Mouse click no longer waking computer

Old September 15th 15, 03:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Default Mouse click no longer waking computer

Recent problem. The Window 7 computer no longer wakes by mouse click. I
have a Logitech g5 USB mouse. The power button does still wake the computer.
I checked, and the option to "wake by mouse" is still selected. I
haven't changed anything (myself)!

I assume this may be due to a recent windows update. Any thought on how
I could proceed with this?

Thanks!
Bill
Old September 15th 15, 04:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Bill wrote:
Recent problem. The Window 7 computer no longer wakes by mouse click. I
have a Logitech g5 USB mouse. The power button does still wake the
computer.
I checked, and the option to "wake by mouse" is still selected. I
haven't changed anything (myself)!

I assume this may be due to a recent windows update. Any thought on how
I could proceed with this?

Thanks!
Bill

In Device Manager, the "allow the device to wake the computer"
must still be ticked. For the mouse item in question.

What could be happening, is the port has lost power for
some reason. The computer +5VSB must remain on when the
computer sleeps. You can occasionally verify this with
some USB device that glows when powered.

It's possible that plugging in an iPad and charging it
on an adjacent port, caused the supply to shut down the
+5VSB. Or the polyfuse in the port stack opened, removing
power. These are all attempts by me to explain why
the power might go missing. I don't know if there
are any other (software) mechanisms to cause
complete shutdown, instead of leaving the
port powered or not.

On older computers, there was a 1x3 or 2x3 header
with jumper plugs. And you would set the header for
that port to "+5VSB" as a power source. Which means
one less variable to worry about. On those machines,
you could put only the wakeup devices onto +5VSB,
so it doesn't become overloaded.

A typical ATX power supply has +5VSB at 2 amps or 3 amps
max. Which isn't a lot of power, considering the things
people plug into their modern computers now. It takes
about +5VSB @ 1amp to save RAM contents when the
computer sleeps, and keep the LAN chip enabled for
Wake On LAN. Once you start charging mobile
devices, there isn't a lot of current flow
remaining.

The BIOS setting, mentioning something about
Wake on PME (Power Management Event) must be
left enabled, in order for USB waking to work.
I think lots of stuff traces back to PME as
a means of waking the computer up. So you might
want to check that hasn't changed state. That
setting is likely only present on home-built
computers (the ones with full BIOS setup screens
and multiple pages of settings). On a Dell,
that setting is likely left enabled all the
time.

Paul
Old September 15th 15, 06:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
Recent problem. The Window 7 computer no longer wakes by mouse click.
I have a Logitech g5 USB mouse. The power button does still wake the
computer.
I checked, and the option to "wake by mouse" is still selected. I
haven't changed anything (myself)!

I assume this may be due to a recent windows update. Any thought on
how I could proceed with this?

Thanks!
Bill

In Device Manager, the "allow the device to wake the computer"
must still be ticked. For the mouse item in question.

What could be happening, is the port has lost power for
some reason. The computer +5VSB must remain on when the
computer sleeps. You can occasionally verify this with
some USB device that glows when powered.

Paul, Thank you for sharing your substantial knowledge!
I did try a bunch of things, without much success.
I recall getting about 22 Windows Updates late last week.
And I just looked and there were 12 more "recommended updates" for me.
So I installed them, and lo and behold! -- the problem is gone.

Sounds like MS released a bad update? No, it couldn't be...

Thank you for your help!
Bill

Old September 15th 15, 08:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Bill wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

Ah, It's worse!

One of my updates (inadequately labeled!) was KB3035583.
It has been given the name "NAGWARE", and sits at the bottom
of your screen and bugs you about updating to Windows 10!
Write that number down and save yourself some time and aggravation!

Bill

Thank you for your help!
Bill

Old September 15th 15, 09:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
[...]

Yes, you have to be on your toes these days :-)

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-...fication-tray/

Create a new folder "Gwx"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\Gwx

Add "DisableGWX DWORD 1"

It's not clear though, if this blocks Microsoft's most
recent attempt to populate C:\$WINDOWS.~BT with 6GB of
files anyway. Apparently they're not taking No for an
answer. It's not clear if that comes directly through
Windows Update, without GWX approval, or not. In addition
to '583 update, one other update provides the analysis
needed to decide whether the computer can take Win10
or not (the six hardware requirements).

In any case, it's good that your bad update got fixed.

*******

For its comic effect, someone made a list of KBs
to watch for :-) Some will be for the CEIP program,
a form of telemetry (Customer Experience Improvement Program).
Now, I haven't checked all of these, but I do like
compact tables of numbers like that.

Telemetry/GWX ???

2902907 2902324 2952664 2976978
2976987 2977759 2990214 3021917