A long Dell chat with Rahul and Mohammed

Old December 30th 10, 06:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default A long Dell chat with Rahul and Mohammed

On 12/30/2010 12:11 PM, wrote:
On Dec 30, 6:39 am, Ben wrote:
On 12/30/2010 2:59 AM, Brian Smith wrote:

"Ben wrote in message
On 12/29/2010 3:20 PM, Helroy wrote:
"Ben Myers" wrote in message

snip
I wonder where Rahul and Mohammed are? Pakistan? Afghanistan?

Most likely India.

Well, Rahul IS a popular name in India, but Mohammed is as uncommon as the
small Muslim minority there. It was Mohammed's name that left me guessing
as to country of origin... Ben

Muslims make up about 13.4% of India's population and given that India now
has about 1.2 billion people it's not like there wouldn't be millions of
Mohammed's in India. India has the third largest Muslim population in the
world.

Brian

Aha! Thank you. The decades of fighting with Pakistan over Kashmir led
me to the false conclusion that Muslims were a smaller minority. Why
can't we all get along? ... Ben

Hi Ben...I not sure how serious you are about an answer to your
question of why can't we all get along. This is so far off topic, but
I wondered that myself, so I some research a few years back. The three
Abrahamic religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are strong
monotheistic religions and being so makes them think that their view
of the Ultimate One is only true view even though the three religions
evolved from the descendants of the same source--Abraham. However,
compared to Judaism, Christianity and Islam are new religions, with
Christianity being an offshoot of Judaism beginning around the 1st
century.

Ironically prior the 3rd century (Islam came much later about the 7th
or 8th Century), there were many flavors of monotheism, most notably
the Christian Gnostics who believed that mainstream Christians
worshiped a minor god and the Gnostics themselves worships the one
true God. The Christian Gnostics claimed to have a secret knowledge
of the one true God. To confuse things even more, two early Church
fathers, Clement and Origen were Platonists with a strong mystical
orientation. Origen works were later condemn as heresy and his works
burned by the early Church in the 5th century.

Prior to the rise of Christianity in the third and fourth centuries,
mainstream religions in the Roman empire got along without fighting
one another. After the emergence of orthodox Christianity in the 4th
and 5th centuries, people began to lose their lives over the issue of
religions.

When Islam was found around the 8th century things even got more
heated. There is some idea that Muhammad was actually a Christian
monk before he had a revelation from God that led to Islam.

There is so much that has gotten lost in history.

Sorry for the off topic!

Larry

Yep, and millions of lives have been lost due to the actions of the
followers of their own true and wonderfully benevolent gods. There is
some irony here somewhere... Ben
Old December 31st 10, 05:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Peter Greenstein

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
t...

video failure, which results in a motherboard replacement 'kit' (that
includes a new heat sink/fan/thermal pads) is far more common in this
model than hard drive failure. on a positive note, dell seems to ship
replacement drives for the xps mxxxx series with the os already loaded.
but the os is probably vista and replacing it with windows 7 makes for a
much better user experience (vista seems to randomly hand on these
machines for unknown reasons).

Did you mean "vista seems to radomly HANG on these machines"?

Personally, I can't recall having this problem on mine.

peter

Old December 31st 10, 11:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bill Ghrist[_4_]

On 12/30/2010 12:11 PM, wrote:
On Dec 30, 6:39 am, Ben wrote:

snip

[...]

One of the biggest problems was the merging of religion with secular
authority, which for Christianity started in the early fourth century,
and for Islam was present pretty much from the start. The unholy
alliances between religion and the state were welcomed by political
leaders as another source of power and by religious leaders as a means
of promulgating the faith (often by military adventures). This greatly
expanded the scope and influence of the religious institutions, but at
the cost of great damage to their spiritual integrity. For many
centuries the Roman Church, for example, was little distinguishable from
other secular states. In my opinion the damage caused by religious
conflict has been due mainly to the misuse of religion by authorities
(secular and religious) for personal and political aggrandizement rather
than by the core values of the religions themselves.

Bill Ghrist
Old January 1st 11, 04:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Dec 31, 3:09*pm, Bill Ghrist wrote:
On 12/30/2010 12:11 PM, wrote:

On Dec 30, 6:39 am, Ben *wrote:

snip

[...]

Again off topic, but I would agree with what you say. While Emperor
Constantine legalized the Christian religion about 312, Emperor
Theodosius's decree in the 390s, that Christianity was to be, to the
exclusion of all other religions, the only religion of the Empire led
to Christian dominance. I agree, it is difficult to say who co-opted
whom as both the Emperor (secular authority) and the early Church
equally benefited. Although I think Constantine had no idea what a
beehive he inherited due to the split of many in the early Church over
Christological issues. Some of them are hot button religious issues to
this day.

From what I understand, Theodosius's decree virtually gave
Christianity a monopoly on religion in the Empire and early Church
officials authority to use military force to destroy non-Christian
temples and compel the populace to convert to the new religion. Of
course most of the non-Christian religions went underground.

Maybe this heated disagreement over early Christological issues and
the early Church's use of force are the initial sources of many
religious issues we are facing even today. Military adventures such
as the Crusades only further inflamed issues between East and West.

All that, along with what you pointed out are plausible answers to
Ben's original question, "Why can't we all get along?"

Larry
Old January 4th 11, 05:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/31/2010 11:57 AM, Peter Greenstein wrote:

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
t...

video failure, which results in a motherboard replacement 'kit' (that
includes a new heat sink/fan/thermal pads) is far more common in this
model than hard drive failure. on a positive note, dell seems to ship
replacement drives for the xps mxxxx series with the os already
loaded. but the os is probably vista and replacing it with windows 7
makes for a much better user experience (vista seems to randomly hand
on these machines for unknown reasons).

Did you mean "vista seems to radomly HANG on these machines"?

Personally, I can't recall having this problem on mine.

peter

yes. if yours works smoothly then great, but i have seen many with many
issues running vista. those issues all went away when windows 7 was
installed on the same machine so the isses were obviously not hardware.
seems criminal that dell/microsoft didn't provide windows 7 as a free
upgrade on these machines sold with vista that have problems running it.