Sys adv pls. athlon64 oc'ing or?

Old December 28th 04, 07:39 PM
Billson

Default Sys adv pls. athlon64 oc'ing or?

Need to buy a new system in the 1K range. I want to play first person
shooter games online on my highspeed connection.

Definitely want AMD and will overclock.

I'm looking for best bang for buck.

I'm thinking of the Athlon 64 and have read the Epox 9NDA3+ Mobo might
be good with it.

Mainly looking for suggestions involving case, mobo, cpu, ram, vid all
working together.

Not looking for upgradablility.

Also looking for any quick rec's on some periferals tho not as
important of course... DVD RW, CD Burner, Rom, opt mouse, keyboard,
sound, HD.

I live in Vancouver Canada and hear atic.ca has good prices but would
love some other rec's for retailers.

thanks very much for any help
Bill
Old December 28th 04, 07:55 PM
Billson

sorry, I should've mentioned re-sound advise- just the card as I run
it thro harman kardon amp to 2 paradigm compact speakers.

thanks again

Old December 28th 04, 08:30 PM
Ykalon

Billson wrote:
Need to buy a new system in the 1K range. I want to play first person
shooter games online on my highspeed connection.

Definitely want AMD and will overclock.

I'm looking for best bang for buck.

I'm thinking of the Athlon 64 and have read the Epox 9NDA3+ Mobo might
be good with it.

Mainly looking for suggestions involving case, mobo, cpu, ram, vid all
working together.

Not looking for upgradablility.

Also looking for any quick rec's on some periferals tho not as
important of course... DVD RW, CD Burner, Rom, opt mouse, keyboard,
sound, HD.

I live in Vancouver Canada and hear atic.ca has good prices but would
love some other rec's for retailers.

thanks very much for any help
Bill

Get ASUS A8N SLI and 2 6800 GT if you want a performance monster that
you won't NEED to upgrade for a LONG time:-)

Old December 29th 04, 05:24 AM
Roy

"Billson" wrote in message
Need to buy a new system in the 1K range. I want to play first person
shooter games online on my highspeed connection.

Definitely want AMD and will overclock.

I'm looking for best bang for buck.

I'm thinking of the Athlon 64 and have read the Epox 9NDA3+ Mobo might
be good with it.

I love my MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat. Works great with my A64 3000+ Winchester.
Definitely get G.Skill ram pc4400 TCCD with good timings LE and LF series
are best. I got mine and overclocked my cpu from 1.8 to 2.5 with no bother.
That is with 1T command rate and 2.5 3 3 10 timings at 278 htt with the ht
multiplier set at 3. And that is with stock voltages and not even pushing
the memory at all. I am not anywhere near the ceiling with this chip and it
is smoking fast. I have yet to start pushing the htt and voltages higher.
This is THE combination to have. If you have this kind of ram then you
don't need the higher multipliers.

Mainly looking for suggestions involving case, mobo, cpu, ram, vid all
working together.

DVD RW+/- I personally like my LG drive. Good brand and performance.

HD - If you go the ide parallel ata route then get a couple identical
Maxtor ata133 7200rpm 8meg cache drives and run them in a raid 0 config.
mine are 160GB each and they are fast.
If you go the serial ata route - well I can't say for sure since I haven't
tried them.