Motherboard/CPU Question

Old December 19th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Motherboard/CPU Question

I just noticed an Asus P4S800D-X SiS Socket 478 ATX Motherboard and an
Intel Celeron D 345 3.06GHz OEM Processor bundle on sale for $75.00.

Does anyone have any experience with with this combo, and if so, do
you recommend it for the price?

I saw one review that was critical of the Celeron D- 345, 3.06GHZ CPU,
so I'm not sure if this is a good buy.

Helpful suggestions are appreciated.
Old December 19th 06, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

Celeron's are very underpowered compared to Pentium's and have a much
smaller on-board cache. Also, I would run screaming before I used another
SIS chipset based motherboard. The timing errors are horrible.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old December 19th 06, 02:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:02:13 -0500, Paul wrote:

You can find discussions about the motherboard he

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...ge=1&count=309

and customer reviews he

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16813131527

Paul

Thanks for the links to customer reviews. Looks like I'd better pass
on this deal.
Old December 20th 06, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 05:01:22 -0500, OSbandito
wrote:

Are you buying all new stuff for a new system or have on-hand reusable
parts/boards? I think if you describe the extent of your purchase(s),
the planned use of the machine and your budget, you can get some very
good suggestions here. An extra $150 is well spent on better sys
components, saving you much time and headaches. If you aren't confident
about building the rig, there are some killer deals now on new, fully
warranteed computers.

Just trying to increase speed of existing ll yr. old kid's pc from AMD
l GB CPU to about 1.8 GB for his games. I'll use same HD, CDROM, GE
Force 2 video card, etc. Just a minimum upgrade.

Any suggestions for a stable, budget priced MB/CPU combo is
appreciated. Not interested in latest technology. Outdated last
years hardware is fine. I usually buy AMD Socket A type equipment
that was hot a year or so ago, but has long since been outdated by
new, faster technology.

Thanks

Old December 21st 06, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
OSbandito

wrote: ...

Just trying to increase speed of existing ll yr. old kid's pc from AMD
l GB CPU to about 1.8 GB for his games. I'll use same HD, CDROM, GE
Force 2 video card, etc. Just a minimum upgrade.

Here's a good place to look:
http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors...tml?1147486732

Just be sure to look for RAM compat. if you're going to re-use present
mem cards.
Old December 22nd 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:34:55 -0500, OSbandito
wrote:

wrote: ...

Just trying to increase speed of existing ll yr. old kid's pc from AMD
l GB CPU to about 1.8 GB for his games. I'll use same HD, CDROM, GE
Force 2 video card, etc. Just a minimum upgrade.

Here's a good place to look:
http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors...tml?1147486732

Just be sure to look for RAM compat. if you're going to re-use present
mem cards.

Thanks for the information.