What Have They Done to the Community Forums?

Old December 6th 08, 07:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

Default What Have They Done to the Community Forums?

Maybe I'm behind the times, but I've just had a look at the 'new,
improved' Dell Community Forums. They're awful!

In the first place, the number of Forums has been reduced, so each group
now covers many more topics than before.

Also, the Advanced Search options have been dumbed down, so now it's
harder to zero in on a specific query. As a result, even the most
specific search terms return tens of thousands of results, most totally
irrelevent.

The interface has been changed too, so you have to wade through extra
detail to find what you want.

Finally, the home page is poorly organized and vague, so it's harder to
figure out how to find things.

It's almost as though Dell is trying to kill off its own user forum by
making it so un-user friendly that people will give up in exasperation.

This is really disappointing. I was a big fan of the old Dell Community
Forums. They were a great help to me.

A few years ago Dell stopped maintaining a separate technical
knowledgebase. That was extremely helpful to me. You can still find
knowledgebase articles but now they're mixed into the thousands of hits
that result from searching the support website.

First the knowledgebase, now the user forums, and Dell is no longer the
quality leader in PCs...it's getting harder for me to think 'Dell, of
course' for my next PC.

Daddy
Old December 6th 08, 07:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BigJim

are they still in English?
Old December 6th 08, 10:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
GrtArtiste

On Dec 6, 1:42*pm, Daddy wrote:
Maybe I'm behind the times, but I've just had a look at the 'new,
improved' Dell Community Forums. They're awful!

Dell seems to think that users want a MySpace/Facebook experience
rather than a community or users voluntarily spending time on the site
to help other users. Supposedly, all the info from the old forum is
still there (if you can find it....good luck on that.)

GrtArtiste
Old December 7th 08, 01:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dg1261

"Daddy" wrote in message
Maybe I'm behind the times, but I've just had a look at the 'new,
improved' Dell Community Forums. They're awful!

Yeah, they really fubarred it up big time. Take a look at the comments in
the poll (http://communityweb.ins.dell.com/for...19240925.aspx), and it's
overwhelmingly negative. Even the poll seems to be broken--or more likely,
disabled to stop the landslide of negative votes. It quickly ran up to 71%
negative in the first two weeks, then suddenly stopped changing. They made
the switchover Nov 7 and asked, "Take a moment to tell us what you think
about the new community." Consensus in the community is that despite the
negative reception and calls to bring back the old forums, Dell doesn't
really care what you think and has no plans to do anything about the mess.

I used to check in there several times a week to pick up new information
from the more knowledgable regulars or offer my help when I could. Now I
can't even figure out which messages I've already seen. (Notice there
aren't even any dates on the message indexes anymore!) I used to have a
library of links to posts with valuable information from others, but that's
all gone now. I've tried half a dozen times to push myself through it to
see if it got any better with familiarity, but have finally conceded defeat.
Life's too short to waste time unnecessarily like that.

Old December 7th 08, 08:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Cmplx80

Daddy wrote:
[...]

At one time, Dell's community forum was one of best. So much for a Good
Thing. I'm convinced that given sufficient time, Dell could easily
screw up an anvil.

Frank
Old December 9th 08, 07:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Postman delivers

http://theunofficial-dellsupportforu....php?act=idxin
Old December 10th 08, 01:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,aus.computers
Phred

Default Recycled Dell staff [Was: What Have They Done to the Community Forums?]

In article , Postman Delivers wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:42:59 -0500, Daddy wrote:

Maybe I'm behind the times, but I've just had a look at the 'new,
improved' Dell Community Forums. They're awful!

[snip]
A few years ago Dell stopped maintaining a separate technical
knowledgebase. That was extremely helpful to me. You can still find
knowledgebase articles but now they're mixed into the thousands of hits
that result from searching the support website.

First the knowledgebase, now the user forums, and Dell is no longer the
quality leader in PCs...it's getting harder for me to think 'Dell, of
course' for my next PC.

http://theunofficial-dellsupportforu....php?act=idxin

Interesting to note that the latest issue of the business magazine
_Forbes Asia_ (8 Dec 2008) has named a former Dell employee, William
Amelio, and his Chinese colleague, Yang Yuanqing, as "Forbes Asia
Businessmen of the Year 2008". (Amelio, who works out of his office
in Singapore, is now CEO of the Chinese PC company Lenovo; and
Yuanqing, who is usually found in Raleigh NC, is the Lenovo Group
Chairman.)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old December 10th 08, 09:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,aus.computers
Ben Myers[_2_]

Phred wrote:
[...]

They're all recycled from one company to another. That's why all the
computers look the same, cost the same, break down just as often as one
another. Fresh ideas? None. Except maybe Apple... Ben Myers
Old December 10th 08, 10:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,aus.computers
Daddy[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

It seems like the freshest ideas in computing these days come from
teenagers in Belarus. Unfortunately, they're criminals.

Daddy

NWLB Tech community. NWLB General 0 December 16th 07 09:15 PM
Pros & Cons Of Going With A Cam Community Pat Cook Webcams 0 November 10th 05 04:58 AM
Join Our Online Community of Fun! RavenCross Storage & Hardrives 0 February 5th 05 05:01 AM