ASUS P5E-VM HDMI over clocking

Old November 15th 08, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default ASUS P5E-VM HDMI over clocking

High, I can use some help with this. I got an overclock error at boot at pressed F2 to
set to default values. I have a Q6600 which the default is 2.4Ghz. My problem is after
resetting back to defaults the PC is running 1.6 Ghz.

In the Asus AI Suite it shows the FSB at 1600 mhz 267.26 x 6 with cpu voltage at 1.15

I have used AI Booster to set the CPU freequency to 333 and the mutiplier to 9 and PCIE
memory to 100. I am pretty sure I had ran stable at this setting for over a month
previously geting 3.0 ghz out of the cpu. But every time i reboot it says OC error and
reverts to the above.

I am running XP PRO SP2

Any help with settings for this board is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

PC Wizard reports ( I tried to pull out extraneous nfo.)

System Summary

Mainboard : Asus P5E-VM HDMI

Chipset : Intel G35

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2400 MHz

Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO

Hard Disk : ST3400620AS (400 GB)

Hard Disk : ST3750640AS (750 GB)

Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB)

DVD-Rom Drive : PLEXTOR DVDR PX-800A

DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q

Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 17 inches

Network Card : Attansic (Now owned by Atheros) L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T

Ethernet Controller

Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3,

v.3311

DirectX : Version 9.0c

Mainboard

Manufacturer : System manufacturer

General Information

Product : P5E-VM HDMI
Version : System Version
Serial Number : System Serial Number
Unique ID : 60FA0011-D8000193-CF29001E-8C7D9662
SKU : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Family : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Start mode : Power Switch

OEM Information

OEM #1 : 001E8C7D9662
OEM #2 : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
OEM #3 : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
OEM #4 : To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Mainboard : Asus P5E-VM HDMI

General Information

Manufacturer : ASUSTeK Computer INC. (Asus)
Product : P5E-VM HDMI
Version : Rev 1.xx
Serial Number : MS1C7CBA4A02842
Support MP : Yes, 4 CPU(s)
Version MPS : 1.4

On-Board Device Information

Device : Onboard Ethernet (Ethernet)
Embedded Controller : Yes

Slots Information

Slot PCI-Express : Available (32-bit) 3.3v, Shared Slot Opening
Slot PCI-X : Available (32-bit) 3.3v, Shared Slot Opening
Slot PCI-X : Available (32-bit) 3.3v, Shared Slot Opening
Slot PCI : Available (32-bit) 3.3v, Shared Slot Opening

System Configuration Options

Option #1 : To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Bios : American Megatrends Inc.

General Information

Manufacturer : American Megatrends Inc.
Version : 0506
Date : 04/28/2008 (mm/dd/yyyy)
Address : 0x0 on 1024 KB
Copyright : (C)2007 American Megatrends, Inc
Motherboard ID : 64-0506-000001-00101111-042808-Intel-G35-A0867001
DMI Version : 2.4

Characteristics

Flashable : Yes
Socketed : Yes

Functionality

APM : Yes
ACPI : Yes
ESCD : Yes
PnP : Yes
PCI : Yes
ISA : Yes
AGP : No
USB : Yes
PCMCIA : No
Smart Battery : No

Chipset : Intel G35

General Information

NorthBridge : Intel G35
SouthBridge : 82801IR (ICH9R) LPC Interface Controller

NorthBridge Information

Architecture : Direct Media Interface (DMI)
Manufacturer : Intel (ASUSTeK Computer Inc)
Codename : Broadwater
Revision : E0
Bus Speed : 267.3 MHz
FSB Frequency : 1069.2 MHz (QDR)
FSB max. Support : 1333 MHz
RAM max. Support : DDR2 (800 MHz)

Memory Information

Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400
Frequency : 400.9 MHz
DRAM/FSB Ratio : 3/2
Supported Channels : Dual (128-bit)
Activated Channels : Dual
ECC Diagnostic : No
CAS Latency (tCL) : 5 clocks
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 2 clocks
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 0 clocks
Command Rate : 2 T
Shared Memory (video) : Yes

Physical Capabilities

FlexMemory : Yes - Disabled
ME Support : No

Physical Memory : 4096 MB DDR2-SDRAM

General Information

DIMM0 (RAS 0, RAS 1) : 1024 (Double Bank)
DIMM1 (RAS 2, RAS 3) : 1024 (Double Bank)
DIMM2 (RAS 4, RAS 5) : 1024 (Double Bank)
DIMM3 (RAS 6, RAS 7) : 1024 (Double Bank)

