WMV files not working???

Old March 5th 05, 02:51 AM

Default WMV files not working???

I have Windows XP and I downloaded BS Player but soon after I
uninstalled it. Now I downloaded some WMV files (that I know nothing
about) off of Limewire and for some reason it insists on opening these
files with BS Player even though I uninstalled it. I can run any other
kind of files except WMV on BS Player. When I do run the WMV files, it
always says the files are 20 seconds long and there's no video, just an
IPod ad. What the heck?! I tried opening these same files with
Windows Media Player and Real Player with the same results. My
questions a

1.How come these WMV files are 20 seconds long and only show an IPod
ad instead of any video? Are they fake or something? But they're
completely different files from different people and they're all 20
seconds long with the same ad displayed.

2.Why does Limewire insist on using BS Player as the default player
even though it's been uninstalled?

Old March 7th 05, 05:01 PM

WMV = Windows Media Video

Let's answer Question 2 first:
When you install applications (such as BS Player), these applications
often tell Windows to associate certain types of files with that
application. Some of the better ones ask if you want to do this (or
allow you to choose), but most will just rudely do it without notifying
you.

Apparently, the uninstall program for BS Player did not tell Windows to
use a different program to open WMV files. You will need to do this
manually. The easiest way is to download Windows Media Player from MS
and install it - windows media player is one of those applications that
will change file associations without telling your. If you don't want
to do that, select:
Start - Settings - Control Panel - Folder Options. Select the
third tab labeled "File types". Scroll down til you see WMV. In the
box where it says "Opens with: BS Player", click the button to the
right that says "Change", then select the player you want (WMP or Real
Player)

As to question 1, you've probably agreed to viewing the iPod ad when
you downloaded these "free" WMV files from various sources. Just like
you agree to put commercials on your TV when you download "free" TV
shows on the air waves.

Far Cry Glitch Ati Videocards 14 June 30th 05 11:47 PM
Only half of my files were shown Wishy13764 Cdr 2 September 8th 04 07:05 AM
Multi-Session Recording using image files Remo-Shiva Cdr 8 May 28th 04 07:01 PM
LITEON's dark secret? No Longer a LiteOn Customer Homebuilt PC's 49 April 15th 04 04:41 AM
Please Help Mary Ati Videocards 36 February 29th 04 07:28 PM