Aquarius II Water cooling

Old August 28th 03, 12:51 PM
Nick Young

Default Aquarius II Water cooling

Hi all,

My current setup pumps out a serious amount of noise. I have a zalman
flower cooler on the CPU which is dead quiet but have to have two fans for
the intake and exhause to keey the case temp down. The CPU idles at about
45 and the case temp at 30 degrees C. I often have heavy computations to
run on the system, which increases the CPU into the 50's and the case temp
into the 40's. Hence the need for the powerful fans.

What I want to do is to do away with the fans to make a silent system.

My question is, if I get a water cooling system, the Aquarius II, can I fit
a Hard Drive water cooling block to it and will this mean then that the only
fan I need in the system is the radiator fan?

Cheers,
Nick

Old August 28th 03, 09:24 PM
Nick M V Salmon

"Nick Young" wrote

My current setup pumps out a serious amount of noise. I have a zalman
flower cooler on the CPU which is dead quiet but have to have two fans for
the intake and exhause to keey the case temp down. The CPU idles at about
45 and the case temp at 30 degrees C. I often have heavy computations to
run on the system, which increases the CPU into the 50's and the case temp
into the 40's. Hence the need for the powerful fans.

What I want to do is to do away with the fans to make a silent system.

My question is, if I get a water cooling system, the Aquarius II, can I

fit
a Hard Drive water cooling block to it and will this mean then that the

only
fan I need in the system is the radiator fan?

Unfortunately I've found that you still need case fans when watercooling or
a whole bunch of other components on the motherboard run ridiculously hot.
Plus the PSU needs at least some airflow through it. I do drop all the fans
to 7 Volts but my systems aren't silent...

Ciao...

[UK]_Nick...

Old August 28th 03, 11:18 PM
Tony Scott

"David Walker" wrote in message
That should remove most

of the heat, with only really the PSU and the northbridge of the

motherboard
still pumping out heat -

David,
A word of caution. On my IT7 Max2 v2, the Northbridge temperature soared
upwards when I introduced water cooling to the CPU. The reason: as it is
located not far from the CPU, it relies on some of the airflow from the CPU
fan cooler to take away stale air from its small heatsink. I found it
necessary to direct airflow from a fan onto the Northbridge to bring the
temperature back down again.
My advice: measure Northbridge temperature pre-and post watercooling and if
necessary take additional cooling measures. What about a Northbridge cooling
block?
Tony

Old August 29th 03, 01:28 PM
David Walker

"Tony Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, could do that too. I'll see how hot it gets and if its much worse
i'll add a block for northbridge too. Mine (an A7N8X-Deluxe) does have
quite a big heatsink on there, so i might play around with fans too -
something for me to watch and be careful about anyway.
Thanks

David

Old August 29th 03, 01:33 PM
David Walker

I always watercool Northbridges for overclocking stability but haven't
bothered with any graphics card since a Voodoo5 5500 that wouldn't run
properley when watercooled. HDDs I've only found to get too hot when

they
have little or no air passing over them - even a 60mm fan on 7V seems
sufficient to cool 4+ HDDs adequately as long as the air is ducted over
them, so I haven't bothered with watercooling them either.

I wasn't planning on overclocking heavily really, the watercooling is more
to reduce the noise. Then again, if I can get a lot more out of it by
watercooling the northbridge, then I might as well do that too.
My hard drives do tend to run quite hot, and often have quite intensive
access on them for long periods of time, so I prefer to keep them cooled -
apart from anything else it should reduce the risk of failure and data loss,
and will take quite a bit of heat out of the case. At the minute I have two
80mm fans blowing over the three hard disks, usually running at ~8v, but I
switch them to full speed if i'm doing any big file transfers or anything
with intensive disk activity.
My graphics card (an ATI 8500DV) really does need cooling though - at the
minute its got a buzzy little fan on, so I want to remove that and watercool
that too. Again noise is my major concern.
Thanks for the advice anyway - seems like a watercooled northbridge is the
way to go.

David

Old August 30th 03, 07:27 AM
Pham

This thing gets No respect- no one will take it seriously due to its
small caliber tubing (5/16" ID).
I must tell you that I adore this thing- I keep a twin pair in case I
decide to run parallel circuits with a waterblock on my VGA chip.
But at present I have one block on my P4-2.6C and the radiator is
submerged in a bucket of cold water. The bucket is styrofoam in the
summer and copper in the winter. I run my 2.6 at 3.2 GHz and it stays
quite chilly (80F at idle, and 100F at 100% load with multiThreading.)

It's silent, of course, but also cheap , small, and elegant. I love it.
--
Valid spambot resistant address: deanATyniDOTnet

Water Cooling. Morgan Sales General 2 October 23rd 04 10:22 PM
Water cooling - noise level? Gareth Tuckwell General 2 October 12th 04 02:17 AM
Water cooling? Which one? SysCold General 5 August 11th 04 02:26 AM
water cooling on athlon XP macdaddy Overclocking AMD Processors 1 September 10th 03 05:43 AM
Need help with water cooling Mr. Teatime Overclocking 5 July 18th 03 03:41 AM