P2B-B 120GB HD problem

Old January 17th 05, 01:31 AM
kazikmazik

Default P2B-B 120GB HD problem

I am trying to get my P2B-B to run with this WD 120GB hard drive. I flashed
to 1014b.003 and the BIOS recognizes the drive and lets it POST. At first I
tried to ghost my previous 30 GB drive. When it would boot, W2K would
install the drive and upon restart give me a blue screen saying the drive
was inaccessible. I put back the 30 GB drive and set the 120GB drive as
slave (after a low level format). Now W2K boots but when I try to get the
drive letter in Disk Management, I get this message: The operation did not
complete because the partition/volume is not enabled. Please reboot the
computer to enable the partition/volume. Rebooting does not help. I put the
drive on my A7V and it has no such problem. It gives it a drive letter,
enables the partition, and formats the drive. If I then put the drive back
on the P2B-B, there is no drive letter and I get the same message. In device
manager there is a flagged unknown device. Is this a BIOS issue because the
1014b.003 is a beta version? Will an ata accellerator card help? Would WinXP
work better?

Old January 17th 05, 03:07 AM
kazikmazik

"kazikmazik" wrote in message
[...]

Just an update. If I uninstall the flagged unknown device and reboot, then
the drive has a letter and all "seems" fine. If I reboot again, the flagged
unknown device reappears in the device manager and the drive letter is gone!
This must be a W2K quirk, but a google search did not help. Any ideas?

Old January 17th 05, 02:39 PM
kazikmazik

[...]

Final update. I went back to the device manager and specified C:\winnt\inf
in reinstall driver for the flagged unknown device. Windows found volume.inf
and now it stays unflagged and the drive letter doesn't disappear. I now see
that it was a W2K problem. Maybe sysprep would have worked instead of just
relying on Ghost. A clean install also would have worked. WinXP may have
worked better as well.

help with possible video card problem diagnostic mark497 Homebuilt PC's 1 September 16th 04 09:59 AM
Boot Problem with Win2000 AMD 2500 XP - A-Bit KD7A system TMgo Homebuilt PC's 2 August 17th 04 10:03 AM
Restart problem DJS0302 Homebuilt PC's 0 June 20th 04 07:37 AM
Hard disc problem? Maxtor SATA drive... [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 1 February 29th 04 07:51 PM
Sound Card Problem cracking noise, SB Live 5.1 Majestic Homebuilt PC's 1 December 24th 03 08:12 AM