Come on Wes, give us the settings ( was: Is the Sempron a budget line that costs more?)

Old September 22nd 04, 09:59 AM
Wes Newell

Default Come on Wes, give us the settings ( was: Is the Sempron a budget line that costs more?)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:52:10 +0100, Bill wrote:

Wes Newell wrote:

I've tried 100MHz FSB boards (like ECS K7VZM) that won't
run anything Palomino or newer, and even 133MHz FSB boards
(like MSI K7T266 Pro2) that won't run T'Bred or newer...
"maybe" in later revisions those boards would, but actual
samples which worked 100% fine, simply won't run these
faster chips even at 1500MHz (or whatever applied per chip
tried), with bios released long after the CPUs were.

What you mean to say is that you couldn't get them to work.
There's a big difference. Most people couldn't get the 2200+
to work in any board that had multiplier control when it came
out. That doesn't mean it didn't work. it just meant they
didn't know what they were doing.:-)

OK, then tell me why a K7VZM wouldn't run an XP1800 at 100MHz
FSB?

How should I know why the one you tried didn't work. There
could be many reasons. This much I can tell you. It's not
because the chipset won't support it. Specs for the XP cpu are
for FSB's as low as 50MHz. It could be a problem with power,
timing or many other things. Now since you don't have this
board any more to try some things, what's the point of me
wasteing my time guessing?

Wes Newell, that is nothing but a bold faced get-out! OMG!

No it was a perfect response for a question that had no positive answer.

You first of all say that you reckon this stuff would work and then when
you are asked to put some facts where your mouth is, you start heavily
qualifying all the squillions of variables that you don't know or don't
have control over.

All the facts are on my web page. Check it out.

Maybe you will start trumping up that you don't know what phase the moon
wa sin when Kony tried to get it going. For my money Kony is a
practical hands-on guy and you are just some old duffer spouting a
mixture of theory and comments about how people these days don't know
what they are doing. Sure, you know your theory but you're way too
negative.

Well, I don't know kony, and I don't know what he did or didn't do when
he had the board. And I made it clear that there's no reason an XP cpu
shouldn't work with any KT133 chipset board. So, as long as the board
actually followed the reference board specs, the cpu should work in it
too. I suppose it's possible that the board wasn't designed to specs, if
it won't run an XP cpu, or it could be that the board he had was
defective. And it could have been many other things too. I've had several
people say their board wouldn't run XP's, but in the end, they did.

The bottom line about thi sthread is that the thing didn't work and you
had reckoned you could make it work. So why don't you now answer Kony
properly? So what settings would you make to get it to work?

I've got probably 50 MB manuals in pdf form That i've used to help people
with problems. If you have this board and need help, I'll dl the
manual for this board and help you. If you don't, I've wasted all the time
I'm going to waste with you. So give me all the settings you currently
have, along with all your system specs and a description of the problem if
you want help.

And i've removed the crosspsoting. No need to to bore everyone with this.