Surely SOMEBODY knows what a 4880 (200Mhz?) is?

Old October 29th 03, 07:27 PM
Licensed to Quill

Default Surely SOMEBODY knows what a 4880 (200Mhz?) is?

Saw no response to my earlier post and wonder if everyone thinks that the
question had been answered?

Surely SOMEBODY knows what a Multimedia 4880 is? I think it runs at 200Mhz
and can't find anything about it from the PB site

Even the FCC ID No: is impenetrable: FCC ID 1441CM14017

(The FCC doesnt even recognise it as a valid number without a prefix)

Licensed to Quill

Old October 29th 03, 08:09 PM
Elector

"Licensed to Quill" wrote in
message ...
Saw no response to my earlier post and wonder if everyone thinks

that the
question had been answered?

Surely SOMEBODY knows what a Multimedia 4880 is? I think it runs at

200Mhz
and can't find anything about it from the PB site

Even the FCC ID No: is impenetrable: FCC ID 1441CM14017

(The FCC doesnt even recognise it as a valid number without a

prefix)

Licensed to Quill

Licensed to Quill:

That is not really that unusual. Many folks including myself only
answer if the answers are known to them. It would do you no service to
receive a wrong answer. I have checked the disk from my friend Velix
and I see no mention of the 4880 or at Ray's Packard bell Web Site.

You may very well have a stumper. But here is a thought. Take a
digital photo of the complete system and up load them to a free web
site and then post the links back here for someone to view. It may
simply be that the system is not a 4880 but called something else.

Try and take close ups of the systems complete stickers no matter
where they are located (chassis, monitor, back or side panels) and
lets see this mystery machine.
Then I am sure someone here will have the answer you seek.

I hope that helped?

Elector

Old October 29th 03, 08:23 PM
Elector

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:27:45 -0500, "Licensed to Quill" had this
to say and I had to reply to it:

::Saw no response to my earlier post and wonder if everyone thinks that the
::question had been answered?
::
::Surely SOMEBODY knows what a Multimedia 4880 is? I think it runs at 200Mhz
::and can't find anything about it from the PB site
::
::Even the FCC ID No: is impenetrable: FCC ID 1441CM14017
::
:The FCC doesnt even recognise it as a valid number without a prefix)
::
::Licensed to Quill
::

Licensed to Quill: (Follow Up Post)

According to this web site http://www.memoryx.net/presario4880.html its a Compaq Presario 4880 and
not a Packard Bell.

see he http://h18020.www1.hp.com/newsroom/p...pr150498b.html and
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwar...857&sw_lang=en
and http://tinyurl.com/swfd and http://tinyurl.com/swfo

All of which would lead me to beleive the company is Hewlett Packard (formally Compaq) and Not
Packard Bell.

Elector

Old October 29th 03, 10:30 PM
Licensed to Quill

Hi Elector

I dont want to quibble but if it says Packard Bell all over it and describes
itself as a Multimedia and the model number on the back specifically calls
it a 4880 and I think it runs at 200Mhz (makingit a Pentium 1) why woudl I
think it is a rebadged computer made by a RIVAL manufacturer and sold some
time later with a 400 Mhz Pentium 2? Is there some link which would tell me
this and (what I really want to know before I try to fix it up for her) what
motherboard it has? I am not trying to pick an argument: Is there a chance
that for some reason it has the same motherboard running ar a reduced speed
when initially put out (and with a different processor)?

Old October 29th 03, 10:53 PM
Elector

[...]

No problem. When looking at all the data for Packard Bell computers it is
not found. That was why I said to photograph the unit from all sides and
front and back so we here can actually see the system.

When Ray & Velix had their help sites the models were listed as well as
different motherboards but in any sense of the word if doing a search on a
unit results in only a Compaq with that designation then that was the reason
for the links. Sometime ago I was told when I was helping at the CompuServe
PB Forum PB often placed hybrid models out which fit into no actual
designation. I know that they were cited for using second parts, but they
could have actually built these throw together under a different name.

On my purchase of a Legend Supreme 60, many years ago, the motherboard was
a PB520R and even that was not exactly right since they had more than one
version of that motherboard. Did you try running Belarc Advisor? It may give
you your motherboard details. Also there is a program called CPUID which may
also tell you what you want to know.

