but I think it is more for
security purposes. They want the cd with the cd-key match. I wouldn't know.

This inserting an un-copyable CD (I tried) is like the old days of
copy-protection. Got away from it, because a lot of complaints, and also
copy protection breaking programs and what-not.. Sucks. The 3 CD game
loads a couple of gigs on my hard drive.. I have room on my hard drive to
load the whole game - all 3 CDs. Can I do this? I just hate having to
insert a CD to play. It sure seems that the game reading from the CD is
holding back - at least in movie mode. I believe my computer is fast
enough for this game..

EA ****es me off for not giving me the option of loading the whole game on
board. I hope the new lawsuit gets to them (overworking game programmers
without compensation).

Any and all comments will be read by me. Thanks.

I hope I helped.
Josh Beck
...D.

...D.

Old November 25th 04, 05:19 PM
Lachoneus

6600GT is a better card than the 9800Pro and a helluva lot cheaper.

The 9800 Pro is cheaper for the moment. And it will probably stay
cheaper as long as it stays available. ATI has positioned it against
the 6600GT AGP.
Old November 25th 04, 07:39 PM
Tod

AMD chips are just as good as Intel chips.
A high end card with 128mbs of memory is better
then a low end card with 256mbs memory.
The new 6600 AGP sounds like a good bang for the buck card.
Keep your current monitor.

Old November 25th 04, 08:41 PM
Rick

"...D." wrote in message

[...]

AMD chips are demonstrably better than Intel chips across the board.
Ten years ago Intel had the edge but, not now