AC Adapter question

Old November 27th 10, 06:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB[_2_]

Default AC Adapter question

OK, I wrecked my AC Adapter (pins shot).

The original AC Adapter had 65 watts. I bought one from a friend, a new
universal one, that works fine. Same voltage, but has 90 watts. My
friend says that doesn't matter.

Does it matter?

(I have a Compaq, but my other computers are Dells and I figure you guys
know about this stuff)

Mel
Old November 27th 10, 07:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Nov 27, 11:39*am, MZB wrote:
OK, I wrecked my AC Adapter (pins shot).

The original AC Adapter had 65 watts. I bought one from a friend, a new
universal one, that works fine. Same voltage, but has 90 watts. My
friend says that doesn't matter.

Does it matter?

(I have a Compaq, but my other computers are Dells and I figure you guys
know about this stuff)

Mel

It shouldn't matter...more is better...less is not.
Old November 28th 10, 12:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 11/27/2010 12:39 PM, MZB wrote:
OK, I wrecked my AC Adapter (pins shot).

The original AC Adapter had 65 watts. I bought one from a friend, a new
universal one, that works fine. Same voltage, but has 90 watts. My
friend says that doesn't matter.

Does it matter?

(I have a Compaq, but my other computers are Dells and I figure you guys
know about this stuff)

Mel

The wattage rating of an A/C adapter is the maximum wattage it can
provide on a sustained basis. If the computer needs less wattage to run
or charge the battery, that's all the adapter provides.

I have one of the hulking 130w adapters that come with the Inspiron
5150, 5160 or 9100. It works just fine with a low wattage 12" D400. In
fact, it is my most universal A/C adapter for powering Dell laptops...
Ben Myers
Old November 28th 10, 02:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:39:25 -0500, MZB wrote:

OK, I wrecked my AC Adapter (pins shot).

The original AC Adapter had 65 watts. I bought one from a friend, a new
universal one, that works fine. Same voltage, but has 90 watts. My
friend says that doesn't matter.

Does it matter?

(I have a Compaq, but my other computers are Dells and I figure you guys
know about this stuff)

Mel

Mel, I agree with Bob's reply. Everything I read also agrees with
what Bob said. Relax and enjoy !!!
Old November 29th 10, 06:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Does it matter?

Not much, if at all. The 90 watt AC adapter will provide more power--
but not any more than the system needs. What you may notice is faster
charging of the battery, especially when the system is powered on.

William
Old December 2nd 10, 01:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Frank Haber

ACK. The D610 apparently shipped with both 60W and 90W bricks, semi-randomly.
My 820s, with medium-to-high-end CPUs and graphics, run fine on 60W adapters,
but charge slowly, even if they came with 90s.

Old December 3rd 10, 08:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mm

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:39:25 -0500, MZB wrote:

OK, I wrecked my AC Adapter (pins shot).

The original AC Adapter had 65 watts. I bought one from a friend, a new
universal one, that works fine. Same voltage, but has 90 watts. My
friend says that doesn't matter.

Does it matter?

The power company you get your electricity from has 100's of millions
of watts, but you only use what you use. Same here.

Old December 7th 10, 09:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

My Dell laptop complains in the BIOS at boot that
the adapter isn't the wattage it expects, and
wants to know if it's a permanent change, when I
mix up 60w and 90w for the same model.

I gather it has to set something up in the
hardware to charge at the proper rate.