Is this legal under Distance Selling Regs (or any other UK regualations)?

Old May 6th 04, 09:13 PM
Black Shuck

AK wrote:
"Essex Computers" wrote in message

They already have made 1 extra attempt, they have carded twice, which is

enough IMO

Couriers ALWAYS attempt delivery the next day. What the OP should have done
is called them immediately after the first attempt and arranged a convenient
day for the next attempt. Looks like he did nothing and now he is screwed.

I got home from work at 8:15PM, and the office had already closed that
night, so I could not re-arrange delivery, I phoned at 8:00 (when the
couriers office opened, and the van had alreadt left, not that they
could re-direct it anyway). Although they did have technicallt 2
delivery attempts, I had no chances to cancel the 2nd delivery until I
could get the vendor to request the re-direct.
Old May 6th 04, 09:14 PM
Black Shuck

Peter Crosland wrote:

Ah, but City Link have NOT delivered. The OP is asking them to re-attempt
delivery, presumably because he can arrange to be at home at another time,
and they are not being reasonable - it's not out of order to expect a
courier firm to make at least 1 redelivery attempt.

CityLink are happy to redeliver if asked. All the OP had to do was phone
them.

Nope, the card states they will only try twice. In my sitautation, the
office was closed when I got home on the eve of the 1st delivery, and
the van had already left with my parcel on the 2nd delivery, so could
not "hold" it either..
Old May 6th 04, 09:27 PM
Black Shuck

Comfortably Numb wrote:

Grant wrote:

"Conor" wrote in message

Also every time a redeliver is attampted thats £xx orf fuel and wages
taken out of any profit the carrier makes.

The cost of which would of course have been factored in to the
original contract with the vendor.

But just how many re-deliveries can a company allow for? Would it be
reasonable for a courier firm to factor in 4, 5, 6, or more attempts at
delivery and pass this cost onto the vendors and ultimately to the consumer?
Would you, as someone who makes sure they get their goods on the first or
second attempt, pay more for delivery to allow for those people who need
more than two attempted deliveries?

I still think the vendor and courier are being unreasonable.

1/ Although they offer 1 attempted re-delivery, I could not contact them
before the 2nd delivery attempt had left the depot (due to my long work
hours), so had to deliverys to and address, where I knew nobody would be
home, I admit, the 1st occasion I did know I would not be home, but
redirection with every other courier has never been a problem, plus they
are all reasonably local, the 2nd delivery however was delivered before
I got a chance to do anything.

2/ It's also unreasonable to expect me to drop everything, and travel
70 miles to get the damn package. Having a full-time job prohibits
this. The package will have already started it;s journey home by
Saturday (my 1st available day, if I wanted to collect it). The depot
opening hours prohibit collecting out of office hours.

3/ Not being able the request a redirect to an address where somebody
will be available, is pretty otrragous, My other option, someone who
passes the courier depot on the way to work each day, is also doomed to
failure, as only I can collect it, I cannot nominate someone else. I
even offered to Citylink that I would give my nominee my photo driving
license overnight, to prove they are acting for me. (not as me...)

4/ Charging ME to send the item back, because of the above
restrictions. or perhaps, that what they want to happen....

Does everyone think these restrictions are NORMAL and REASONABLE?

Old May 6th 04, 09:41 PM
Black Shuck

Peter Parry wrote:

On Thu, 06 May 2004 01:07:14 +0100, Black Shuck
wrote:

It's a real royal pain in the butt. The only reason I had the item send
to my home address (knowing nobody would be there to sign for it), was
the stupid system the stipulates you must deliver to the cardholders
address,

Lets see if I've got this right.

You ordered goods, to be sent to your home address knowing full well
there would be no one in to receive them.

The vendor sent the goods with a carrier who was unable to deliver
them to the address you requested they be sent to because, not
surprisingly, no one was in when they called.

They left a card with a contact number for you to get in touch to
arrange re-delivery. You presumably didn't call them so they
attempted to do as it said on the card and deliver the next day.

