Win XP not detecting USB ports.

Old June 24th 04, 08:52 AM
Quavel

Default Win XP not detecting USB ports.

I have a Presario 5600s
I had Win 98 installed and the USB ports worked fine under that OS.
I wiped and installed XP home and now the USB ports will not work.
Any idea how to fix this or work around it?
The weird thing is that the Root hub shows in Device manager but
nothing else. I have uninstalled everything and let XP redetect it and
also have updated the drivers from VIA Compaq/HP and even some third
party driver sites. Help please.

Old June 24th 04, 04:32 PM
Quavel

OOPS sorry (tired last night when I posted) the "VIA Rev 2 USB
Universial Host controler" does show. This morning I have tried to
update the drivers and also force a Rev 4 host drivers and still not
detecting any thing that is pluged into the ports. The weiredest thing
is that I get power off the USB Ports my portable HDD lights up for
power.

Old June 24th 04, 05:00 PM
HH

Dunno.Maybe this is one of those rare instances where an OS upgrade, rather
than a clean install, is called for. I believe Tom Scales, a regular poster
on this NG, has a 5600 series PC, anfd I'm almost certain he installed XP on
it. Maybe he will see the thread and offer a tip.
HH

Old June 25th 04, 01:24 AM
Tom Scales

Is the 5600i and the 5600s the same basic machine? I have a pair of 5600i
machines (one P3-450 and one P3-500) and they both had clean XP Pro
installs. USB works just fine.

Tom

Old June 25th 04, 02:19 AM
Tom Scales

Yeah, the Via threw me. None of my Compaqs had the Via chipset. I seem to
recall they were very flaky

Tom
.. .

Old June 25th 04, 07:21 PM
HH

Tom, They could be. The strange thing is the VIA chipset Celeron and PIII
5700s were reasonably stable. I used a 5716 PIII/450 as a production unit
for more than a year with zero issues, first with Win 98SE and later with
W2K.
HH

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Yeah, the Via threw me. None of my Compaqs had the Via chipset. I seem to
recall they were very flaky

Tom
.. .

Old June 25th 04, 10:04 PM
Quaoar

Quavel wrote:
I have a Presario 5600s
I had Win 98 installed and the USB ports worked fine under that OS.
I wiped and installed XP home and now the USB ports will not work.
Any idea how to fix this or work around it?
The weird thing is that the Root hub shows in Device manager but
nothing else. I have uninstalled everything and let XP redetect it and
also have updated the drivers from VIA Compaq/HP and even some third
party driver sites. Help please.

A couple of things to try: In BIOS setup, if there is a setting for
Legacy USB, try enabling that. Make sure that Plug and Play Operating
System is enabled, if that is in there. Also, have you installed XP SP1
and the USB update? Neither should be required for low speed USB, but
one never knows just what is in these updates.

As a last resort, remove *everything* USB from Device Manager, reboot,
and see if now that you have the VIA drivers, that everything gets
properly enumerated and installed.

Old June 26th 04, 09:15 PM
Quavel

Thank you all for your input on this system. I final got so fed up
with it and put a USB PCI card in it and disabled the onboard USB and
sent it back to the customer. He was happy since he got a faster USB
card than was orignaly installed. Again I realy apritiate the input.
Please let me know if I can help in the future.