Booting from CD-ROM on Compaq systems

Old July 30th 04, 10:59 AM
Howard Kaikow

Default Booting from CD-ROM on Compaq systems

I've got an old Compaq Deskpro 66M that I received in January 1993.

It does not seem to allow for booting from CD-ROM.

OK, that's fine.

When did Compaq first release systems that could boot from CD-ROM?

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

Old July 30th 04, 11:31 AM
HH

Around 1996-97 for Presarios, if memory serves. Not sure about the
commercial units but probably about the same time frame.
FYI, the DeskPro Ms and later XLs are without doubt the most rugged,
over-engineered Compaq desktops ever made. The Pentium models of both series
are still being used as file and print servers in many parts of the world
fully 10 years after they were built.
HH

Old July 30th 04, 11:39 AM
Howard Kaikow

"HH" wrote in message
Around 1996-97 for Presarios, if memory serves. Not sure about the
commercial units but probably about the same time frame.

I've heard that it was earlier and that Compaq may have used a pre-"El
Torito" mechanism.
I'd like to pin this down.

FYI, the DeskPro Ms and later XLs are without doubt the most rugged,
over-engineered Compaq desktops ever made. The Pentium models of both

series
are still being used as file and print servers in many parts of the world
fully 10 years after they were built.

I have the Deskpro powered down 99+% of the time. I only use it if I have to
do something with Word macros in Word 6 or Word 7.

Old July 30th 04, 03:23 PM
HH

Doubt it. I had a DeskPro XL 466, later transformed into a 5133 via a
Pentium processor board. It would not boot from CD, only HD, network or
floppy.

Old August 3rd 04, 03:20 PM
DEJ57

My early 1996 Presario 7240 and 4112, 120/133mhz (no direct connection to
booting, just for reference), would not boot from CD.....

Dale
Old August 3rd 04, 06:16 PM
Howard Kaikow

I posted the following in the HP forums:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...hreadId=652618

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 24th 04 02:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 17th 04 08:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
FS: Qty. 11 Compaq Proliant Systems $1,500 - 3000, 4500, 5500's 444UNIX Compaq Computers 0 November 3rd 03 03:29 PM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM