HELP! can't reset P4P800 BIOS

Old November 9th 03, 05:10 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

Default HELP! can't reset P4P800 BIOS

I've had my P4P800 for a little over a week and I decided to upgrade the BIOS to
1010 because whatever version it came with didn't have Turbo mode despite the
fact that it was described in the manual. The flash went OK and the system
booted normally afterward, but when I rebooted and set Turbo mode to On, not
only wouldn't it boot, it wouldn't POST at all. All the fans turn on and the
drives all spin up, but it doesn't beep at all and I don't get a video signal.
The manual says that the BIOS can be repaired by simply resetting the board
after a failure, but the reset button doesn't do it and powering down doesn't do
it. I even shut off the standby power with the switch on my power supply. I've
tried shutting off all the power, taking the battery out, and moving the jumper
to clear the settings, and it still doesn't work. Any more suggestions, or do I
need a new board? If I need a new board, do I have to contact ASUS since it
wasn't DOA, or should I try the place I bought it first?

Here's the rest of the system if it matters:

P4C 2.8 GHz, stock cooler
ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 (Radeon)
2x512M Kingston ValueRAM (on ASUS's qualified list)
Antec TruePower 480W (I have lots of drives)

Old November 9th 03, 08:39 AM
Darkfalz

"Jim Shaffer, Jr." wrote in message
I've had my P4P800 for a little over a week and I decided to upgrade the

BIOS to
1010 because whatever version it came with didn't have Turbo mode despite

the
fact that it was described in the manual. The flash went OK and the

system
booted normally afterward, but when I rebooted and set Turbo mode to On,

not
only wouldn't it boot, it wouldn't POST at all.

Happens here too, some RAM / CPU combos just don't support it. Actually it
makes **** all difference, if you want to turn PAT on go into the Chipset
options and set Memory Acceleration Mode to Enable.

All you should have to do is power down for a bit and power back it, it
should automatically tell you that overclocking failed and to go into BIOS.

Old November 10th 03, 12:20 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:39:16 +1100, "Darkfalz"
wrote:

All you should have to do is power down for a bit and power back it, it
should automatically tell you that overclocking failed and to go into BIOS.

No such luck. It was powered down all night (power off, battery removed) and it
doesn't start.

The thing that's really ****ing me off is that I tried removing the RAM sticks
and it beeps to indicate it's got no RAM, so if it's got enough intelligence to
do that, why doesn't it have enough intelligence to reset the BIOS like the
manual says it's supposed to do? It's not a memory timing issue preventing it
from running because it has no memory, so I'm forced to conclude that their BIOS
is buggy!

Old November 10th 03, 01:26 AM
Ed Jay

wrote:

All you should have to do is power down for a bit and power back it, it
should automatically tell you that overclocking failed and to go into BIOS.

No such luck. It was powered down all night (power off, battery removed) and it
doesn't start.

The thing that's really ****ing me off is that I tried removing the RAM sticks
and it beeps to indicate it's got no RAM, so if it's got enough intelligence to
do that, why doesn't it have enough intelligence to reset the BIOS like the
manual says it's supposed to do? It's not a memory timing issue preventing it
from running because it has no memory, so I'm forced to conclude that their BIOS
is buggy!

Can you use the 'Alt-F2' option to reflash the bios?

Ed Jay (remove M to respond)
Old November 10th 03, 06:00 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:26:51 GMT, Ed Jay wrote:

Can you use the 'Alt-F2' option to reflash the bios?

I *think* I tried that last night, but I can't swear to it -- I was in a pretty
upset state, and tried everything I could think of. Now, the board is no longer
in the system -- I put my old one back in -- and I don't have any other ATX
systems around to try it.

How to upgrade BIOS dino Homebuilt PC's 5 August 30th 04 08:11 PM
Large Hard Drive & BIOS upgrade problems Lago Jardin Overclocking 10 June 13th 04 12:56 AM
looking for Asus P4P800 Deluxe bios Ver 1008 SgtHulka Asus Motherboards 1 August 5th 03 04:10 PM
BIOS Gricalus Homebuilt PC's 3 July 13th 03 12:07 PM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM