windows hardware error message

Old May 4th 06, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default windows hardware error message

Hello,
my computer started behaving badly, documents seemed to be corrupted,
I'd have to restart, then I started getting BSODs; but with different
error messsages, sometime it claimed it was corrupt drivers, other
times Boot Sector problems. Then nothing, not even beeps.
Things I've tried: new hard drive, reinstall of windows xp, install of
windows 2k, new graphics cards, single graphics card, turning off
shadowing in bios, turning on and off ECC in bios, updating bios,
swearing and hitting with hammer, taking out all cards except 1 very
basic graphics card, changing the battery.
And always the same result, I can usually install windows, but either
after the first re-boot or during the installation windows says it is
shutting down to prevent damage to the computer, and I get a bsod,
with, usually, a master boot record error.

the mobo is a tyan tiger mpx, the processors are amd athlon mp's, and
there are 3, 1 gig modules in the memory bank's. It's worked ok (well
as well as any windows box works) for about 2 years)

Any ideas anyone? and thanks very much for even getting this far...

Old May 4th 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturer

"Maxis" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,
my computer started behaving badly, documents seemed to be corrupted,
I'd have to restart, then I started getting Bosks; but with different

Old May 5th 06, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Hi --

I hate to say it, but it sounds to me like you've tried everything under
the sun *except* what I'd guess it probably is -- Namely, that the power
supply is dying and needs to be replaced. These random errors, coupled
with the spontaneous shut-downs "to prevent damage to the computer"
(probably meaning to prevent your CPU and Mobo from frying) seem to
point in that direction.

Of course, if a faulty power supply *has* led to other components
overheating, it may not be *just* the PSU *anymore*... I'd say try
replacing the power supply. If problems persist (and especially if you
smell something burning), try to replace the mobo and other components.

But be sure you have a fresh new PSU first. I know whereof I speak: I'm
a PC tech, and I think I've replaced more power supplies in my clients'
systems that any other component. I can also offer the following sad
story from my youth as a cautionary tale: In my early PC days, when the
idea of opening one up, let alone building one was alien to me, I had a
Compaq Presario Windows 95 system that developed a problem whereby the
PSU fan kept stalling. I was in the middle of a semester at college at
the time, and felt I could not afford taking it in to repairs and be
without a PC. So I ignored the problem, and would just give the PSU a
slap, which would start the fan up again, albeit for a short time, and
whirring unnaturally loudly.

Finally, the semester ended and I took the system in to replace the PSU,
and for good measure, I had them install a new HDD and more RAM too.
When I got the system back, within a few minutes, the system locked up.
Repeated reboots led to the same result, full system lockup within
minutes, and the nasty smell of burnt rubber emanating from the PC.

I returned it to the shop and was informed that the mobo and CPU (as
well as the brand new RAM I had installed) were toast, and I basically
had to have most of the system replaced at no small expense. The mobo
et al. had apparently been deteriorating all the time I was using it
with the failing PSU, and the system finally snuffed it on return from
the first trip to repairs. (I guess it wanted to come home to die.)

Moral: When the computer starts "behaving badly", and the symptoms are
too random to readily pinpoint, suspect the power supply first, before
any potential problem with it leads to the premature death of any other
components.

Hope this helps... Please keep us posted on your progress...

--
Dave

Old May 5th 06, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I vote with peter and the psu guys.
If you haven't yet, try 1 mem stick after cleaning the fingers, and see what
happens.
Then the psu.

. ..

Old May 5th 06, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Well I thought the psu was likely as well. I've had a LOT of stuff in
there, 5 scsi drives, an raid card, 2 graphics cards two hd's,
coolers for the hd's, and all on a 550watt power supply, it was an
enermax though.
Anyway, I had an hardly used 400watt supermicro supply, which had been
inadequate when I put the raid in, so I put that in and... no joy,
same bsod.

So I took out all but 1 memory module, bingo! I am writing this on the
resurected machine. So thank you very very much; everyone and a
coconut for Peter!

Maxis

Old May 5th 06, 11:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

o Backup important data
o Check capacitors on the mainboard
---- rare, but can happen
o Check PSU ATX connector since this is Tyan Tiger MPX
---- some like to cook their ATX joints, it's a high end board
o Check HD cables
---- changing drive may still leave cable (data / power) problem
---- check HD re Makers Diagnostic Utility
o Check memory
---- run MEMTEST for a while
o Check the PSU itself
---- voltages may give an indication -- m/b utility or MBM
---- however quickest is plug in an alternative
o Check reported temps
---- HD via HDDTemp
---- Case via MBM or similar
o Check heatsinks are seated correctly
---- usual things like not seated correctly, paste dried etc
o Reseat carefully memory, cards, connectors
---- reseating simply re contact oxidation not re frustration :-)

Dual CPUs load the PSU quite heavily - and Tiger MPXs in particular,
not all PSUs will be built with regard to the actual demands of that board.

Realise a failing PSU can take the system with it - rare, but it can
happen. ATX specs require contained failure re smoke emission to
crowbar protection, to keeping LV & HV very far apart. However a
lot of PSUs vary from the specification - re protection & wattage.
Rail amperage will be critical with a Tiger MPX, the PSU may have
aged sufficiently that it is no longer stable enough for the board.

One other area - onboard CPU VRMs can go out, but this tends to
be more common on servers thrashed in hot coloco environments.
That can give the problems you specify - but is a lower probability.

If the RAM has ECC & the boards supports it (MPX does, I think
it is the earlier MP which did not along with more bugs) leave it on.
ECC is quite useful in dual-CPU & server environments.

Check BIOS settings - and check your BIOS battery.
Specifically check any timings haven't got mucked about with,
use appropriate defaults and such like - BIOSs can corrupt.

You are correct to minimise the system configuration, as that helps
identify the single point of failure or compatibility failure. The PSU
is an oft neglected cause - it looks passive, but they have moments :-)

Secondary capacitors (LV) of PSUs seem quite vulnerable lately,
which can result in quite slow deterioration of a PCs stability. That
requires a more involved testing - switch the PSU if any doubt.

Pick a PSU with rails sufficient for your machine - check AMDs site.
The MPX was quite good at spotting the weak PSUs from the strong :-)
Particularly good at driving you mad when you had a rack of 42 of them.
--
DB.

Old May 7th 06, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Maxis" wrote in message
. ..

swearing and hitting with hammer,

What kind of hammer?