upgrading to a higher version of Windows with an older homebuilt pc

Old February 28th 16, 09:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jp

Default upgrading to a higher version of Windows with an older homebuiltpc

On 2/28/2016 4:56 PM, John B. Smith wrote:
I built my first (and only) pc in 2008:

MB ABIT|IP35 Pro XE P35 R
Cpu CPU INTEL|C2D E8400 3G 775 45N R
First memory MEM 2Gx2|CORS TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF R

I installed WindowsXP on it and have held onto that OS for dear life
ever since. But now quite a few things have become inconvenient with
having an obsolete OS. The latest was the news that Chrome (which I
run on top of XP, will no longer be able to get updates if it runs on
XP. I don't know how much of a problem that will be but I need Chrome.

I wonder, could I just buy a Windows 7 or perhaps Windows 10 CD and
expect it to install on this machine?

I recall a number of files from Abit came with the motherboard. Did I
have to have these installed for my WindowsXP to install/work? (and I
guess you know, Abit no longer makes motherboards)

Then there was the problem I encountered when I tried to install XP on
a notebook I'd purchased with Vista installed. Turned out it couldn't
be done, I had to live with Vista.

These doubts make me very wary of simply buying a new Windows and
trying to install it, thought I'd better put the question to the
experts (you guys)

I'm in the same situation as you except I use Firefox which still
supports XP.
ASUS A8N5X, Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 3800+, 2x1G RAM and NVIDIA GeForce
9800 GTX (dual monitor support).
I have an older HP deskjet 722C printer (parallel interface), Canon
Pixma IP5000 photo printer (USB) and an Epson Perfection 2580 Photo
scanner (USB)attached. I ran a "windows 7 compatibility" software
utility downloaded from MS which checks all your drivers and hardware to
see if it compatible with Win7. It reported that nothing, including my
graphics card, would be compatible with Win7.
So I would have to replace all my perfectly working hardware in order to
upgrade to Win7. Needless to say I'm sticking with WinXP until I am
forced to change.

Jeff

---

Old February 28th 16, 11:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 15:56:00 -0500, John B. Smith
wrote:

I installed WindowsXP on it and have held onto that OS for dear life
ever since.

XP/SP3 offers the widest backwards compatibility, narrowing choices to
SP1. The name of game is then find old utilities for modern programs
reinventing the wheel. Programs where prior versions are listed may
help. It's the INET you're saying that's leaving you behind, which is
as intended: They, industry, wants you to upgrade and force you into
their channels of determined standards of obsolescence. For
non-alt.hardware.pc.homebuit that means: if all software, a browser,
doesn't work, therefore, the computer is busted.

Welcome to alt.computer.literacy. Learn or sink. Your options, if
you accept this mission abound. See you later in
alt.computer.hacking. Maybe. (I'm not sure if that group was
declared illegal and shut down.)
Old February 29th 16, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

John B. Smith wrote:
I built my first (and only) pc in 2008:

MB ABIT|IP35 Pro XE P35 R
Cpu CPU INTEL|C2D E8400 3G 775 45N R
First memory MEM 2Gx2|CORS TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF R

What is your vid card?

My read^1 on that mobo is that it doesn't have onboard video.

I can't see any reason yet the Win7 wouldn't work. MS also advises
checking on your peripherals such as printer drivers.

I installed WindowsXP on it and have held onto that OS for dear life
ever since. But now quite a few things have become inconvenient with
having an obsolete OS. The latest was the news that Chrome (which I
run on top of XP, will no longer be able to get updates if it runs
on XP. I don't know how much of a problem that will be but I need
Chrome.

I wonder, could I just buy a Windows 7 or perhaps Windows 10 CD and
expect it to install on this machine?

MS makes a tool that you can run on XP to test your hardware for
compatibility with Win7
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=20 The Windows
7 Upgrade Advisor scans your PC for potential compatibility issues and
lets you know about your Windows 7 upgrade options. Within minutes,
you'll get a report that tells you if your PC meets the system
requirements, if any known compatibility issues with your hardware,
devices, and installed programs are found, and gives guidance on what to
do to before installing Windows 7 on your PC.

Personally I would rather have Win7 than Win10

^1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127030

--
Mike Easter
Old February 29th 16, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

John B. Smith wrote:
[...]

If you buy Win7 SP1 x64, you can always upgrade to Win10 x64
for free. That would give you a chance to see if it works.
The free upgrade interval, lasts until July 29, 2016 or so.

For me, one limiting item, is video card. My HD 6450 (a cheap card),
has just gone out of support for Win10. No problem with a Win7
driver. On the NVidia side, the rot has extended to the 8800 family,
and there might not be any more Win10 driver updates for it.
So you might need a newer (cheap) video card at some point.
Take care to buy something which spans the OSes you want
covered.

When I needed a copy of Win7, I bought Win7 SP1 Professional,
as the Test Machine has more RAM than the other versions of
Win7 will allow. I can run WinXP Mode (copy of Virtual PC
as well as a legal install of WinXP) if I want. Win7 also
has stuff like Media Center (which I don't use either, as
my tuner is the wrong kind).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...78(VS.85).aspx

Select this column,
for future x64 Chrome work -------------+

Version Limit on X86 Limit on X64

Windows 7 Ultimate 4 GB 192 GB
Windows 7 Professional 4 GB 192 GB Lots o' RAM, WinXP Mode
Windows 7 Home Premium 4 GB 16 GB (My laptop uses this)
Windows 7 Home Basic 4 GB 8 GB

If I wanted, I could upgrade the Professional license,
to Win10 Pro. The lesser Win7 licenses, might be upgradeable
to Win10 Home/Core.