I did try, but I got home from work after their office closed, I phoned
crack of dawn the following morning (well 8:00), but the van had alreayd
left. I kind assumed that a redirection to a work address would not be
a problem (after the 1st intentional non-delivery), as having ordered
from many vendors (including some people on this discussion), and
experienced all the courirers, redirecting parcels has never been a
probelm. It is however for CityLink.

You knew there would be no one there to receive the goods the next
day either.

You now blame the courier company for failing to get an answer at an
empty house?

Is this legal?

What else would you presume it to be?

I may name and shame,

It would certainly be interesting to know your name but I'm not sure
what it would achieve.

I'm pretty sure, that
even if it's legal, it's certainly not a good way to do business.

Delivering the goods to the requested address on the day promised is
not a good way to do business?

No, between the Vendor, Courier and Creditcard companies, they have
created a situation, where people ordering have no choice but to send
parcels to addresses where they know nobody will be home. However, most
couriers have the felxibility to redeliver to an alternative address
after the 1st failure, apart from CityLink it seems.

I'm not a Joker/****ing Idiot/****wit and some of the other names I have
been called in this thread, just someone who wants to buy mailorder to
save a few ££, but is stuck in the Creditcard/Delivery Address "chicken
and egg syndrome"... Not one of the posts with namecalling suggested an
alternative method of getting these type of problems sorted. The only
sensible option I have already tried (the 2nd card address, and that
failed (ordered a Dell laptop, with my work address as a delivery, after
registering it with Goldfish, guess what, it got rejected).

Old May 6th 04, 10:05 PM
Fishter

Hi Black Shuck
In you wrote:
The only
sensible option I have already tried (the 2nd card address, and that
failed (ordered a Dell laptop, with my work address as a delivery, after
registering it with Goldfish, guess what, it got rejected).

That is odd. As I said earlier I registered a second address on my Amex
card and Dell had no problem at all with delivery. In fact it was a day
earlier than they said it would arrive.

--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk/
Old May 6th 04, 10:29 PM
Black Shuck

Fishter wrote:
Hi Black Shuck
In you wrote:

The only
sensible option I have already tried (the 2nd card address, and that
failed (ordered a Dell laptop, with my work address as a delivery, after
registering it with Goldfish, guess what, it got rejected).

That is odd. As I said earlier I registered a second address on my Amex
card and Dell had no problem at all with delivery. In fact it was a day
earlier than they said it would arrive.

Must be a Goldfish thing then, they promised me over the phone they had
registered it, and sounded like they know what I was jibbering on
about... This was abotu 18 months ago however...
Old May 6th 04, 10:33 PM
Black Shuck

Black Shuck wrote:

Fishter wrote:

Hi Black Shuck
In you wrote:

The only sensible option I have already tried (the 2nd card address,
and that failed (ordered a Dell laptop, with my work address as a
delivery, after registering it with Goldfish, guess what, it got
rejected).

That is odd. As I said earlier I registered a second address on my Amex
card and Dell had no problem at all with delivery. In fact it was a day
earlier than they said it would arrive.

Must be a Goldfish thing then, they promised me over the phone they had
registered it, and sounded like they know what I was jibbering on
about... This was abotu 18 months ago however...

And whilst I am at it, I may as well name the vendor (as I get slated it
seems wether I do or don't). if anyone does care, it's UKDVDr
(www.ukdvdr.co.uk). I ordered £40 worth of blank disks. I would pay the
£4 re-delivery charge, but they flatly refuse to deliver anywhere else
but what's written on the consignment. So you can see why I am unhappy
about paying £19 to get them returned to sender... The irony is, that
the company I work for gets 2 Citylink deliveries every day, so there is
actually zero cost to Citylink.
Old May 6th 04, 11:03 PM
Ian Henden

"Andy Tillbrook" wrote in message
says...

