press 4 to unlock core

Old October 23rd 20, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default press 4 to unlock core

bad sector wrote:

I use Linux only but even with windows a driver wouldn't do diddley
before the OS loads.

True, but I thought you said the keyboard was slow after the OS loaded,
too. Maybe the driver would provide a quicker interface to the device
than the standard HID driver bundled in Windows.

I revisited their web site. It sucks: hardly any info there. Their
"driver" download looks to be just a tweaker and macro tool. The only
documentation there on their "driver" is a picture of its GUI, so it's a
program, not a driver. See an enlarged pic at:

https://pmt3dcbca-pic35.websiteonlin...10-01_ksxm.png

Looks like the program lets you assign macros to keys, change keycodes,
and adjust lighting. It's a tweaker, not a driver. Hopefully the
keyboard has some memory to store the tweaks, so you don't have to keep
setting them over and over.

Durgod Zeus Engine
^^^ ^^^^

They sure are into god names and Greek mythology, and for a Chinese
company. Odd they didn't call it Pangu or Jade Emperor.
Old October 23rd 20, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bad sector

On 2020-10-23 13:40, VanguardLH wrote:
bad sector wrote:

I use Linux only but even with windows a driver wouldn't do diddley
before the OS loads.

True, but I thought you said the keyboard was slow after the OS loaded,
too. Maybe the driver would provide a quicker interface to the device
than the standard HID driver bundled in Windows.

I don't use windows as such but there's no problem
with the keyboard under any Linux distro OS nor under
windows (without a driver) running as a virtual machine
(vbox) under Linux.

Come to think of it there having been very few times
when I _could_ enter into BIOS for editing while holding
down the 'Del' key, maybe it wasn't because of the delete
key at all but because of some other hangup. Once the
boot gets to the grub boot menu the keys may still be
without effect X times out of 10 but then all I have
to do is plug the keyboatrd into another usb port
(maybe just cycle it in the same one). This part
holds some of the answer I'm sure. I know grub does
a lot of sniffing but that's all way over my head.

Old October 24th 20, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

bad sector wrote:

Come to think of it there having been very few times when I _could_
enter into BIOS for editing while holding down the 'Del' key, maybe
it wasn't because of the delete key at all but because of some other
hangup.

Since you are using a USB-only keyboard (and likely a USB-only mouse,
too), check the BIOS is *not* set to enable legacy devices (which are
PS/2 input devices).

Another setting in BIOS is how long to wait at the POST screen. In my
BIOS (UEFI), I go there under the Boot tab to configure the timeout for
the Setup Prompt Timetout. Some default to just 1 second which isn't
even enough time for you to notice it's time when you can hit the hotkey
to get into BIOS. I can't see what is my value unless I reboot, but my
guess is that I upped it to 4 (seconds).

The manual for your mobo is at:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...ula_manual.zip

Page 3-7 has a screenshot of the main BIOS screen. There's a Boot tab,
so I looked under there. I did not find a timeout that I could set for
holding on the POST screen, but there is a "Quick Boot" setting (enabled
by default). I would disable that, because info in the POST screen is
often critical to debugging hardware problems, like seeing if the BIOS
found all the internal drives (CD/DVD, HDD, SSD).

I would also disable the Fullscreen Logo settings. That's there ad
banner to announce you bought an Asus product. Big whoopdee doo. Often
it obliterates some, or all, of the POST screen. It doesn't save any
time nor does it consume more. It's just a nuisance to experts merely
to hide the tech data from boobs.

There is a "Hit 'Del' Message Display" setting to show the prompt to hit
Del on the POST screen. Is that enabled?

Under the Advanced tab, USB config, I'd try setting Legacy USB Support
to Enabled (instead of the Auto default) just to see if the USB keyboard
behaves better during the POST (BIOS startup up to POST screen, but
before the OS loads). You'll also want to make sure the USB 2.0
controller is set to HiSpeed mode.
Old October 24th 20, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bad sector

On 2020-10-22 10:07, bad sector wrote:

Having 'increasing' probs with my 8-core AMD destktop. The board is
an asus-xhair-IV

Boot often doesn't even begin and pops the subject error message
which includes "or F.. to load defaults" and words of this nature.

CPU temps never above 50c.

BIOS should come up by touching "Del" but it takes a dozen attempts
for that to work with my new usb gaming keyboard.

This morning bios just would not detect 2 of my data drives in sata
slots 3 & 4 (using a 5-bay rack with 1-4 sata reserved).

After I don't know how many reboots bios still wasn't detecting but
"fdisk -l" finally picked one of them up.

On the last boot bios detected it too, got it mounted, and it's
presently taking 1tb of backups.

I would just like some ballpark hunches to start with, what

do symptoms like this suggest? Mobo, rack, bios?

tried another trick too:

When the "press 4 to activate the Asus Core unlocker"
showed up I knew I did not have enough time to cycle
the keyboard usb connection to another or to the same
usb port, BUT that there was a good chance that the
alert would show again on the next boot. On this first
boot the grub boot menu would have showed up and
THEN I would have had the time tio cycle the connection
if needed.

But I wanted to experiemnt so I re-booted with the
keyboard disconnected ready to connect it when I
see the alert and being at the same time ready to hit
the 4 key. It worked.

So to my brain-stem level expertise it looks like the
keyboard is not recognized initially but an insertion is.

NB. I'm always using the mobo usb ports only, the
ones on the back and never the fron panel addons.

Stuck at Press Del F12 Steve y Acer Computers 0 October 13th 11 11:46 AM
Which Notebook to buy? Intel Centrino, Core DUO, Core Duo 2, AMD Turion, Single Core [email protected] General 4 August 31st 06 02:11 AM
Press F1 woes herbzee Abit Motherboards 5 March 20th 06 01:55 AM
Planet Press coolbreeze Printers 0 February 15th 06 10:10 PM
Why do I have to press ESC to boot? Shep© General 5 October 16th 03 11:23 AM