Overclocking the PB 600 MB.

Old September 26th 07, 08:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Default Overclocking the PB 600 MB.

Hello,,,,,,

The following instructions have been found to speed up
(overcloking????) the PB 600 MB 100MHZ Pentium (Ithink????):

1. J30 closed
2. J31 closed
3. J32 Closed
4. J28 the two inside pins connected

Would like to understand the following:

1. What speed should be expected?
2. Will this require a cooling fan?

THANKS!!!!!

Jerry

Old September 26th 07, 08:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Hello,,,,

OPPPSSS,,,this appears to be my confusion of pin settings for other
CPU's (????) rather than overclocking (????).

Jerry

Old September 26th 07, 08:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Hello,,,,

OK,,,now that some general information about overclocking has been
found it looks like this is the method to do this. So, I have added a
few more questions:

1. Has anyone done this to a PB 600 MB (100mhz Intell)?

2. Is it worth it to overclock the PB 600 Intell 100Mhz CPU and if so
did the new pin settings provide noticable better performance?

3. Can it be set to P133?

Currently it looks like the advise I am seeing on the Internet
recommends not to do this. And I am leaning in that direction. But, if
anyone has done this and has had no problems it would be nice to know
their experience.

THANKS!!!!

Jerry

Old September 26th 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Jerry !

Overclocking. Ah, a subject that has been discussed at length. :-)

First off, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Your Socket 5 board has a max
capability of 133MHz, with "standard" stuff.

2X66MHz FSB

Your 100MHz CPU is already running at it's maximum. *IF* you had had a 90MHz
CPU, running 1.5X60MHz, , you could set it at 66MHz, and get it to run
100MHz. ( 1.5X66MHz)

( Note: I almost always ran a 50 or 60Mhz FSB CPU at 66MHz FSB "back in the
day". I never had a problem. Now before everyone sharpens their pencils, and
types that THEY had a problem, please keep in mind that I said *I* never had
a problem. Intel is pretty conservative with their CPU's, and I have rarely
seen one that would not run a slightly faster FSB. Note that I haven't typed
anything about changing the muliplier. I NEVER got that to work
personally. )

Your 100MHz CPU will not run at 2X clock multiplier. So you're going to have
to get a 133MHz CPU to run this board at it's fastest speed. You *can* use a
150, 166, or 200MHz CPU by the way to do this. Simply clock them at 2X66MHz,
and they will run 133MHz.

Now, if you want a Socket 5 board to go faster, you have a couple of
options. You can get an Intel POD 200MHz Overdrive CPU, simply plug it in
( usually), and it will run at 3X66MHz for 200MHz. *Most* of the time, you
don't need to fiddle with the BIOS, but I believe you have already updated
yours anyway.

Another option is to locate an Evergreen 400MHz upgrade CPU. This is
basically an AMD 400MHz K6-2 CPU on an interposer with voltage regulator,
allowing a 6X66MHz setting. These occasionally show up on eBay. Not too
expensive. I have a couple of these running successfully in old PB boards.
Both are Socket 7 though. I have no doubt however that they would work on a
Socket 5 board. If you manage to find one, be sure to get one in "kit" form,
because they come with a Mr. Bios upgrade necessary to recognize this CPU.

Frankly, the biggest problem is the lack of L2 cache with most PB boards.
The Platinum series has 256K L2, and they are the ones to get. This really
speeds things up. I would rather have a board with L2 cache and a slightly
slower CPU than a faster CPU and no L2.

Hope that helps.

bob

Old September 26th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

You can install a 133MHz Pentium CPU in the system with no problem. Nominal
speedup.

No overclocking possible.

You can also install a 200MHz Pentium OverDrive in the beast, if you can find
one. Noticeable speedup. I might have one in the rubble of computer parts
here... Ben Myers

Old September 27th 07, 03:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On Sep 26, 5:17 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:
[...]

Jerry- Hide quoted text -

Just for reference
j32 is the multiplier
out is 1.5x in is 2.0
j30 31 sets the bus
out out is 50mhz
in out is 60mhz
in in is 66mhz

Can anyone guess what out in is

A 200mhz uses its own multiplier I believe
probably 66 times 3

I belive the above to be true
based only on observation and deduction

Old September 27th 07, 03:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On Sep 26, 10:26 pm, metronid wrote:
On Sep 26, 5:17 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:

[...]

based only on observation and deduction- Hide quoted text -

Also for some chipsets the multiplication can be changed
in Windows with certain questionable programs
I do not believe it works here
Mainly for AMD processors

Intel has been known to manufacturer same CPU and just mark it with 2
different
Speeds as they did with their PODP

In any case most any CPU's will withstand a 10% variance

Old September 27th 07, 04:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Yes, but the 200MHz Pentium OverDrive ignores the clock multiplier settings and
only cares about the bus setting. Intel made this one easy to install, and it
was perhaps Intel's best effort ever at an OverDrive processor, except that it
provided not too much bang for the buck when coming from a 100MHz CPU. It also
works in both Socket 5 and Socket 7. Set the bus speed to 66Mhz, pop in the
CPU, connect up the fan power, and off you go.

Maybe even more successful was the 100MHz 486 Pentium OverDrive. You felt like
you were flying if you put it in a motherboard in place of 25MHz 486 or, better
still, the early 20MHz 486. But that was back in the days where clock
multipliers really meant something, as in 2x, 3x, and 4x, the latter for an AMD
133MHz 486 workalike.

Nowadays with the Pentium 4 systems, there is no too much benefit going from a
2,0GHz P4 to a 2.6Ghz one, for example... Ben Myers

Old September 27th 07, 05:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Hello All ,,,,,,

THANKS for all the advise.

And, the more I think about it, I have been satisfied with the PB 600
MB 100MHz performance, especially after it was upgraded to W98SE and
memory added to 48MB. The additional memeory made a noticable increase
in performance!

Based on this discussion and othrers, overclocking or swithcing to a
different CPU is not necessary based on the performance being
experienced. In the beginning of this Subject the idea was to see if
this could be done for this cpu and what if any noticaable diffenece
was experienced. If acceptable then learn how to do it. Mostly,
general suggestions for any cpu was "not to overclock". While others
have had reported success in overclocking their particular cpu. What
has been mentioned here as well as other searches related to this
Subject, the thought for this cpu (Intel Pentium at 100Mhz) is to go
with more or additional memories if the slots and or space is
available. It certainly is for 48MB RAM to go to 136.

I am looking at the specs and board to see if any furhter memories
can be added or installed. It is certain that more RAM can be
installed.

THANKS for your time, help, and advise!!!!

Jerry

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:14:50 -0400, "Robert E. Watts"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old September 27th 07, 07:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Hello Bob,,,,,,

OK,,,,,I just dug through my records that I had printed out from this
Group relating to ~~~600 Upgrades~~~. That was a long time ago and I
had forgotten I had these. I am surprised I still had them (vintagee
Group dat 1997-2003). And, I apologize for any inconvience.

Based on the dicussion here and those other listings along with the
pin orientaion listed on the specs for the 600MB, I now see the
default delivery for that board is set for max cpu as you mentioned
below. Next time I get a look at the MB I will make sure these are the
same. They should be because it was purchased new "off the shelf".

The pin orientation for J31 is set default as Host Bus Frequency at
50/60 Mhz and I doubt that setting it to 66Mhz would show any
"eye-ball popping" noticable increase in performance.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

wrote:

[...]

.. .