Question about OS support with Radeon 9800 or X800 Pro

Old May 23rd 04, 06:23 PM
Kevin Middleton

Default Question about OS support with Radeon 9800 or X800 Pro

Greetings...
Can anyone tell me if they are successfully running either Radeon 9800 Pro or
X800 Pro under Windows 98SE ? If so, what drivers are you using?

I am considering a system upgrade; 8-)
I am currently running a Radeon 9000 under Windows 98SE,
and want to upgrade system to AMD XP3200+ and either a Radeon 9800 Pro or X800,
and dual boot Win98SE / WinXP.

I am currently running the dual boot configuration on another machine, and I have found
this configuration to be quite flexible for running older games under Win98SE.

In browsing around the ATI site, they show both Radeon 9800 and X800 as supporting
Windows XP, but do not list Windows98SE as being supported. Just curious if anyone
has some experience or knowledge with this.

Thanks

Old May 23rd 04, 08:15 PM
NightSky 421

"Kevin Middleton" wrote in message

In browsing around the ATI site, they show both Radeon 9800 and X800 as

supporting
Windows XP, but do not list Windows98SE as being supported. Just

curious if anyone
has some experience or knowledge with this.

Thanks

Although it's not important to me at this point, it would be interesting
to know. The last Catalyst driver set for Windows 98/ME is 4.3, which we
know does not support the X800 cards. However, they do support the 9800
cards. I wonder if ATI supplied a basic Windows 98/ME driver to be
shipped with the X800 cards? Anyway, I think it's safe to say that things
don't bode well for 98/ME users.

Old May 23rd 04, 10:04 PM

On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:23:49 GMT, "Kevin Middleton"
wrote:

Greetings...
Can anyone tell me if they are successfully running either Radeon 9800 Pro or
X800 Pro under Windows 98SE ? If so, what drivers are you using?

I am considering a system upgrade; 8-)
I am currently running a Radeon 9000 under Windows 98SE,
and want to upgrade system to AMD XP3200+ and either a Radeon 9800 Pro or X800,
and dual boot Win98SE / WinXP.

I am currently running the dual boot configuration on another machine, and I have found
this configuration to be quite flexible for running older games under Win98SE.

Why ?, WinXP will use compatibility mode to emulate :
- Win95/98/ME/NT4 Service Pack 5/ and Win2000.

BoroLad

Old May 24th 04, 02:30 AM
Destroy

Kevin Middleton wrote:
Greetings...
Can anyone tell me if they are successfully running either Radeon 9800 Pro or
X800 Pro under Windows 98SE ? If so, what drivers are you using?

Yup, running 9800Pro in win98se just fine here. Cat 4.3 btw.

Now what I want to know is if the new X800 will work with win9x.

Can anyone with a X800 please look and verify on the CD and see if there
are win9x drivers on it? thx

Old May 24th 04, 03:49 AM
Slug

On Sun, 23 May 2004 13:15:32 -0600, "NightSky 421"
wrote:

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that things
don't bode well for 98/ME users.

Yep. even the Win98 drivers for the 9800pro are a bit dodgy compared
to the XP drivers. With new vid cards (and some soundcards - Audigy) I
would not even run them on Win9x - XP is the way to go.
Old May 24th 04, 03:51 AM
Slug

On Mon, 24 May 2004 01:30:53 GMT, Destroy wrote:

Yup, running 9800Pro in win98se just fine here.

So you think. I know of a couple of games that have issues with the
Win9x drivers but run fine using the exact same version of drivers on
XP. I posted here about it about a month ago but no one wanted to hear
about it.