Neat heatshrink tubing soldering tip

Old September 19th 15, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Neat heatshrink tubing soldering tip

You've got super-fine needle nose pliers that will inversely open,
backwards quite wide, right?

Well, then...proceed to stick both plier extensions into some
heatshrink tubing, opening the pliers forcefully (just don't break
your precision tools) to stretch the tube as far as you reasonably see
fit. Or the tubing rips and breaks, whichever applies.

When you've applied your modified heatshrink, to hit it with that
pencil-fine butane tip, at 4500F, the heatrink will still shrink back
to its original specifications stated for shrinkage allowances.

Regardless prior "stretching" imposed upon it.

Should. Mine did with some larger-sized tubes I used on cables I
soldered up.

Or just go buy a ton more differently sized heatshrink assortments, to
fill you electronics toolchest to where it becomes simply to
cumbersome and small to fit all those other needful and not tools.
Old September 19th 15, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Flasherly wrote:
[...]

I find it easier to just stock a few different sizes,
so I have the right one for the job. I only stock up to
1/2", as I don't have a usage for anything bigger.

We have one electronics store in town, that the back wall of the
store has a huge assortment.

Paul
Old September 20th 15, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Flasherly" wrote in message
[...]

Been there, done that, when I had a joint I needed to cover that was a
little large for .25' tubing, but the .5" wouldn't shrink quite as much as I
wanted it to :-)
--
SC Tom

Old September 20th 15, 09:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 20:17:59 -0400, "SC Tom" wrote:

Been there, done that, when I had a joint I needed to cover that was a
little large for .25' tubing, but the .5" wouldn't shrink quite as much as I
wanted it to :-)

Knew better than not to think you might have, Tom - when a mother of a
job turns into an expedient for the shortest path of least resistance,
there's invariably someone before who's been there and done that.

Paul: I got all mine from China/Singapore-ported orders, three
heatshrink orders so far, (no necessarily convenient electronics parts
supply house), so it's a rarer imposition if I can't dress it out
properly, clean and pretty. One of these days I'll have try an order
for heatshrink tape, see how that works. I've old the old brittle
stuff, parallel ribbed and cut down the center, for spreading out to
wrap and encase a wiring bundle (sometimes see it or something similar
in an auto-wiring bundle). Tying that down with nylon cable ties is
plain nasty and not something I personally care to look at, short of
for a mixed covering of filthy road grime and oil.
Old September 20th 15, 12:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Flasherly" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 20:17:59 -0400, "SC Tom" wrote:

Been there, done that, when I had a joint I needed to cover that was a
little large for .25' tubing, but the .5" wouldn't shrink quite as much as
wanted it to :-)

Knew better than not to think you might have, Tom - when a mother of a
job turns into an expedient for the shortest path of least resistance,
there's invariably someone before who's been there and done that.

Some of us are a little more AR/OC than others, and have undoubtedly tried
many more things than those that aren't :-) I don't usually post something
like stretching the heat-shrink, thinking, "Sure, everyone has done that"
when in actuality, some people wouldn't even THINK of doing that :-) Good on
us, eh?
--
SC Tom

Old September 20th 15, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 07:43:47 -0400, "SC Tom" wrote:

Good on
us, eh?

I'll drink to that.
A toast!