Boot cannot find drives

Old November 14th 10, 02:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Boot cannot find drives

Windows XP Dell DIM 2400

Every time I boot up I get the following error message:

"Primary Drive 1 not found. Secondary drive 2 not found. Strike the
F1 key to continue, or F2 to run the setup utility.

I hit F1 and I'm on my way to happy computing. But it's that extra
step that bugs me!

Prior suggestions in this venue were to put in a new CMOS battery .
Can't recall if it were successful or not...but I just bought a pack
of two NEW batteries and tried both! ZIP, NADA, GOOSE EGG!

Help? Please? And Thanx!

Old November 14th 10, 03:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Nov 14, 8:46*am, wrote:
Windows XP *Dell DIM 2400

Every time I boot up I get the following error message:

"Primary Drive *1 not found. *Secondary drive 2 not found. Strike the
F1 key to continue, or F2 to run the setup utility.

I hit F1 and I'm on my way to happy computing. *But it's that extra
step that bugs me!

Prior suggestions in this venue were to put in a new CMOS battery .
Can't recall if it were successful or not...but I just bought a pack
of two NEW batteries and tried both! * ZIP, NADA, GOOSE EGG!

Help? * Please? *And Thanx!

In Setup (BIOS) is primary set to "Auto" detect, and is the drive
jumper "cable select"?
Old November 15th 10, 02:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Nov 14, 8:20*am, Bob Villa wrote:
On Nov 14, 8:46*am, wrote:

Windows XP *Dell DIM 2400

Every time I boot up I get the following error message:

"Primary Drive *1 not found. *Secondary drive 2 not found. Strike the
F1 key to continue, or F2 to run the setup utility.

I hit F1 and I'm on my way to happy computing. *But it's that extra
step that bugs me!

Prior suggestions in this venue were to put in a new CMOS battery .
Can't recall if it were successful or not...but I just bought a pack
of two NEW batteries and tried both! * ZIP, NADA, GOOSE EGG!

Help? * Please? *And Thanx!

In Setup (BIOS) is primary set to "Auto" detect, and is the drive
jumper "cable select"?

BOB VILLA from Discount Tire?
Old November 15th 10, 02:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Every time I boot up I get the following error message:
"Primary Drive *1 not found. *Secondary drive 2 not found. Strike the
F1 key to continue, or F2 to run the setup utility.

I hit F1 and I'm on my way to happy computing. *But it's that extra
step that bugs me!

What kind of hard drive do you have in the system? Did you remove a
factory-installed drive or drives? If you did, you need to go into
setup (F2 at startup) and set the primary and secondary hard drives to
"OFF".

It sounds to me like your system is starting up from a drive attached
to an add-in card, like a SATA controller board.

William
Old November 15th 10, 05:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 11/14/2010 9:46 AM, wrote:
Windows XP Dell DIM 2400

Every time I boot up I get the following error message:

"Primary Drive 1 not found. Secondary drive 2 not found. Strike the
F1 key to continue, or F2 to run the setup utility.

I hit F1 and I'm on my way to happy computing. But it's that extra
step that bugs me!

Prior suggestions in this venue were to put in a new CMOS battery .
Can't recall if it were successful or not...but I just bought a pack
of two NEW batteries and tried both! ZIP, NADA, GOOSE EGG!

Help? Please? And Thanx!

A dead CMOS battery is one possible cause, but you've eliminated it.

Assuming that you have a Dimension 2400 without any added disk
controller cards, one or two run-of-the-mill IDE disk drives and
original Dell cables, here is what I would do:

1. Open up the chassis and look at the jumper settings on the hard
drive(s). The most trouble free setting for Dell computers is Cable
Select (CS).

2. Make sure that the hard drive(s) have a power cable connected and
that the drive data cable is inserted, too.

3. Boot up the system, pressing the F2 key immediately to enter the
system BIOS setup. Look at the drive settings and change as
appropriate. The hard drive(s) is attached to the primary IDE channel
and optical (CD-ROM etc) are attached to the secondary channel. As you
examine each drive setting (there are four), you can toggle the drive
sttings between installed or not installed.

.... Ben Myers

Old November 17th 10, 11:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Nov 14, 8:46*am, wrote:

Windows XP *Dell DIM 2400

Every time I boot up I get the following error message:

"Primary Drive *1 not found. *Secondary drive 2 not found. Strike the
F1 key to continue, or F2 to run the setup utility.

I hit F1 and I'm on my way to happy computing. *But it's that extra
step that bugs me!

Prior suggestions in this venue were to put in a new CMOS battery .
Can't recall if it were successful or not...but I just bought a pack
of two NEW batteries and tried both! * ZIP, NADA, GOOSE EGG!

Help? * Please? *And Thanx!

In Setup (BIOS) is primary set to "Auto" detect, and is the drive
jumper "cable select"?

No, but in following your suggestions, I set the both drives to AUTO
in the BIOS, and I attached a designation pin to the Cable Select
slot. Nothing happened...same old, same old!
Old November 17th 10, 11:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Nov 15, 7:24*am, "William R. Walsh" wrote:
Hi!

Every time I boot up I get the following error message:
"Primary Drive *1 not found. *Secondary drive 2 not found. Strike the
F1 key to continue, or F2 to run the setup utility.

I hit F1 and I'm on my way to happy computing. *But it's that extra
step that bugs me!

What kind of hard drive do you have in the system? Did you remove a
factory-installed drive or drives? If you did, you need to go into
setup (F2 at startup) and set the primary and secondary hard drives to
"OFF".

It sounds to me like your system is starting up from a drive attached
to an add-in card, like a SATA controller board.

William

Both drives are western digital that I added, I do have Sata drives
but they're USB, off- site via USB docks! And this has been
happening long before I got the Sata drives. No add in
cards,,,,except a PC internal USB card. And I set the two drives to
OFF in the Bios. Gee whizzz! No big deal, William, but what a pain it
is. I click F1 before the error message comes up, it goes into the KB
buffer and automatically boots...while I leave to make my coffee! What
a tough life, huh?

Ghost 9.0 Can't Find Drives kgf Storage (alternative) 21 November 18th 05 09:28 PM
New Motherboard Cannot Find IDE Drives Gummy Homebuilt PC's 12 July 11th 05 02:57 PM
Why are all the 5400rpm drives MORE than the 7200's now, if you can even find one?! [email protected] Storage & Hardrives 5 June 6th 05 06:00 AM
Can't find CD drives Phil B. Cdr 4 July 5th 03 08:54 PM
Can't find CD Drives Phil B. General 0 July 5th 03 01:30 AM