More Questions

Old July 3rd 03, 12:12 AM
J.Clarke

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:47:51 +0800
"Nocturnal" nocturnally SpAm sPaM @iprimus.com.au wrote:

what is the issue with HDD noise??? My fans drown out any other
noise.

Is there any descent HDD coolers around???

What is the life expectancy of a HDD???
I have 3 currently running :
Quantam KX20.5 about 4.5 yrs old
Maxtor 40 gig about 2 years old
WD 80 gig about a week old.

That was just a general question.

I have 40 meg drives that still work fine. In general they'll be
running long after they have ceased to be useful.

There are a variety of devices that will cool a hard disk--generally
speaking though as long as they've got reasonable airflow they're fine.
As for the noise issue, some people attempt to build very quiet
machines--in such machines the disk noise can become significant.

thanks in advance.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old July 3rd 03, 02:16 AM
Rod Speed

wrote in message ...

what is the issue with HDD noise???

Many dont like it.

My fans drown out any other noise.

Mine dont.

And some hard drive noise can be particularly
irritating, particularly bearing whine too.

Is there any descent HDD coolers around???

Whats wrong with a bit of indecency ?

What is the life expectancy of a HDD???

Most discard the drive because its too limited before it dies.

I have 3 currently running :
Quantam KX20.5 about 4.5 yrs old
Maxtor 40 gig about 2 years old
WD 80 gig about a week old.

That was just a general question.

They'll all very likely keep runnning until you
decide they are too small/slow to bother with.

thanks in advance.

Sorrite.