P4 3 switch to p4 3.4 Extreme Edition ? possible with my original Asus p4p800 Deluxe [not the E version] with bios 1019.005 ?

Old October 26th 04, 06:56 PM
Henry1

Default P4 3 switch to p4 3.4 Extreme Edition ? possible with my original Asus p4p800 Deluxe [not the E version] with bios 1019.005 ?

P4 3 switch to p4 3.4 Extreme Edition ? possible with my original Asus
p4p800 Deluxe [not the E version] with bios 1019.005 ?

Hi i already have a Intel® Pentium® 4 - 3.0C-GHz @ 800Mhz w/ 1Mb (Socket
478) on my original Asus p4p800 Deluxe motherboard and it
runs ok with 1 gb of good dual channel memory and other fast video and hard
drive etc.

I was wondering what kind of @ performance increase % wise would i see if i
replaced the 3.0 cpu with either the Intel® Pentium® 4
3.2C or 3.4C -GHz Extreme Edition @ 800Mhz w/ 2Mb (Socket 478)?

Also, would i need to reinstall windows Xp or not after such a cpu switch?

Thanks Alot

Old October 26th 04, 11:56 PM
DaveW

You would NOT have to reinstall XP, as long as you do not change the
motherboard.

--
DaveW

.. .

Old October 27th 04, 02:22 AM
Bob Knowlden

According to Asus' mainboard/CPU compatibility list, the Extreme Edition
CPUs are supported by BIOS 1012 and newer.

http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

(This isn't a direct link for the P4P800 deluxe, but it's simple to get
there from this link.)

I don't know what performance boost you might expect from an Extreme Edition
CPU. It would depend on the application, I suppose If you mainly wish to
play Doom3 at a high frame rate, see:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=2

I'm pretty sure that, as another poster remarked, you'd not have to
re-install XP after swapping in an EE CPU.

If the prices at www.newegg.com are representative, the EE CPUs are absurdly
expensive (approx. $1000US).

I recently upgraded from a P4P800 (not a Deluxe) with an A8V Pro and an
Athlon64 3500+ CPU. (The new build re-used everything but the mainboard and
CPU.) A month ago, the upgrade cost $500US. It would be less today. I'm not
an AMD fan or a convert, but I wanted to keep my 6800 GT graphics card, and
the A64 upgrade path seemed likely to be the most satisfactory for the
price. I'm happy with it, so far.

.. .