Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro problems.

Old January 24th 04, 12:28 AM
Kris von Mach

Default Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro problems.

Hello,

I have Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and I have ran
into instability problems.

My config is Windows XP with all the patches and latest ATI Radeon
drivers Catalyst 3.10. Running Directx games freezes the machine.

When I tried using nVidia GeForce 5950 graphics card with the latest
drivers I don't experience these problems. The system is rock solid.

BUT I have also tried using the same ATI Radeon 9800 Pro card in
different motherboards like Asus SK8V and A7N8X and it works without
any problems.

The company I bought my computer from Xi Computers mentioned that it's
a known problem with the Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 motherboard or the AMD
AGP controller on the motherboard and ATI Radeon cards. That's why
they gave me a nVidia card instead of the ATI card with my k8w system.

So I was wondering who's problem is this? Tyan, ATI, or AMD? Does
anyone know of a fix for this? Is this a known problem?

I don't mind using the nVidia card, it's not half bad :P But the image
quality in games is much better with the ATI card, and I already miss
it. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

p.s. please don't respond to the email address as it's not real.
Please respond to the newsgroup.