video card in 930950 motherboard

Old October 5th 03, 12:04 AM

Default video card in 930950 motherboard

"destinywlf" wrote
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7109&CatId=319
would the video card on this site work in this sytem. i want to put a video
card in this machine and i do know i have to use pci is there any hope or
anything someone knows i can put in here thats way better that the ati on
board thats on it

Destinywlf:

This reminds me of the story about teaching a pig how to dance. You can,
but the result will be disappointing, and you will annoy the pig. The
GE-Force may be a great card, but is it worth $69 plus shipping? If you have
not upgraded the RAM on your computer, you face the expense of buying two
128MB chips to take your computer to the maximum of 256MB. It seems you are
facing well over $100 in hardware costs, and even more if you have to pay
for labor. There are complete new systems with speeds in excess of 2,000
(yours is up to 350), AGP graphics, faster bus speeds, bigger and faster
disks, USB 2.0, etc. in the low two-hundred dollar range. There is always a
sense of achievement in tinkering with our old computers, but you may want
to look carefully at your total budget for this upgrade versus buying a new
box.

View the UPDATED FAQ for alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Old October 5th 03, 09:17 AM
destinywlf

yea i do plan on buying a new sytem eventually. right now i have a 550 mhz
processor in here set at 500 mhz i tried and tried to get it to run at 550
but it just couldnt do it maybe a heat problem not sure. ive maxed the
memory already at 256 mb. someone in here said they actually put 2 256 mb
dimms in theres and had it work. i went with what the specs on the board.

Old October 5th 03, 12:49 PM
Elector

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 08:17:39 GMT, "destinywlf" had this to say and I had
to reply to it:

::yea i do plan on buying a new sytem eventually. right now i have a 550 mhz
:rocessor in here set at 500 mhz i tried and tried to get it to run at 550
::but it just couldnt do it maybe a heat problem not sure. ive maxed the
::memory already at 256 mb. someone in here said they actually put 2 256 mb
::dimms in theres and had it work. i went with what the specs on the board.

Your maximum speed should never be exceeded due to your system being over taxed and as you
mentioned the heat factor is a major cause of failure in over clocking.

You also really don't need to try and give yourself more ram if your already at the max and on the
card itself as in many of the newer ones (I use a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 256MB of ram on the
board.) So more system memory is not the way to go and make more of an expense on your self.

It also depends on what your use the system for, gaming or everyday web surfing. Even though I have
advocated many folks to look at the total cost of the system upgrade versus the total cost of the
system ( I have told a few folks that at Dell the total cost of a system right now is around $499
after a rebate.) So if you were purchasing a new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro at $420 retail it would make
more sense to buy the whole system, but never spend more than you have to and in your case take
your time and enjoy the computer you have. Even now with my building HOME systems it cost more than
buying the complete system at Dell or HP. So I can just take it easy and not do it for now.

But tinkering around is still a passion of mine and I guess that is something many folks like to
do.

I wish you luch in your upgrade. If you shop around you may get that video card cheaper closer to
home. I use CompUsa alot and many of the others like Circuit City and Best Buy may be in your area
which with sales and bargains galore you can actually get a better price. Caution: I don't advocate
the use of Ebay since there may be a cheaper price but many times what you bid and pay for is not
actually what you receive. So be wary going that route if your thinking about it.

You have a nice week and I hope I was of assistance to you.

Elector

Old October 5th 03, 01:37 PM

"destinywlf" wrote in message
newssQfb.683481$Ho3.146271@sccrnsc03...

yea i do plan on buying a new sytem eventually. right now i have a 550 mhz
processor in here set at 500 mhz i tried and tried to get it to run at 550
but it just couldnt do it maybe a heat problem not sure. ive maxed the
memory already at 256 mb. someone in here said they actually put 2 256 mb
dimms in theres and had it work. i went with what the specs on the board.

Sounds like you understand the rewards and risks of upgrading. Since you
have already maxed out your memory, adding that GE-Force card is an
incremental cost. It does not change the total upgrading cost, only the
incremental cost and you could end up putting more than the cost of a new
system into your upgrade. You may be able to find this card (or perhaps a
similar card) at a better price using one of the comparison shoppers like
www.mysimon.com. Good luck and happy hunting!

