Authentic AMD and Operating Temps

Old September 6th 03, 09:24 PM
Daibidh

Default Authentic AMD and Operating Temps

I purchased an Athlon 2100+ but it even AMD's own CPU utilities report, "
Unknown CPU Type." This is an issue with the processor or my computer's
BIOS?

Sandra 2003 reports board temps of 55 degrees C and Power/Aux temps of 73
degrees C. AMD.com reports the maximum on-die temp of 90 degrees C. And
many in here report operating temps below 35 degrees C. I am having
difficulty making sense of all this. Am I running too hot?

Thanks,

Dave

Old September 7th 03, 04:21 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:24:32 +0000, Daibidh wrote:

I purchased an Athlon 2100+ but it even AMD's own CPU utilities report, "
Unknown CPU Type." This is an issue with the processor or my computer's
BIOS?

Unknown CPU is not uncommon. Yes. it's a bios issue (actaully a
non-issue).

Sandra 2003 reports board temps of 55 degrees C and Power/Aux temps of 73
degrees C. AMD.com reports the maximum on-die temp of 90 degrees C. And
many in here report operating temps below 35 degrees C. I am having
difficulty making sense of all this. Am I running too hot?

Way too hot. Check your cpu cooler installation.

Old September 7th 03, 11:40 AM
J.Clarke

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 03:21:05 GMT
"Wes Newell" wrote:

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:24:32 +0000, Daibidh wrote:

I purchased an Athlon 2100+ but it even AMD's own CPU utilities
report, " Unknown CPU Type." This is an issue with the processor or
my computer's BIOS?

Unknown CPU is not uncommon. Yes. it's a bios issue (actaully a
non-issue).

Sandra 2003 reports board temps of 55 degrees C and Power/Aux temps
of 73 degrees C. AMD.com reports the maximum on-die temp of 90
degrees C. And many in here report operating temps below 35 degrees
C. I am having difficulty making sense of all this. Am I running
too hot?

Way too hot. Check your cpu cooler installation.

If the board temperature is 55C I'd look at the case cooling first.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old September 8th 03, 04:44 AM
Buffalo

"Daibidh"
I purchased an Athlon 2100+ but it even AMD's own CPU utilities report, "
Unknown CPU Type." This is an issue with the processor or my computer's
BIOS?

Sandra 2003 reports board temps of 55 degrees C and Power/Aux temps of 73
degrees C. AMD.com reports the maximum on-die temp of 90 degrees C. And
many in here report operating temps below 35 degrees C. I am having
difficulty making sense of all this. Am I running too hot?

Thanks,

Dave

I also use an XP2100+ Palomino. I removed the thermal tape on the retail
heatsink and applied a light layer of heatsink paste.
What is the temp of the room you have this pc in?
My board temps are in the 30's after awhile, but my PC would get up to about
63C while online gaming.
I bought an Aeroflow heatsink/fan and I now sometimes get into the low 50's
while doing intensive running, but otherwise stay in the low 40's during
normal use.
Take the sides off your PC and then see what the temps are.
Download MotherBoardMonitor and see what it shows for temps.
It sure sounds like a very hot room or very poor case ventilation.
What are the temps reported in the BIOS?

Old September 8th 03, 04:50 AM
Buffalo

"Buffalo
My board temps are in the 30's after awhile, but my PC would get up to

about

I meant my cpu temps, not my PC temps.

Old September 9th 03, 04:08 AM
mdp

Check the temps in your BIOS to get a baseline. Your apps may be reporting the wrong temps.

--
Please de-spam my address if replying to me