92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

Old April 30th 11, 04:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_4_]

Default 92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant information
available from a Google search; this is either a 90mm fan or a 92mm fan.
My question is: Does it matter whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy
millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on Newegg - and
none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm models.

Daddy
Old April 30th 11, 04:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

On 4/30/2011 11:30 AM, Daddy wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant
information available from a Google search; this is either a
90mm fan or a 92mm fan. My question is: Does it matter
whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on
Newegg - and none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm
models.

Daddy

I found it right off. 92mm
http://www.notebookparts.com/product...n.php?II=57471
Old April 30th 11, 10:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_4_]

Pen wrote:
On 4/30/2011 11:30 AM, Daddy wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant
information available from a Google search; this is either a
90mm fan or a 92mm fan. My question is: Does it matter
whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on
Newegg - and none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm
models.

Daddy

I found it right off. 92mm
http://www.notebookparts.com/product...n.php?II=57471

Yes, I saw that one as well. But sellers on eBay describe it as 90mm.

My question is, does it really matter whether I buy a 90mm or a 92mm
fan? I mean, if I'm wrong on the size, I'm only wrong by 2 millimeters.

Daddy
Old April 30th 11, 11:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

On 4/30/2011 5:11 PM, Daddy wrote:
Pen wrote:
[...]

Go ahead and use it and drill out the holes if it's wrong.

Old May 1st 11, 12:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mm

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 11:30:24 -0400, Daddy wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant information
available from a Google search; this is either a 90mm fan or a 92mm fan.
My question is: Does it matter whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy
millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on Newegg - and
none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm models.

Daddy

Penn's right. It might even fit, probably will -- the screw only has
to cut one little groove at one place in the hole perimeter -- and if
you have to make holes larger, maybe you should make a couple holes in
the metal case larger so the same screws fit all four plstic holes.

An excuse to buy a new tool, a reamer that has a T-handle and will
make the metal hole larger, a tiny bit at a time.
Old May 1st 11, 12:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_4_]

mm wrote:
[...]

"... a reamer that has a T-handle and will make the hole larger, a tiny
bit at a time ..."

Didn't they use something like that in the Inquisition?

Seriously, thanks for everyone's help.

Daddy
Old May 1st 11, 03:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Apr 30, 11:30*am, Daddy wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant information
available from a Google search; this is either a 90mm fan or a 92mm fan.
My question is: Does it matter whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy
millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on Newegg - and
none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm models.

Daddy

I don't understand "upgrade". A fan that blows more cubic feet per
minute? Or simply a replacement fan for one that does not work as
well any more? If the latter, just get another new one per its Dell
part number... Ben Myers
Old May 1st 11, 04:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_4_]

Ben Myers wrote:
On Apr 30, 11:30 am, Daddy wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant information
available from a Google search; this is either a 90mm fan or a 92mm fan.
My question is: Does it matter whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy
millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on Newegg - and
none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm models.

Daddy

I don't understand "upgrade". A fan that blows more cubic feet per
minute? Or simply a replacement fan for one that does not work as
well any more? If the latter, just get another new one per its Dell
part number... Ben Myers

Lol ... I knew somebody would eventually ask me "why are you even doing
this?" And the answer is: I, uh, don't really have a good reason. I
guess I'm trying for a little more quiet. I replaced Dell's stock video
card, and that made my computer noticeably quieter. And case fans are
cheap and easy to install, so I figured give it a shot. The Foxconn
blows 45 CFM. If I can find something real quiet that blows as much air,
I'll try it.

My next project is an upgraded power supply. In a larger sense, all this
is preparation for building my first ever computer.

Daddy
Old May 1st 11, 11:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Old May 2nd 11, 02:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_14_]

On 4/30/11 5:11 PM, Daddy wrote:
Pen wrote:
On 4/30/2011 11:30 AM, Daddy wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the case fan in my Studio XPS 8100.

The existing case fan is a Foxconn PVA092G12M. There's scant
information available from a Google search; this is either a
90mm fan or a 92mm fan. My question is: Does it matter
whether I use 90mm or 92mm? It's 2 lousy millimeters.

I'm only asking because there are hardly any 90mm fans on
Newegg - and none with 3 pins, but there are tons of 92mm
models.

Daddy

I found it right off. 92mm
http://www.notebookparts.com/product...n.php?II=57471

Yes, I saw that one as well. But sellers on eBay describe it as 90mm.

My question is, does it really matter whether I buy a 90mm or a 92mm
fan? I mean, if I'm wrong on the size, I'm only wrong by 2 millimeters.

Daddy

You'll probably be able to force it in there. I've done worse!
Why are you upgrading the fan? Noise? I hate noisy towers that sound
like a Learjet sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off.
I wish somebody would apply that Dyson bladeless technology to PC case
fans...
Scratch that, there are bladeless fans for PCs but they're über expensive.