Vintage Dell laptop--sell complete, piece out, or donate?

Old March 7th 07, 03:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jean S. Barto

Default Vintage Dell laptop--sell complete, piece out, or donate?

Hi folks--

I have a 1999 era Dell Inspiron 3700 laptop that is used, but still works.
I have everything that came along with it, except for the AC adaptor (the
cord frayed on it). I have replaced the removable battery‹the old one got
worn out. I also upgraded the OS to Windows ME, and have all the stuff it
came with‹manuals, software, etc. I also have other third-party software on
it, to include Office 2000 and a Norton virus detection program.

I realize that this is an old system, but I do see them listed on eBay,
without the accessories, usually. Some work, others are sold mostly for the
parts.

So, is a system like this worth selling ³whole² (all accessories and manuals
included), or would I have better luck selling it piece-by-piece? Donating
it is also an option, although I don¹t really need the tax write-off this
year.

Thanks,
Jean in VA

Old March 7th 07, 03:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

Jean S. Barto wrote:
Hi folks--

I have a 1999 era Dell Inspiron 3700 laptop that is used, but still
works. I have everything that came along with it, except for the AC
adaptor (the cord frayed on it). I have replaced the removable
battery—the old one got worn out. I also upgraded the OS to Windows ME,
and have all the stuff it came with—manuals, software, etc. I also have
other third-party software on it, to include Office 2000 and a Norton
virus detection program.

I realize that this is an old system, but I do see them listed on eBay,
without the accessories, usually. Some work, others are sold mostly for
the parts.

So, is a system like this worth selling “whole” (all accessories and
manuals included), or would I have better luck selling it
piece-by-piece? Donating it is also an option, although I don’t really
need the tax write-off this year.

Donate it and, please, don't post in HTML!

--
Notan
Old March 7th 07, 06:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Mar 6, 7:47 pm, "Jean S. Barto" wrote:
[...]

Well, it's still a serviceable machine, as a tax write off, somewhere
between $100 and $200 would be reasonable.

Other than the power brick, is there any problem with it?

If no, then wipe the drive and donate it. We use DBAN for this
purpose.

dban.sourceforge.net

If you want to have control over where it ends up, then perhaps a
neighbor kid might find it useful for schoolwork. No tax write off for
that, though.

If it's an unstable POS, you might want to part it out, than inflict
it on somebody, though.

Old March 7th 07, 04:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jean S. Barto

On 3/7/07 1:21 AM, in article
, "
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for writing back. It works, although the case is cracked on the left
side, at the joint next to the "Esc" key, and the four small rubber "feet"
on the bottom came of a long time ago. I have VirusScan on it, and it
doesn't have any viruses, and I also use another program that locates and
zaps the cookies, etc.

So, I guess you think it's not worth listing on eBay, even though it works
OK?

Jean

Old March 7th 07, 05:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fixer

Depends how much your really hoping /think its worth
"Jean S. Barto" wrote in message

On 3/7/07 1:21 AM, in article
, "

Old March 7th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Mar 7, 8:51 am, "Jean S. Barto" wrote:
On 3/7/07 1:21 AM, in article
om, "

wrote:
[...]

Well, for all of the hype, EBAY can be a real pain in the butt. The
condition is fair. Everybody loses the rubber feet

You'll probably get around $130 for it.

Old March 7th 07, 08:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

I'd tend to put it in a closet and forget it on speculation that it
will come in handy someday. Along with my monitors from the 1980s
(valuable Motorola 68010 chips inside! Who can bear to throw those
out?).
--
Ron Hardin

Old March 7th 07, 08:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
hdrdtd

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I'd tend to put it in a closet and forget it on speculation that it
will come in handy someday. Along with my monitors from the 1980s
(valuable Motorola 68010 chips inside! Who can bear to throw those
out?).

You mean like old IBM , HP, and SUN workstation monitors 20" and bigger that
use the BNC inputs and weigh about 450lbs (or so it seems when carrying them
up the attic stairs?)

Maybe some day I can find a video cable adapter to use them on my Osborne 1
(yes it still works).

--
Ron Hardin

Old March 8th 07, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:47:38 -0500, "Jean S. Barto"
wrote:

So, is a system like this worth selling ³whole² (all accessories and manuals
included), or would I have better luck selling it piece-by-piece? Donating
it is also an option, although I don¹t really need the tax write-off this
year.

I would just donate it. The small amount of $ one could get by
selling it isn't worth the time spent on it IMO. Donation has merit
regardless of whether it's a tax write-off.
Old March 8th 07, 04:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

The nice thing about E-Bay is that it's an auction, and a properly
described and advertised item listed for a one-week auction will set
it's own [generally correct] price with no effort on the part of the
seller. Will it sell? Yes, but don't expect too much, many 1990's era
laptops are only worth in the $30 range (don't know enough about this
particular model to say).

As to selling whole vs. piece-by-piece, it's old enough that there
probably isn't much of a market for individual pieces when the entire
laptop can be bought for a relatively low price.