windows hardware error message

Old May 7th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default windows hardware error message

It is further alleged that on or about Sat, 06 May 2006 23:09:40 GMT,
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, the queezy keyboard of "DGDevin"
spewed the following:

|"Maxis" wrote in message

| swearing and hitting with hammer,
|
|What kind of hammer?

A BFH.

--
-nos1eep
Old May 12th 06, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Claw. I since spent many hours, well days really, setting up windows
xp, and can now recommend a sledge. It works on nuts as well.

Old May 12th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Dorothy Bradburywrote:
o Backup important data
o Check capacitors on the mainboard
---- rare, but can happen
o Check PSU ATX connector since this is Tyan Tiger MPX
---- some like to cook their ATX joints, it's a high end board
o Check HD cables
---- changing drive may still leave cable (data / power) problem
---- check HD re Makers Diagnostic Utility
o Check memory
---- run MEMTEST for a while
o Check the PSU itself
---- voltages may give an indication -- m/b utility or MBM
---- however quickest is plug in an alternative
o Check reported temps
---- HD via HDDTemp
---- Case via MBM or similar
o Check heatsinks are seated correctly
---- usual things like not seated correctly, paste dried etc
o Reseat carefully memory, cards, connectors
---- reseating simply re contact oxidation not re frustration :-)

The MPX was quite good at spotting the weak PSUs from the strong

:-)
Particularly good at driving you mad when you had a rack of 42 of

them.
--
DB.

Thank you very much for all that Dorothy, I haven't responed sooner as
(as I mentioned in the previous post) I've been installing windows,
which I find is great for teaching yourself patience.
I could never get the ecc to work on the mpx. I thought it was the
bios, but updating made no difference so I forgot about it. Now that
I know 1 memory module has failed I now suspect it there fault.
Crucial will check it for me when they replace the failed module.
It's both rare and nice to find a company that stands by it's
product.
The psu was a 550w enermax, and bought new with the board, I shall try
sticking it back in, as I'll now attempt to get the adaptec raid card
working as well; well when I've finished with setting up windows, 3
days and counting.

Thanks again for all your input, I'll copy it to a word file and no
doubt lose it all in the next crash.
Maxis