View the UPDATED FAQ for alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Old October 5th 03, 08:24 PM
destinywlf

"Elector" wrote in message
[...]

yea mostly its a web surfing system but i want it to at least support
streaming video and stuff without freezing all the time. and yes tinkering
with it is fun, and when i do buy a new system i want to pretty much say
what i want in it and nothing more. and no added software just what i want.
so ill leave the memory at 256 crucil also told me to stay with the
motherboard specs. Ive also heard sometimes more ram can actually slow it
down if it doesnt have support for that much. i had someone on ebay with a
good rep attempt to rip me off about a year ago so im kind of scared of
using ebay even though before that i had no problems. paypal did get the
money back for me so that was nice. anyways i think i will go for the new
card although i may look around a little more like you suggested. mostly
online as i live where theres no computer store and i dont drive. thanks
much youve been alot of help mainly i didnt want to spend any amount of
money on something that didnt work.

Old October 5th 03, 11:08 PM
Elector

[...]

Many times folks believe more is better. But alas it is not always so.
For what you want to do, a basic video card upgrade is the simplest.
And as I said shopping around can save you even more. I have accounts
with http://www.staples.com and http://www.compusa.com and you can
also use many other online stores http://www.bestbuy.com and
http://www.circuitcity.com and I also like http://www.buy.com search
around for the best price and some of them offer free ground shipping
(Buy Com) and offer great specials.

And I agree about spending money on products that don't work. its a
total waste.

Enjoy your week my friend..

Elector

Old October 6th 03, 04:16 PM

destinywlf wrote: yea mostly its a web surfing system but i want it to at
least support streaming video and stuff without freezing all the time. and
yes tinkering with it is fun snip

Are you upgrading to the video card because of the problem you have with
your system freezing? What kind of broadband connection do you have? Have
you run the diagnostics and speed test at dslreports.com?

Practice safe tinkering and always wear a grounding strap.

View the UPDATED FAQ for alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell

Old October 10th 03, 08:25 AM
destinywlf

main reason I want to upgrade is anytime. I view videos or anything video
intensive it will freeze at times. also software that checks your video ram
usually wont install it sees 2 mb and usually most requires 16 mb. speed
test I get at dslreports are usually about 3.2 mb upload about 380 kb. far
as web surfing e-mail the system runs smoothly and running rhapsody runs
great to problems. anything that requires video support cant handle it even
in 98 when this system was purchase 2mb I feel was way under what they
should've put on it. my friend would bring games over and they mouse would
freeze. and the games would move ultra slow. I don't want a gaming system
by any means. it would be a waste to even think I could make this system
run games. I just want it to do internet stuff decently. would a video
using a video card help thsi?? I do want to get a new system but even 500 to
get a new system is more than the 70 im looking at for this card. when i do
get a new sytem least then i could set this box up for a nice sytem for my
coisins kids to fool around with or put it in my room for e-mail a nd some
web browsing and mp3s or something. so will this upgrade accomplish what i
want it to do better??

Old October 10th 03, 11:36 AM
Elector

[...]

destinywlf:

Symptoms you describe can be anything from not enough ram to not
enough video ram or not a fast enough processor. And that is just
touching the basics. You can also factor in such things as "do you
have the latest drivers for your video'? "do you use the latest
versions of the software to watch videos"? (Media Player 9, and or
WinDvd, Or Power Dvd, or other such programs. I think Real has a
player called Real One) Then there is also the possibility of
conflicts with other programs or .dlls in the system.

The possibilities are endless. 2MB however in the older machines were
perfect since the technology of 10 years ago that was more than what
you needed in your systems. Over the last 10 years the net has geared
towards the newer, faster, better video and audio and its being
gobbled up faster than corn by chickens. I also have the Rhapsody
service under broad band but my system has audio and video that runs
into the hundreds of dollars. My main system with its devices run well
over $6,000.00 but in today's market what I paid big money for over
the years is now probably worth $2500.00 quite a step down I would
say.

The video card is a basic upgrade. It is an easy upgrade and it can
only improve the overall performance of your system if the other
components can handle the additional device.

Its a gamble as I have told you in over seven replies in this thread.

Elector

Old October 10th 03, 03:14 PM

"destinywlf" wrote

[...]

Dear Destinywlf:

Thanks for the detailed answer to my question.

The new video card "MIGHT" help, but is is entirely possible that you would
continue to have problems. Diagnosing problems on PCs can be very
challenging. You have mentioned a number of symptoms that can be caused by a
large number of other areas, not related to your video card.

If you want to proceed with the upgrade, make certain the vendor you buy
from will allow you to return the card if it turns out to be
unsatisfactory -- for whatever reason.

I am skeptical that the card will solve your problems.

If you don't have something like Norton Utilities (or any of the major
utility suites), consider getting one. They include a variety of programs
that can diagnose and correct many Windows problems. You can also get a
diagnosis of your computer and some recommendations for upgrading and/or
correcting problems by running the test at www.pcpitstop.com