Deskop Replacement

Old June 23rd 03, 07:18 PM
Denman

Default Deskop Replacement

Jack

Just some thoughts...

You'll want to make sure you have USB 2 ports on your laptop. If your
going to switch to broadband, I would consider going wireless and
adding the integrated wireless feature to your configuration. There's
nothing like sitting on your sofa or porch surfing or doing a little
work.

I have the Sony external DVD burner and it rocks. The software it
comes with isn't the greatest, but the burns are.

There is an advantage to having 2 modular bays. I'm not sure if the
new Gateway(M500) has that or not. I can have 2 batteries and a drive
at the same time in my 600x. You can also get an extra modular
harddrive.

I don't believe there is much that can be upgraded after the initial
config, so get everything you want the first time.

HTH,

Jack wrote in message ...
Thanks Carl for the reply.

My main application will be digital photo processing, either at home or
at our summer place. So unit doesn't have to be light, just portable.

Next step would be to purchase external DVD burner and additional hard
drive to attach via firewire.

How upgradable are laptops? Someone described them to me as "throw
aways".

My first PC was IBM 8088 @ 4.77, 2 floppies(5.25"), and 256K. With
extra cost for monitor(Amberchrome), DOS, and a 9 pin printer. The tab
came to $3300. We've come a log way baby!!!

Any comments on connectivity? Presently using dialup. Going to upgrade
to cable at home, and DSL at the summer place.