I could probably have installed the expensive Win7 on this
machine (an E8400), but the Test Machine is newer and it's
the one that needed a reliable OS. I can actually get
work done in Win7, whereas with Win10, Microsoft is
always using my network interface when I don't want them
to. Or scanning my disk, or whatever.

Once you test Win10, you can decide whether it's the right
answer or not. Install Win7 first, but do a *backup* before
Win10 Upgrade messes things up. The "revert" capability in
Win10, doesn't work as well as restoring Windows 7 from
a backup you made. You've been warned...

If you install Win7 SP1 x64 and you don't want to see any
Microsoft automatic Win10 Upgrade shenanigans, use this.
Since my copy of Win7 SP1 Professional has Windows Update
turned off, I don't need this.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html

Win10 is a "SmartPhone OS". Win10 is a copy of Win8,
with SmartPhone slider switches to control privacy settings.
So as an OS, it tends to make the same sorts of
privacy wrecking plays, as a SmartPhone might try.

Paul
Old February 29th 16, 04:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 18:36:49 -0500, Paul wrote:

The free upgrade interval, lasts until July 29, 2016 or so.

Besides free, there's more, it's also adware. The British National
Enquirer released recently an article where recently [mandatory if
online] W10 updates changed out the desktop theme for a lot of people
into tiled windows advertising a game. Not a happy reception from
all; the Enquirer, he call Microsoft's W10 an alien exploding-stomach
OS.
Old February 29th 16, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

wrote:

I installed WindowsXP on it and have held onto that OS for dear life
ever since.

XP/SP3 offers the widest backwards compatibility, narrowing choices to
SP1. The name of game is then find old utilities for modern programs
reinventing the wheel. Programs where prior versions are listed may
help. It's the INET you're saying that's leaving you behind, which is
as intended: They, industry, wants you to upgrade and force you into
their channels of determined standards of obsolescence. For
non-alt.hardware.pc.homebuit that means: if all software, a browser,
doesn't work, therefore, the computer is busted.

Welcome to alt.computer.literacy. Learn or sink. Your options, if
you accept this mission abound. See you later in
alt.computer.hacking. Maybe. (I'm not sure if that group was
declared illegal and shut down.)

I installed Linux Mint on the side, and I must say that I am impressed.
I did need to upgrade to the Oracle version of Java before I was more
impressed! : ) I think I will move to Linux Mint before I accept the
terms of Windows 10. YMMV.

Bill

Old February 29th 16, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 06:50:20 -0500, Bill
wrote:

I installed Linux Mint on the side, and I must say that I am impressed.
I did need to upgrade to the Oracle version of Java before I was more
impressed! : ) I think I will move to Linux Mint before I accept the
terms of Windows 10. YMMV.

Bill

That advertising mentioned I heard taking over the W10 desktop, or
worse intent and persistency on part of MS for domination, may
eventually, as you say, weigh against what all may involved in setting
up virtual machines, *nix being foremost perhaps easily accessed for
alt resources;- I've already a few such setups conditionally as live
distributions for running off a flashstick, handy in their own right
for preparing system builds.

Btw- a European order was released yesterday from a consortium of some
45 countries. Addressed specifically at United States metadata
gathering techniques and a grievousness for processing privacy rights
when they're violated.
Old February 29th 16, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

I ran the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor. I take it you dump Win 7 Upgrade
right on top of an existing WinXP partition, ie UPGRADE it? In which
case I MUST upgrade to 32bit Win 7 cause I am running 32 bit XP now?

The report says to check Windows Update on Nvidea Geforce GT430 video
card I'm running now for latest drivers after Win 7 install.

But let me ask a shockingly dumb question: if I didn't UPGRADE but
simply bought a Win 7 Pro CD, Could I choose 64 bit with my existing
equipment? I had thought I was stuck with 32bit for anything I wanted
to do My existing software won't care if my machine is running a 64
bit OS?. I take it there is an advantage to using 64bit if you can?

You guys have given me so much hope that I'm now flirting with a
dual-boot idea to image restore a WinXP backup to its own partition. I
dual booted Win 3.1 and 98 for a long time but swore off that stuff
when I got XP.

Old March 1st 16, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 17:10:37 -0500, John B. Smith
wrote:

I had thought I was stuck with 32bit for anything I wanted
to do My existing software won't care if my machine is running a 64
bit OS?. I take it there is an advantage to using 64bit if you can?

64bits do have advantage over prior 32bit, though the cost may be
incompatibility (hence options among software publishers for either a
32bit release, if at all available, or an error presumably during
install qualifying 64bit).

You guys have given me so much hope that I'm now flirting with a
dual-boot idea to image restore a WinXP backup to its own partition. I
dual booted Win 3.1 and 98 for a long time but swore off that stuff
when I got XP.

Boot arbitrators, though perhaps ungainly for shoehorning how might an
OS react, goes along as much, as it were, with a binary restoration
routine's adaptability to possible minute changes in a prior partition
and the OS reaction, if any. Invaluable, though, for the fastidiously
pernicious sanity of some character types, I'd qualify, when and if an
OS should take upon itself, seemingly, manifest singularities for
changing settings I've applied prior without obvious reason for doing
so.

Beyond which, in alt.comp.nirvana.lalaland, arises the specter of an
underlying machine's capacity to run multiples of OS's congruently off
Virtual Machines with blissful impunity.