Legend 402CD in hand

Old October 24th 10, 04:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Legend 402CD in hand

Today, I was the proud recipient of a Legend 402CD in apparently good
condition, even with the original sticker on the top of the case telling
the specs. It is the usual square desktop chassis of the era.

Assumiong that this beauty is all original, it has a 75MHz Pentium
(worth its weight in gold), 8MB of memory, a CD-ROM drive and a 540MB
disk drive. Killer system!

Any interest? If so, I'll test it. If nobody shows interest within a
week, I'll tear down for the board recycler. You can buy either whole
or selected parts for shipping plus not much more than scrap value. A
potential valuable item for an Packard Bell collector. And I know there
are a few of you out there... Ben Myers
Old October 24th 10, 09:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben !

Once again, I do sincerely appreciate you keeping this (mostly dead ) NG
informed of your valuable finds.

I can't use that one myself, but I *DO* hope someone grabs it. You are known
for your very reasonable price, and it's a given that the machine will be as
you described.

Keep letting us know if any other PB's become available !

bobwatts
EartH

"Stay thirsty my friends! "

Old October 25th 10, 01:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
philo[_2_]

"Robert E. Watts" wrote in message
Hi Ben !

Once again, I do sincerely appreciate you keeping this (mostly dead ) NG
informed of your valuable finds.

I can't use that one myself, but I *DO* hope someone grabs it. You are
known for your very reasonable price, and it's a given that the machine
will be as you described.

Keep letting us know if any other PB's become available !

bobwatts
EartH

"Stay thirsty my friends! "

I'd have to check the exact model number but my first PC was a Packard Bell
Legend

p-75 with 8 megs of RAM abd an 850 meg HD

still have it but it's up in the attic

works fine, the last time I checked

Old November 6th 10, 03:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Legend 402CD is history

On 10/23/2010 11:09 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
Today, I was the proud recipient of a Legend 402CD in apparently good
condition, even with the original sticker on the top of the case telling
the specs. It is the usual square desktop chassis of the era.

Assumiong that this beauty is all original, it has a 75MHz Pentium
(worth its weight in gold), 8MB of memory, a CD-ROM drive and a 540MB
disk drive. Killer system!

Any interest? If so, I'll test it. If nobody shows interest within a
week, I'll tear down for the board recycler. You can buy either whole or
selected parts for shipping plus not much more than scrap value. A
potential valuable item for an Packard Bell collector. And I know there
are a few of you out there... Ben Myers

No takers. Stripped for boards and chips for electronic scrap. No
longer available. No longer exists... Ben Myers

Old December 29th 10, 05:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
MotoFox

Awwwww....

On the other hand, I acquired another vintage 1995 Force 54CD, Pentium 90 MHz,
just last week. Got rid of the old, junk/ed Conner 512MB hard drive and replaced
it with my trusty old 8GB Quantum "Bigfoot" drive. I am using the machine as a
terminal for the ADDS/NCR Mentor 2000 mainframe that I brought back from the
dead earlier this year.

This F54CD is now the second one I own (first was purchased brand-new, in 1995,
at the long-defunct "Computer City" store in PDX.)

Keep it real.

--
MotoFox
Former superstar of the Muzak Forums, 2003-2009
Old December 29th 10, 02:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/28/2010 11:38 PM, MotoFox wrote:
Awwwww....

On the other hand, I acquired another vintage 1995 Force 54CD, Pentium
90 MHz, just last week. Got rid of the old, junk/ed Conner 512MB hard
drive and replaced it with my trusty old 8GB Quantum "Bigfoot" drive. I
am using the machine as a terminal for the ADDS/NCR Mentor 2000
mainframe that I brought back from the dead earlier this year.

This F54CD is now the second one I own (first was purchased brand-new,
in 1995, at the long-defunct "Computer City" store in PDX.)

Keep it real.

TRUSTY Quantum Bigfoot??? An oxymoron if there ever was one. The
history behind the Bigfoot is telling, so I'll tell it.

Way back when, Quantum experimented with a new technique for sputtering
the magnetic oxide coating onto the material used to make the disks
inside the drives. Lo and behold, the sputtering resulted in lots of
defects in the magnetic media, so the capacity of 3.5" drives at the
time was much diminished compared to the competition. Quantum's
response was to build 5.25" Bigfoot drives, increasing the surface area
on which bits could be written.

Once, I mistakenly bought a number of surplus Bigfoot drives from Compaq
just after they acquired DEC. I sold them as quickly as I could, the
ones that worked... Ben Myers
Old December 30th 10, 07:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
MotoFox

Well, I currently own three Bigfoots, all salvaged from IBM Aptivas manufactured
circa 1999, and haven't had one fail on me yet, although I suspect one of them
is about ready to give up the ghost judging by some weird noises it's been
making lately. I guess they must have come from a decent batch or something.

Now, the "Fireball" drives Quantum introduced a few years later.....oi. Both of
them that I had failled miserably within their first year!

Old December 30th 10, 02:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/30/2010 1:35 AM, MotoFox wrote:
Well, I currently own three Bigfoots, all salvaged from IBM Aptivas
manufactured circa 1999, and haven't had one fail on me yet, although I
suspect one of them is about ready to give up the ghost judging by some
weird noises it's been making lately. I guess they must have come from a
decent batch or something.

Now, the "Fireball" drives Quantum introduced a few years later.....oi.
Both of them that I had failled miserably within their first year!

All of which explains why Quantum is no longer a drive manufacturer.
Maxtor bought them, a marriage of equals in product quality... Ben Myers
Old January 4th 11, 09:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
MotoFox

Tell me, then, what brand of hard drive are you using in your Packard Bell macines?

If you say Western Digital, I will laugh dump-my-pants out loud. All of the
various WD drives I have purchased brand new during the past several years have
failled within the first few months of operation!

--
MotoFox
Former superstar of the Muzak Forums, 2003-2009
Do not staple, fold, spindle or mutilate; keep away from sources of magnetism.
If ingested, do not induce vomiting.

402cd io device irq conflict mc Packard Bell Computers 11 July 4th 09 03:00 PM
Legend 402CD Ben Myers[_2_] Packard Bell Computers 7 June 30th 09 03:36 AM
legend 402 AWM Packard Bell Computers 5 June 17th 08 01:17 AM
Legend 402 cd frank Packard Bell Computers 1 March 28th 05 05:05 PM
PB Legend 2050 Chris Packard Bell Computers 3 April 22nd 04 05:03 AM