Looking for advice on buying card

Old June 22nd 03, 09:22 PM
02935

Default Looking for advice on buying card

I'll be purchasing a new system soon with the P4 3GHz 800FSB and D875PBZ
combo but I don't want to spend hundreds on a video card. What card would
you suggest I should get? There're so many...Radeon, Leadtek, Asus...I have
no idea.

Thanks.

Old June 23rd 03, 01:06 AM
Usenetter

Gigabyte do a quality Radeon 9700 Pro (128MB) for £215 shipped (dabs.com).
Raised my 3DMk01 from 10,000 to 16,000 and 3DMk03 from 1,000 to 5,000.

news

Old June 27th 03, 04:06 PM
Derek Wildstar

"02935" wrote in message
news
I'll be purchasing a new system soon with the P4 3GHz 800FSB and D875PBZ
combo but I don't want to spend hundreds on a video card. What card would
you suggest I should get? There're so many...Radeon, Leadtek, Asus...I

have
no idea.

Thanks.

Why would you spend, what I consider a premium, for a state of the art PC
subsystem, but not be willing to spend a proportional amount on the video
card?

If $200 dollars is too much for a video card, how is it that $363 isn't too
much for the CPU?

Either you are full of it, or you need a lesson in PC integration.

Old June 27th 03, 06:13 PM
Strontium

I think they don't have much experience with video rendering. Look at the
brands, the OP listed. Perhaps they need to refine their question to
something more like: Which chip? And, what vendor? Also, listing what
they are wanting to do with it. There was a time that I had no clue about
video cards. That goes back to when I was wanting to play FFVII on a Voodoo
Banshee. Give em a break. I've sure had many breaks. Surely you can
remember when you were clueless, too?

/shrug

--
You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"

-The main character in Postal 2

"Derek Wildstar" wrote in message

news

Old June 29th 03, 12:10 AM
Derek Wildstar

"Strontium" wrote in message
I think they don't have much experience with video rendering. Look at the
brands, the OP listed. Perhaps they need to refine their question to
something more like: Which chip? And, what vendor? Also, listing what
they are wanting to do with it. There was a time that I had no clue about
video cards. That goes back to when I was wanting to play FFVII on a

Voodoo
Banshee. Give em a break. I've sure had many breaks. Surely you can
remember when you were clueless, too?

/shrug

In order to give the OP further benefit of the doubt, by your gentle
prodding, I've come up with the possibility that he's not DIY-ing, he just
bought a pre-made 3.0 system, with a decidely inferior card. this is then an
upgrade. Even if it's not the case, it's a better way to assume he's just
not fiscally dense.

Which then becomes a much better original question: What does $150 get me
with a fast system vid wise. To that I'd say 5600ultra, if he likes nvidia.
I'm not even sure what $150 gets you optimally these days with ATI. 9600 pro
ultra?

Thank you for your neighborliness.