CanT connect to network or internet

Old December 17th 08, 03:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Don[_9_]

Default CanT connect to network or internet

I have an inspiron E1505 running window XP service pack 2. I can't connect
to my home network or the internet with the wireless connection or the
network cable. Both network adaptors indicate that they are working
properly. I have another laptop that works connected to the same cable and
wireless connection. Both laptops are configured the same so it must be a
problem with windows. Tried system restore but the resore points were
corrupt, get message that the restoration was incomplete.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old December 17th 08, 10:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
CJJE

Is your firewall blocking access? Try turning it off and see if that helps.
What has changed on your laptop since it used to be able to connect? Have
you downloaded M$ updates?

Chris

Old December 17th 08, 12:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Don[_9_]

No updates or firewall that I'm aware of, it's my daughters laptop, she
doesn't know what happened.
Going to try upgrading to SP3

Old December 17th 08, 01:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
OG

"Don" wrote in message
No updates or firewall that I'm aware of, it's my daughters laptop, she
doesn't know what happened.
Going to try upgrading to SP3

You'd be better off trying to sort it before doing the upgrade.

Try Winsock XP fix first.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

It worked for me when I had a total network failure some years ago.

Old December 18th 08, 12:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:30:32 -0000, "OG"
wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
.. .
No updates or firewall that I'm aware of, it's my daughters laptop, she
doesn't know what happened.
Going to try upgrading to SP3

You'd be better off trying to sort it before doing the upgrade.

Try Winsock XP fix first.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

It worked for me when I had a total network failure some years ago.

My thoughts too about a corrupted winsock. For the OP, be sure to
reboot after you fix the winsock (at least this has been my
experience). I learned this the hard way once.
Old December 19th 08, 02:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Postman delivers

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:25:45 -0600, Don wrote:

I have an inspiron E1505 running window XP service pack 2. I can't
connect to my home network or the internet with the wireless connection
or the network cable. Both network adaptors indicate that they are
working properly. I have another laptop that works connected to the
same cable and wireless connection. Both laptops are configured the
same so it must be a problem with windows. Tried system restore but the
resore points were corrupt, get message that the restoration was
incomplete.

Thanks in advance for any help.

* * *
Don,

I always have a copy of mepis7, puppy 3.1, or Slitaz cooking to run as a
Linux live cd. Running one of these as a live CD, it is easy to connect
to your router, and with a little knowledge & practice to use a wireless
connection... Tis an easy safe solution to confirm a software, and not
hardware problems you have run into..

JR