Video Card Upgrade Question

Old February 26th 04, 01:27 AM
Jack Bruss

Default Video Card Upgrade Question

I upgraded my system recently to an Athlon XP 2500 on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe
mb with 512 mb PC2700 Ram, but I'm still using my 2 yr old Leadtek GForce2
64 mb graphics card. I'm thinking I should upgrade my graphics to
something that will match up well to the rest of my system, and I'd
appreciate some suggestions.

I don't do many games, and the ones I do play are strategy or RPG.
Morrowwind is probably most demanding game I have right now, and it runs
ok, but a bit slow. I guess I'd hope to pay something like $50 - $100 for
card that would be a noticeable improvement over the one I've got. Does
that make sense?

Thanks,

Jack

Old February 26th 04, 01:51 AM
Dave C.

"Jack Bruss" wrote in message
I upgraded my system recently to an Athlon XP 2500 on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe
mb with 512 mb PC2700 Ram, but I'm still using my 2 yr old Leadtek GForce2
64 mb graphics card. I'm thinking I should upgrade my graphics to
something that will match up well to the rest of my system, and I'd
appreciate some suggestions.

I don't do many games, and the ones I do play are strategy or RPG.
Morrowwind is probably most demanding game I have right now, and it runs
ok, but a bit slow. I guess I'd hope to pay something like $50 - $100

for
card that would be a noticeable improvement over the one I've got. Does
that make sense?

Thanks,

Jack

You're like me. Don't game much, but when you do, strategy or RPG. I'm
happy with a GF4 MX series. (I'm sure most gamers will get a laugh out of
that)

A good upgrade that would fit your budget well would be a 128MB FX5200 card.
(there are dozens and dozens of them, take your pick). Range about
$60-$80. This is a current low-end card, but quite an improvement over a
GF2. Will also handle your games and match the rest of your hardware quite
well. -Dave

Old February 26th 04, 05:52 PM
jeffc

"Jack Bruss" wrote in message
I upgraded my system recently to an Athlon XP 2500 on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe
mb with 512 mb PC2700 Ram, but I'm still using my 2 yr old Leadtek GForce2
64 mb graphics card. I'm thinking I should upgrade my graphics to
something that will match up well to the rest of my system, and I'd
appreciate some suggestions.

I don't do many games, and the ones I do play are strategy or RPG.
Morrowwind is probably most demanding game I have right now, and it runs
ok, but a bit slow. I guess I'd hope to pay something like $50 - $100

for
card that would be a noticeable improvement over the one I've got. Does
that make sense?

Used GeForce4 Ti 4200 off eBay. Actually, I've got an excellent one right
now I'm going to put up for sale (I have 2 - I for my system, and 1 I bought
for my dad's new computer. I take it over there and he doesn't have an AGP
slot on his new computer!) Anyway, whoever you buy one from, I can highly
recommend that as your best choice. You might be able to find one new under
$100, but usually they are over $100 and getting harder to find.

Old February 27th 04, 04:26 PM
Frank Hagan

"jeffc" wrote in message

"Jack Bruss" wrote in message
[...]

I'll second the Ti4200! Got two off eBay for $74/$81 plus shipping. One
Gainward Golden Sample and one ASUS V9280. Both with fast DDR RAM and better
specs than "average" Ti4200. Excellent choice!

FRH

Tyan K8S Pro S2882: installing a PCI video card Andy Kuo AMD x86-64 Processors 3 November 6th 04 01:02 AM
Video Card Question Matt Overclocking AMD Processors 2 December 6th 03 07:53 PM
Video Card Help SteveC General 1 October 20th 03 07:08 AM
Video Card Overheating? R. Wink Homebuilt PC's 0 July 29th 03 12:49 PM
Video card advice grendel General 10 June 30th 03 02:07 PM