Information SPD EEPROM (DIMM0)

Manufacturer : OCZ
Part Number : OCZ2P800FR1G
Serial Number : Unspecified
Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 (399 MHz) - [DDR2-800]
Format : Regular UDIMM (133.35 x 3)
Size : 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Buffered : No
Module Registered : No
Module SLi Ready (EPP) : No
Width : 64-bit
Error Correction Capability : No
Max. Burst Length : 8
Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 µs, Self Refresh
Voltage : SSTL 1.8v
Prefetch Buffer : 4-bit
Supported Frequencies : 266 MHz, 333 MHz, 400 MHz
CAS Latency (tCL) : 3 clocks @266 MHz, 4 clocks @333 MHz, 5 clocks @400 MHz
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 4 clocks @266 MHz, 5 clocks @333 MHz, 5 clocks @400 MHz
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 4 clocks @266 MHz, 5 clocks @333 MHz, 5 clocks @400 MHz
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 10 clocks @266 MHz, 13 clocks @333 MHz, 15 clocks @400 MHz
Min TRC : 15 clocks @266 MHz, 19 clocks @333 MHz, 23 clocks @400 MHz

Information SPD EEPROM (DIMM1)

Manufacturer : OCZ
Part Number : OCZ2P800R21G
[...]

Information SPD EEPROM (DIMM2)

[...]

Information SPD EEPROM (DIMM3)

[...]

Memory Controller Information

Memory Controller : DIMM, SDRAM
Number of connectors : 4
Supported Speed : Unspecified
Supported Voltages : 3.3v
Error Detection Method : 64-bit ECC
Error Correction Capability : None
Current/Supported Interleave : 1-way/1-way

LPC bus : Yes

Bus Information

Type : ISA - LPC
Device : 82801IR (ICH9R) LPC Interface Controller
Revision : 02
Number of ISA Connectors : 0

Device Capabilities (PCI)

I/O Access : Yes
Memory Access : Yes
Bus Master Capable : Yes
Special Cycle Recognition : No
Memory Write & Invalidate : No
VGA Palette Snoop : No
Parity Error Response : No
Cycle Wait : No
System Error Line : No
Fast Back-to-Back : No
Detects Parity Errors : No
User Defined Format : No
PCI 66Mhz Bus Support : No
New Capability List : Yes
PCI Support : Vendor-Dependant

PCI Bus : No

Bus PCI-Express : Yes

PCI-Express Information

Number of connectors : 1

Bus PCI-Express

Device : PCIe Root Port
Version : 1.0
Port : 2
Physical Slot : #0
Slot Populated : Yes
Link Width : x16 (max. x16)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

Bus PCI-Express

Device : 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) PCIe Root Port 1
Version : 1.0
Port : 1
Physical Slot : #0
Slot Populated : No
Link Width : max. x1
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

Bus PCI-Express

Device : 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) PCIe Root Port 5
Version : 1.0
Port : 5
Physical Slot : #0
Slot Populated : Yes
Link Width : x1 (max. x1)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

Bus PCI-Express

Device : 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) PCIe Root Port 6
Version : 1.0
Port : 6
Physical Slot : #0
Slot Populated : Yes
Link Width : x1 (max. x1)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

Bus PCI-Express

Device : Radeon HD 2600 Pro
Version : 1.0
Port : 0
Link Width : x16 (max. x16)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

USB Bus : Yes

Device Information

Device : 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) USB Universal Host Controller
Version : 1.0
Interface : UHCI
Frequency : 48 MHz

Device Information

Device : 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) USB Universal Host Controller
Version : 1.0
Interface : UHCI
Frequency : 48 MHz

Device Information

Device : 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) USB Universal Host Controller
Version : 1.0
Interface : UHCI
Frequency : 48 MHz

Processor

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

General Information

Type : Intel Core 2 Quad
Internal Specification : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Model Number : Q6600
Codename : Kentsfield
Revision : G0
Technology : 0.065µ
CPU ID : 6.F.B
CPU IDEx : 6.F.B
Microcode : MU06FBB6

