compaq presario 1200-xl109 and Netgear FA511

Old January 31st 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default compaq presario 1200-xl109 and Netgear FA511

hello,
i am trying to install a Netgear FA511 Network adapter
on my old compaq presario 1200-xl 109.
as soon as the PC card is in the slot, then the PC freeze and I get a
blue screen.
after removing the card, I have to shut down the PC and to switch in
again.
I have performed a " complete system restoration "; then, again after
inserting the FA511 card, still a blue screen and the freeze !!

my PC has a 64 Mo Ram and is loaded with Windows 98SE 4.10. as
available early 2000.

thanks for any suggestion

michel
Old February 2nd 06, 05:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Dauphin Vert wrote:
hello,
i am trying to install a Netgear FA511 Network adapter
on my old compaq presario 1200-xl 109.
as soon as the PC card is in the slot, then the PC freeze and I get a
blue screen.
after removing the card, I have to shut down the PC and to switch in
again.
I have performed a " complete system restoration "; then, again after
inserting the FA511 card, still a blue screen and the freeze !!

my PC has a 64 Mo Ram and is loaded with Windows 98SE 4.10. as
available early 2000.

thanks for any suggestion

michel

Install the driver/software before inserting the card the first time.
Win9x does not have native drivers so the card must have a specific
driver for Win98; sometimes these are in a separate folder on the
installation disk. I am *assuming* that a notebook of that vintage has
32-bit PC-Card support - you should verify this. Have you successfully
installed any other cards in the PC-Card slot? Check Device Manager and
verify that the PC-Card hardware drivers (some vendor name PC-Card
Controller in the PCMCIA section) are installed and working properly.