DVD-RAM media for LG 4082B?

Old June 12th 04, 02:06 AM
Daniel Prince

Default DVD-RAM media for LG 4082B?

I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
drives. Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or are
there brands that I should avoid?

In your opinion, what is the best value in non-cartridge DVD-RAM media?
I will probably get 40 to 100 pieces of media depending on price and
packaging. Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an
Old June 12th 04, 08:22 AM
Impmon

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:06:04 GMT, Daniel Prince
wrote:

I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
drives. Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or are
there brands that I should avoid?

Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

OTOH DVD+RW or DVD-RW is mnore easily found, generally cheaper than
RAM, and usually can be read in any PC that has plain DVD-ROM

Just something for you to think about before investing in DVD-RAM.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
Old June 12th 04, 11:14 AM
Daniel Prince

wrote:

I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
drives. Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or are
there brands that I should avoid?

Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

I have read that it is quite a bit more reliable that -RW or +RW. Also
it can be used as a regular drive (drag and drop etc.) without packet
writing software.

Old June 12th 04, 10:52 PM
Mike Ching

wrote:

I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
drives. Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or
are there brands that I should avoid?

Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

I have read that it is quite a bit more reliable that -RW or +RW.
Also it can be used as a regular drive (drag and drop etc.) without
packet writing software.

Just my opinion, but I think the poor support for the format more than
erases any supposed reliability benefits, and the drag-and-drop capability
is trivial. You'd surely be using at least a simple backup program anyway.
(And for that matter, you can drag-and-drop to DVD-R or DVD+R anyway.)

In 10 years, you will have much more trouble reading a DVD-RAM disc than you
would a more standard format. That's an important consideration for
archival backups.

From what I've read even though the DVD-RAM format is more robust, the
increased reliability is primarily due to the use of a cartridge and the
guarantee for a bare disc is similar to +/-RW (1000 rewrites compared to
100,000 rewrites in a cartridge). Being able to read it in 10 years isn't
likely to be a problem since archival backups would typically be done on a
write-once medium and not on a rewritable. There aren't many proponents of
+/-RW for archival purposes.
Old June 12th 04, 11:32 PM
Uwe Holter

Impmon wrote:

Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

I wouldn't want to miss it anymore. It's very fast, extremely reliable and
you can use each disk like a hard drive. I'll never understand why it's not
more widespread.
Old June 12th 04, 11:36 PM
Uwe Holter

Daniel Prince wrote:

I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
drives.

Good choice!

Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or are
there brands that I should avoid?

AFAIK you can take any brand. There are way less compatibility problems
than with +R/-R media.

In your opinion, what is the best value in non-cartridge DVD-RAM media?

Prices don't vary much, neither does the quality. Samsung bundles an Maxell
DVD-RAM with the drive. I have also used Panasonic and Imation a lot
without any problems ever.

Old June 12th 04, 11:45 PM
Uwe Holter

"Mike Kohary" wrote:

Just my opinion, but I think the poor support for the format more than
erases any supposed reliability benefits,

That very much depends. If you want to use the media in various different
computers, you're probably right. If you intend to use it only in your own
PC or a compatible DVD-Recorder, the advantages of DVD-RAM may easily
outweigh the disadvantages.

and the drag-and-drop
capability is trivial. You'd surely be using at least a simple backup
program anyway. (And for that matter, you can drag-and-drop to DVD-R
or DVD+R anyway.)

But you can't use them with random access like a hard drive -- which you
can with DVD-RAM.

In 10 years, you will have much more trouble reading a DVD-RAM disc
than you would a more standard format. That's an important
consideration for archival backups.

There have been many reports yet of DVD+-RW media that was not readible
anymore after only a few years -- I'm in doubt that you can rely on being
able to read those discs in 10 years either.
DVD-RAM media recordings are expected to have a longer durabilty than DVD+-
RW.
Old June 13th 04, 04:31 AM
luminos

"Mike Kohary" wrote in message

wrote:

I am planing to buy a LG 4082B multi-drive mainly to back up my hard
drives. Do all brands of DVD-RAM media work well in this drive or
are there brands that I should avoid?

Why do you want DVD-RAM? It's not well supported and requires other
PC to have DVD-RAM drive to read them.

I have read that it is quite a bit more reliable that -RW or +RW.
Also it can be used as a regular drive (drag and drop etc.) without
packet writing software.

Just my opinion, but I think the poor support for the format more than
erases any supposed reliability benefits,

You have not used RAM if you think that. It is far superior in access time
and reliability. It is probably the best kept secret, so to speak, out
there.

Old June 13th 04, 12:48 PM
TV1

"Mike Ching" wrote in message
From what I've read even though the DVD-RAM format is more robust, the
increased reliability is primarily due to the use of a cartridge and the
guarantee for a bare disc is similar to +/-RW (1000 rewrites compared to
100,000 rewrites in a cartridge).

Is that true? Do you have a source?

Old June 14th 04, 05:53 AM
Trevor S

"luminos" wrote in
:

snip

You have not used RAM if you think that. It is far superior in access
time and reliability. It is probably the best kept secret, so to
speak, out there.

Agreed, the only people that think it's a bad idea are those that have
never used it. I use it and love it.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
fast cdrw media for my 52/32/52 lite on and I've got macs with 10x cdrws hupjack Cdr 2 April 17th 04 04:52 PM
C2 errors and CDR media questions Kevin McDonough Cdr 7 February 29th 04 07:49 PM
Laptop DVD Rom - DVD Media Compatibility +/- ? Rob Jones General 0 November 30th 03 10:13 AM