Packard Bell Legend 105CD - Restore CD Format Number?

Old May 31st 04, 12:20 PM
Elector

On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:28:08 -0400, "SonicClub" had this to say and
I had to reply to it:

::The BU\A directory on the CD has 45 .scr files, all about 120kb - 130kb,
:ne of them is more like 110kb. Anyway, they're numbered one after
::another, the number the first file has is 555476.SCR, then the next one is
::555477.SCR, then 555478.SCR, as you guessed it, just look at the first
::file name 555476.SCR, then add 1 number to that number to get the next
::number, they're all numbered one after the other, the last file is
::555520.SCR, it evenly counts all the way up to that file name number, the
::same concept of counting, like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and so
:n.. see? The BU directory itself has the folders A, D, E, F, H, I, J, K,
::L, M, and N, each folder after A appears to have particles or pieces of
::some of the software that came with my computer. I notice there is no B,
::C, or G folder, oh well, I suppose that's how they designed the restore
::CD. You know...about those numbered .scr files I was naming a while ago,
::could any of those possibly be format numbers? in the M folder, there are
::some numbers on folders witch match the .scr file numbers, the folders
::within the numbered folders have more pieces of programs and stuff though,
::but still. The folders in the M folder labeled with simular numbers are
::555476, and it does that counting thing again, all the way up to 555483,
::so not as many folders as .scr files. I remember reading on this one site
::that was giving packard bell help, they said to enter 555477 if it asks
::for a format number or something...I tried and tried and it didn't work,
::but then one time I don't know what happened, it just started installing
:r something, this was a little while back, a month or so ago possibly,
::when it supposedly restored I don't think it did it right because some
::things seemed messed up or uncompleted, I must've done something wrong,
::keep in mind that the files with the numbers are 6 digits, is that how
::long format numbers for these computers are? I will try a few and let you
::know the result..

It would very well seem that the xxxxx.scr is the format number process as I posted a few days ago.
It was nice to see I have not totally lost my mind.

In a post here many years ago there was a fellow as I also stated before, that said to simply make
up any number to get past that format command line and let the system restore its self. There is a
program/command I noticed at the PB site that can extract the format number from the system after
it is up and running for folks who did not have the system credentials sheet.

http://support.packardbell.com/it/my...00632&Ctype=dl

There is also a program that can be run that also will give this information. But alas only after
the system is up and running. Maybe a person here that has a simular system can run the command and
tell you what the format number is.

Elector

Old May 31st 04, 08:10 PM
Dennis Schmitz

http://support.packardbell.com/it/my...ic_00632&Ctype
=dl

There is also a program that can be run that also will give this

information. But alas only after
the system is up and running. Maybe a person here that has a simular

system can run the command and
tell you what the format number is.

Elector

Pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't the format number printed on the label on
the HDD? That is where it was on my old Legend 4670.
It was running a Maxtor 1.2 GB HDD.
If you are using the original HDD, and the case is open, look at that label.

Old June 1st 04, 12:34 AM
Elector

"Dennis Schmitz" wrote in message
snip

Pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't the format number printed on the

label on
the HDD? That is where it was on my old Legend 4670.
It was running a Maxtor 1.2 GB HDD.
If you are using the original HDD, and the case is open, look at

that label.

You may be correct, however the original HD that came with my Packard
Bell Door Stop was very small in size and I just junked it shortly
after purchase.

Nice to see you post here again..!

Elector

Old June 1st 04, 02:36 AM
Dennis Schmitz

Elector wrote in message

"Dennis Schmitz" wrote in message
snip

Pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't the format number printed on the

label on
the HDD? That is where it was on my old Legend 4670.
It was running a Maxtor 1.2 GB HDD.
If you are using the original HDD, and the case is open, look at

that label.

You may be correct, however the original HD that came with my Packard
Bell Door Stop was very small in size and I just junked it shortly
after purchase.

Nice to see you post here again..!

Elector

Thanks Elector !

Been lurking for some time now. I don't feel that I know enough to
contribute very often, but this time it felt like I could help.

Old June 1st 04, 12:40 PM
Elector

"metronid" wrote in message
Use generic for ther format #

Which is what I already told them to do. I know that a made up number will
work but I was not sure of the last identifier .src scr etc.
Elector'

Old June 1st 04, 12:42 PM
Elector

"Dennis Schmitz" wrote in message
snip
Thanks Elector !

Been lurking for some time now. I don't feel that I know enough to
contribute very often, but this time it felt like I could help.

I love seeing the old time posters back here again. I don't get here that
much myself. Metronid and Ben have been doing a load of the help. Nice to
see some of the others are helping out again.

Elector

Old June 1st 04, 08:55 PM

Hi,

Just to say I also bought a packard bell pc. i xtreme ixtreme 7050.

What a mistake, I got it in a wrong language. No distribution CD. No
master. Now to change it, I call the packard bell support at least 10
times (0900) here in belgium, just to hear that all lines are busy.
I've got via a // way the master cd's but apparently I to change the
tattoo ????

FOR ALL THE OTHERS: NEVER, NEVER BUY A PACKARD BELL, any other PC but
not a PACKARD BELL
Old June 2nd 04, 05:36 AM
metronid

I had a problem reading all the posts
The answer where to find the #'s was
also good
I believe it only aks those numbers
if it is to be formatted then restored
I could be wrong
I have that Master CD in my collection
In fact I had a PB that used that CD 170210
It can always be formatted with the restore
floppy only
In fact that version can be restored manually
by first installing dos then Windows (311)

All the other garbage can be accessed from the folders

I kind of liked Winows 311 for various reasons
It allowed me to use my brain when doing things
It was just DOS 6.x there abouts with a nice GUI

My daughter loved it and learned quite a bit
Now she uses winXP
She no longer needs her brain to do chat

"Elector" wrote in message
news

Old June 2nd 04, 05:45 AM
metronid

I am not praising Packar bell
My original 486 still works
It did work but I have been selling parts on Ebay

They did excatly what they were supposed to do for the price.

There of course were the problem sides
That was more with customer service and that did (SUCK)

Dell for example does not sll the best computer
They are priced right
They do offer good phone service

I hope PB Europe has learned from their mistakes
and are looking at their competition

I ramble
As far as restore CD,s go
They are nice for the fact that they have all the needed drivers
I am not crazy about any software bundles and their associated
restore CD
They do this to get a better price from MR BILL I think
I could be wrong

Just go out and get a real copy of Windows and forget about the restore
CD's
As far as phone sevice be persistent

om...