what is halting my POST?

Old April 26th 09, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
timOleary

Default what is halting my POST?

My P5WD2E-Premium stops during POST about 15% of the time.
I turn off the PC and turn it on again, and then it completes the POST
and Windows XPpro starts and everything appears to be fine
Where do I start to determine why?
Old April 26th 09, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

timOleary wrote:
My P5WD2E-Premium stops during POST about 15% of the time.
I turn off the PC and turn it on again, and then it completes the POST
and Windows XPpro starts and everything appears to be fine
Where do I start to determine why?

PCI Port 80 POST card ?

http://www.amazon.com/Elston-Systems...69753&sr =8-3

What a card like that does, is display two digit
hex "progress" codes. The BIOS is supposed to have
codes in it, and before a subroutine executes, the
number corresponding to the routine, is written
to PCI slot #1 at port 80.

The problem, is with the documentation. It is
virtually impossible to get a proper table of
codes, that are correct for a particular motherboard.
Many times, I've looked up a code for someone, only
to find it listed as "reserved".

So while it is fun to own one of those,
they don't usually lead the owner to a
successful conclusion regarding the
root cause.

Have a look at what peripherals you have
plugged in. Say, disconnect your USB
card reader. Or play with the USB legacy
setting in the BIOS. Try disabling unused
interfaces in the BIOS. There are a few
things you can fiddle with.

Paul
Old April 27th 09, 07:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jim E[_2_]

"timOleary" wrote in message
My P5WD2E-Premium stops during POST about 15% of the time.
I turn off the PC and turn it on again, and then it completes the POST
and Windows XPpro starts and everything appears to be fine
Where do I start to determine why?

try a new cmos battery

Old April 27th 09, 08:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Simon Yee[_2_]

Hi,

Perhaps your Bios is Corrupted.

Old April 28th 09, 02:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

You start with a memory diagnostic. Also, removing everything from the
system that is non-essential.

Old April 30th 09, 10:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Core2Duo

I agree with Barry.
Remove everything that is non-essential, including running with only 1 stick
of RAM.
Then gradually re-add items unitl the problem re-appears.

news