ISTM that the supplier has not performed under the meaning of the DSR -

i.e.
the goods have not been delivered. I am astounded that Citylink will
neither attempt redelivery, nor redirect, and the distance from you to

the
depot is hardly a short trip, as you state.

They have redelivered to the address supplied.

I would put pressure on the supplier to force CityLink to fulfil their
obligations. You could also try calling their head office: see
http://www.city-link.co.uk for details, and asking for the MD. Be
insistent, and you'll get his PA I should think.

They have fulfilled their obligations.

If you're unsuccessful and the consignment is returned to the vendor, I
should think that they would be obliged to either deliver or refund in

full
to you.

Perhaps you'd like to think again.

They have not performed the contract until you receive the goods,
and you are acting reasonably in an attempt to get the goods delivered.

Giving a delivery address in the full knowledge that there will be no-
one there to receive it is not acting reasonably IMO. Whinging about
the problems caused by that unreasonable behaviour is even less so.

CityLink, who are acting for the vendor, are not acting reasonably - and
that is still a key concept in UK law.

They are acting perfectly reasonably IMO. If you disagree please say
why.

Some posters have stated that *first* order from a vendor *must* go to CC
address (understandable for fraud protection).

Now that the purchaser has *proved* his address (by responding to the
carriers card, and correspondence with carrier and vendor) it seems to me
that there is now no reason for the vendor to not redirect the goods (a fax
to the carrier should be sufficient) to the purchaser's place of work.

Or is that too easy?

Old May 6th 04, 11:37 PM
IANAL

On Thu, 06 May 2004 22:33:38 +0100, Black Shuck
wrote:

And whilst I am at it, I may as well name the vendor (as I get slated it
seems wether I do or don't). if anyone does care, it's UKDVDr
(www.ukdvdr.co.uk). I ordered £40 worth of blank disks. I would pay the
£4 re-delivery charge, but they flatly refuse to deliver anywhere else
but what's written on the consignment. So you can see why I am unhappy
about paying £19 to get them returned to sender... The irony is, that
the company I work for gets 2 Citylink deliveries every day, so there is
actually zero cost to Citylink.

I didn't realise it was such a small order. You should have asked them
to open the package and post the discs through the letter box. For
that kind of thing I would have thought a *shop* would be easier.
(They usually have quite good deals on that kind of thing at Dixons.)
Old May 6th 04, 11:42 PM
Peter Parry

On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:41:24 +0100, Black Shuck
wrote:

Peter Parry wrote:

I did try, but I got home from work after their office closed, I phoned
crack of dawn the following morning (well 8:00),

Citylink open at 07:00, each branch has an individual e-mail address.

I kind assumed that a redirection to a work address would not be
a problem

So when you complain about non delivery and the couriers say "but
someone phoned and asked for it to be redirected to 32 Acacia Avenue"
you will say "Ah, that's OK then. Even though I haven't received it
and don't know anything about 32 Acacia Avenue I will still pay for
it."

The most common scam is to redirect deliveries, this is done either
by third parties or the recipient "redirecting" to a friend both of
whom then claim never to have received the parcel.

It is however for CityLink.

It isn't a problem - it is their stated policy to reduce fraud. Most
people consider it to be an asset - not a problem.

Delivering the goods to the requested address on the day promised is
not a good way to do business?

No, between the Vendor, Courier and Creditcard companies, they have
created a situation, where people ordering have no choice but to send
parcels to addresses where they know nobody will be home.

Most people are not so monumentally dim witted as to deliberately
order goods knowing beforehand it is impossible for them to be
delivered. Fraudsters have created a situation where delivering only
to a verified address is vital. You ordered goods to be sent to an
address where you knew full well they could not be delivered. Quite
what do you expect after that?

However, most
couriers have the felxibility to redeliver to an alternative address
after the 1st failure, apart from CityLink it seems.

Please list them so I can make sure I never use them.

I'm not a Joker/****ing Idiot/****wit

so you say.

--
Peter Parry.