Instructions

IA-64 Technology : No
Intel64 (EM64T) : Yes
AVX : No
FPU128 : No
SSE5 : No
SSE4a : No
SSE4.2 : No
SSE4.1 : No
S-SSE3 : Yes
SSE3 : Yes
SSE2 : Yes
SSE : Yes
Extended 3DNow! Technology : No
3DNow! Technology : No
3DNOW Prefetch : No
3DNow! Pro Technology : Yes
AMD MMX Technology : No
MMX Technology : Yes
Cyrix MMX Technology : No
FMA : No
AES : No
OSXSAVE : No
CLF - Cache Line Flush : Yes
CX8 - CMPXCHG8B : Yes
CX16 - CMPXCHG16B : Yes
CMOV - Conditionnal Move Inst. : Yes
MON - Monitor/Mwait : Yes
POPCNT : No
RDTSCP : No
SEP - Fast System Call : Yes

Mainboard Upgradeability

Socket/Slot : LGA775
Upgrade interface : LGA775
Supported Speed : 3800 MHz (or more)
Supported Voltage : 1.3V

Frequency : 2400 MHz

General Information

Real Frequency : 1603.95 MHz
Multiplier : 6x
Low/High Multiplier : 6x / 9x
Multiplier Locked : Yes
Marketing Frequency : 2400.03 MHz

Front Side Bus Information

Bus Speed : 267.3 MHz
FSB Frequency : 1069.3 MHz (QDR)

Initial Frequencies

Frequency : 2400 MHz
Bus Speed : 266.67 MHz (QDR)
Multiplier : 9x

Frequency Control

Core #1 : 1603.67 MHz
Core #2 : 1603.64 MHz
Core #3 : 1603.28 MHz
Core #4 : 1603.82 MHz

Control Clock Frequency

Enhanced SpeedStep (EIST) : Yes - Enabled
C1E - Enhanced Halt Mode : No
Dynamic FSB : Yes - Disabled
Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) : No

Thermal Information

Thermal Design Power : 105 W
Core Power : 70.17 W (estimated)
Thermal control TM1 : Yes - Enabled
Thermal control TM2 : Yes - Enabled
Thermal Control Circuit : Yes
Digital Thermal Sensor : Yes
Clock Modulation (ODCM) Enabled : No

Processor Performance Information

Throttle Mode AC : None
Throttle Mode DC : Adaptive
Current Configuration : None
Throttle : 2405 MHz

Processor Power Management Information

Processor Throttling : Yes
Throttle Range : 66% - 100%
Active Power Scheme : Home/Office Desk

Number of Core : 4

General Information

Number of Core : 4
Number of Core Enabled : 4

Support : Socket 775 LGA

Voltage VID : 1.300 V

General Information CPU

Voltage : 1.301 V
MaxVID : 1.301 V
MinVID : 1.301 V

FPU Coprocessor : Present

General Information

Integrated : Yes
Model : Compatible Intel

Core 1 Activity : 0%

Core 2 Activity : 0%

Core 3 Activity : 0%

Core 4 Activity : 0%

Video

Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO

General Information

Manufacturer : ATI Technologies Inc (Hightech Information Systems Ltd)
Model : ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO
Bus Type : PCI-Express
Total Memory : 512 MB
Texture Memory : 1012 MB
Processor : ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9589)
Converter : Internal DAC(400MHz)
Refresh Rate (min/max) : 56/75 Hz

GPU Information

Number of GPU : 1
Codename : RV630
Bus : 128-bit
Memory Type : SDRAM
GPU Frequency : 650 MHz - [initial : 650 MHz]
Memory Frequency GPU : 525 MHz - [initial : 525 MHz]
DirectX Support : 10.0
Pixel Shader Version : 3.0

GPU Configuration

Technology CrossFire : No

Video Bios Information

Date : 06/18/07
ID : 123-SG2H04-00R
Catalyst : 6.14.10.4869

General Information

Manufacturer : ATI Technologies Inc.
Version : 2.1.7976 Release
Renderer : ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO
Acceleration : No, Software

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old November 16th 08, 02:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
High, I can use some help with this. I got an overclock error at boot at pressed F2 to
set to default values. I have a Q6600 which the default is 2.4Ghz. My problem is after
resetting back to defaults the PC is running 1.6 Ghz.

