Need a new card

Old January 10th 07, 01:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
AlphaWoolf

Default Need a new card

I've been out of the video card market for a while, but my 6800GT is
going bad so I'm looking for a replacement. I don't really need any
upgrade in performance, but what level card am I looking for that
performs as well?

Gnuthulhu, Undead Warlock
Fthagn, Undead Warrior
Rhyleya, Troll Hunter
Wydefoote, Tauren Shaman
Thunderhorn,US
Remove your coat for email.
Old January 10th 07, 04:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Larry Roberts

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 01:26:14 GMT, AlphaWoolf
wrote:

I've been out of the video card market for a while, but my 6800GT is
going bad so I'm looking for a replacement. I don't really need any
upgrade in performance, but what level card am I looking for that
performs as well?

Gnuthulhu, Undead Warlock
Fthagn, Undead Warrior
Rhyleya, Troll Hunter
Wydefoote, Tauren Shaman
Thunderhorn,US
Remove your coat for email.

On the Nvidia side, a 7600GT sits between the 6800GT, and the
6800 Ultra, except for a few games at high resolutions with AA/AF
turned up. The 6800GT's 256bit bus, and 16 pixel pipes allowed it to
pull slightly ahead of the 7600GT's 128bit bus, and 12 pixel pipes in
a few situations. The 7600GT is a nice card for the price (start
around $130.00 USD). For a about $50.00 more , you can get a 7900GS,
which is even better.
On the ATI side, the X1650 XT is near the 7600GT, with the
7600GT inching ahead in a few games. However, the X1650 XT seems to be
a bad overclocker as it gets pretty hot. The X1900GT is better, and
it's price is only about $25.00 more than the 7600GT, and X1650 XT if
you look at Newegg.com. Other than that, the X1950 Pro is priced about
the same as the 7900GS, but has a little better performance.
Old January 11th 07, 11:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
AlphaWoolf

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of comparison I needed. The ATI
X1950 sounds like a good deal but I've been disappointed with their
products in the past (had a 9800 Pro that required a $40 aftermarket
cooler to operate more than a few minutes) due to heat problems.

Alphawoolf