Notebook Abuse!

Old June 24th 11, 05:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

Default Notebook Abuse!

Nearly every time I see my daughter using her notebook it is being
suffocated on her bed.
I tell her what it does to the cooling of the CPU, but it doesn't have
any affect on her.
Can anyone recommend a site that I can show her or printout that maybe
she will believe?
Thanks! (She has a 1545)
Old June 24th 11, 06:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Can anyone recommend a site that I can show her or printout that maybe
she will believe?

A customer of mine brought in an Asus laptop for repairs...mostly bad
behavior due to malware and suchlike. As I'm looking it over, what
should I see but a badly melted bottom door. It's become stretched and
deformed due to heat, and the machine ran plenty hot enough sitting on
top of a metal desktop computer case with clearance underneath!

I wish I'd taken a picture. I might be seeing the machine again the
future, so maybe I will. Can't imagine exactly where it was used, but
I'm sure it spent some time with the ventilation underneath blocked
off.

William
Old June 25th 11, 12:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In
,
William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

Can anyone recommend a site that I can show her or printout that
maybe she will believe?

A customer of mine brought in an Asus laptop for repairs...mostly bad
behavior due to malware and suchlike. As I'm looking it over, what
should I see but a badly melted bottom door. It's become stretched and
deformed due to heat, and the machine ran plenty hot enough sitting on
top of a metal desktop computer case with clearance underneath!

I wish I'd taken a picture. I might be seeing the machine again the
future, so maybe I will. Can't imagine exactly where it was used, but
I'm sure it spent some time with the ventilation underneath blocked
off.

William

This used to be a very serious problem. Although some designs are taking
this abuse into account. Many modern CPUs nowadays will underclock if
they get close to overheating. I am sure this feature alone has saved
many laptops from cooking. As CPUs (and other components) cool down
really fast when underclocked.

That being said, there is always still a danger of excessive heat
regardless of the safety features. And I can tell you once a component
have passed the safety margin into overheating. It may start working
once again when it cools down. But the longevity of that component is no
doubt greatly reduced.

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Off topic: Report Measekite abuse to prodigy zakezuke Printers 21 April 16th 06 05:01 PM
Mental Abuse [email protected] Printers 9 February 11th 06 05:47 AM
Mental Abuse [email protected] General 3 February 10th 06 09:51 AM
[email protected] Tony1that matters Printers 0 October 3rd 03 01:46 PM