I have done probably what you did, I went to PB UK and other sites like
Google and there were no Packard Bell models 4880. If Ben Myers was still
posting here he may know of another name for this model. I personally could
not locate it. Simon or Anthony or KC if he is not busy may have a better
idea.

That was also why I stated in my first post that you may not have received
any answers because it was a stumper. It happens. I don't get angry over
disagreements so think nothing of it :-)

Maybe if you can take the photos and send links to them via visuals someone
may just have your answer.

Sorry I could not help.

Elector

Old October 30th 03, 07:50 AM
metronid

I have no listing
I catalogue everything

I would do the following
Sometimes it will tell the MB on boot
Something like PBMB520 etc

If not
The bios string is helpful

Or open the case and use the link Elector gave you
You can see pictures of the MB there

Packard bell was know for using quite a few numbers

Try google searches for somethng close to a 4880
Or recheck the number

Old October 30th 03, 01:44 PM
Licensed to Quill

Well thanks for the response but the position is that I am in New York and
she is in London without a keyboard or mouse (and probably can't even plug
it in anyway). So I did rather need to figure out which keyboard plug it
has so that I can bring one over (rather than having to bring two over with
me next time I come to London) and whether this Pentium 1 unit takes simms
or dimms (or, unusually, both at the same time) so I can bring more memory.
And if I can bring more memory over, does it have one of those stupidly
small hard drives companies sometimes used at that time so should I bother
to bring a real one over with me? Or is there no real point in my doing
this with Windows 2000 loaded on it if it can only take (for example) two
SIMMS? (I have successfully run Windows 2000 on a 233 Mhz with 128 Meg and
a properly partitioned hard drive with the pagesys file on its own partition
and may be able to do the same with this computer: Or if I know the
motherboard configuration in advance, can I put a 233 Pentium 2 in it?)

(and yes, Metronid, there is always a slight possiblity that she managed to
get the numbers wrong although she insists she got them correct)

Old October 30th 03, 09:47 PM
Anthony

[...]

I am going to take a guess that it is most likely a socket 7
motherboard...~Probably~ would be safe to say that it takes 72pin simms for
memory if it is running @ 200mhz. But by no means rely on this info, it is
just a guess.

I would have her take it to a local shop, and see if they can get it to boot
up and get the BIOS string. With the BIOS string we (the group) can for
sure tell you all you need to know about the system. That shouldn't cost
too much.

And the 4880 has me stumped too!

Regards,
Anthony

Old October 30th 03, 10:05 PM
Anthony

"Licensed to Quill" wrote in message
Saw no response to my earlier post and wonder if everyone thinks that the
question had been answered?

Surely SOMEBODY knows what a Multimedia 4880 is? I think it runs at

200Mhz
and can't find anything about it from the PB site

Even the FCC ID No: is impenetrable: FCC ID 1441CM14017

(The FCC doesnt even recognise it as a valid number without a prefix)

Licensed to Quill

More info....

I am also guessing that 1441CM14017 is not the FCCID#

Packard Bells' grantte code codes wer either FOD or IFO and usualy the FCCID
would give the show what the system was e.g FOD680PT is a packard bell with
a 680 serries motherboard in it. Have her give you all the numbers off the
system stickers and with some help from the group we WILL figure this one
out!!!!

Regards,
Anthony

Old October 31st 03, 02:19 AM
BR549

"Licensed to Quill" wrote in message ...
Saw no response to my earlier post and wonder if everyone thinks that the
question had been answered?

Surely SOMEBODY knows what a Multimedia 4880 is? I think it runs at 200Mhz
and can't find anything about it from the PB site

Even the FCC ID No: is impenetrable: FCC ID 1441CM14017

(The FCC doesnt even recognise it as a valid number without a prefix)

Licensed to Quill

These PB model numbers are completely irrelevant to their
specifications. I have six different PB computers with different model
numbers and every one of them has the same motherboard and processor
and OEM hard drive capacities. I would not expect to ascertain the
exact hardware of this computer based only on the model number. As
Anthony stated, the bios string will be the real identifier and will
undoubtedly provide the information you seek. Good hunting!