In the Asus AI Suite it shows the FSB at 1600 mhz 267.26 x 6 with cpu voltage at 1.15

I have used AI Booster to set the CPU freequency to 333 and the mutiplier to 9 and PCIE
memory to 100. I am pretty sure I had ran stable at this setting for over a month
previously geting 3.0 ghz out of the cpu. But every time i reboot it says OC error and
reverts to the above.

I am running XP PRO SP2

Any help with settings for this board is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Check the BIOS for the EIST setting. Disable it, to see full speed
operation all the time.

Your processor has two operating conditions. Intel uses the second
setting for power saving reasons.

266 x 9 = 2400MHz, VID = 1.3 volts
266 x 6 = 1600MHz, VID = 1.15 volts

If EIST is enabled, and the OS has ACPI support, the OS is
able to tell the processor to throttle back when there is no
computing load. The processor throttles back in tiny steps,
between those two sets of operating conditions. So the Vcore
voltage is change dynamically (D-VID), and the multiplier used
(FID), is also changed. That makes a big difference to waste
heat output, when the computer is idle.

If you want to read "2400MHz" constantly in your Windows
utilities, then you can disable EIST. Or, you can load a program
which presents a computing load (Prime95 4 threads), and then
check things with programs such as CPUZ or your Wizard.

The "333 x 9 and instability" could be due to your choices of
Vcore voltage. What I've learned from my modest upgrade,
is Intel enforces the VID settings in hardware, so as far
as the BIOS writing out a value of VID to the regulator,
the processor limits the values to 1.15 to 1.3 volts in your
case. (The codes are digital, but the values are bounded by
Intel factory settings.) I think my particular processor allows
1.35V before no further increases happen. I suspect, when a
person goes into the BIOS and sets the Vcore in there, that
the motherboard may use another mechanism for boosting the
Vcore setting. On my board, I uses the OFFSET pin on the
regulator, and got enough voltage to run at 3.5GHz :-) But
some motherboards integrate a function like that, so it
appears seamless to the user. (For some people it is a
BIOS setting, but for me it took my soldering iron to
fix it.)

This is my best guess as to what it looks like. I don't know,
how they're doing the boost function in your case, because
your user manual shows pretty fine resolution for the voltage
steps. It would be more normal for boosted values to have poorer
resolution or accuracy. (The VID is a digital value, sent on a
parallel set of data lines, from the processor output pins to the
Vcore regulator.) I can think of ways of implementing this
function digitally, but the motherboard makers are quite
price conscious, and wouldn't want to add yet another chip
to the motherboard to do it.
+-------+
clamped | Vcore |
VID (set by BIOS --- Register inside -------------| Reg. |
or ACPI in OS) Processor 1.15-1.30V | |---CPU
| |
motherboard_maker_cheat_using_boost_method -------| Boost |
+-------+

So start by disabling EIST, and see if you get a consistent
result that way. Then use a tiny bit more manual Vcore setting
in the BIOS, to try to get stability at startup. Remember that
the BIOS has to achieve your desired settings in stages, because
when the processor starts, the default values are used initially.
The BIOS has to boost the stuff gradually early in the POST, and
then try and complete POST.

Also note, I'm not an "AI Booster" kind of guy. I like to set
things to "Manual" in the BIOS, and set my overclocking conditions
there. I have a dirt cheap motherboard right now ($70 CDN), and
it has virtually nothing in the BIOS I can use, which is why
I had to hack up the board with my soldering iron. I learned
a bit about the EIST and the processor clamping thing, while
trying to use RMClock, SETFSB, and CrystalCPUID415 to crank it.
The tools were refusing to let my Vcore go over 1.35V. Not the
fault of SETFSB, as it worked flawlessly to set the clocks.
SETFSB takes over, where ClockGen left off.

In terms of the amount of Vcore boost to use, you have to know
whether your processor is 65nm or 45nm technology. For 45nm
chips, don't go over about 1.40V for long term. People have
burned out 45nm processors while overvolting. Since both
you and I are using 65nm chips (Q6600 is 65nm), you can go
higher than that (and I don't know what the upper limit is for 65nm).
My nominal Vcore is 1.35V, and I'm running at 1.45V right now
(using my home-made boost). Mine still isn't "Prime Stable"
at that voltage choice at 3.5GHz. I've stopped working
on my overclock for now, because I really don't need it
at the moment (it would be a waste of electricity, for
virtually no benefit). Someday I'll need it, and it won't
take long to finish tweaking it.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/Det...px?sSpec=slacr

Paul