Fanless or near fanless PC 2014 ? (sub 5 watts)

Old September 16th 14, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
rickman

Default Fanless or near fanless PC 2014 ? (sub 5 watts)

On 9/15/2014 7:38 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:30:23 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

What if it's a hanging lamp you got for free?

Never heard of anyone being hanged by a lamp.

It was specially made for Spehro... :-*

--

Rick
Old September 17th 14, 12:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 11:32:24 PM UTC+8, Flasherly wrote:

Weren't they at one point Cyrix from pre-X586 (Pentium pin sockets),

aka 486 processors -- a merger/acquisition of the two?

VIA took over Cyrix and IDT, who both made x86 CPUs.
A few years later, Intel did not renew their license for socket 370.
Seemed rather petty to me, as VIA CPUs were no threat to Intel at all.
Old September 17th 14, 01:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 04:27:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

VIA took over Cyrix and IDT, who both made x86 CPUs.
A few years later, Intel did not renew their license for socket 370.
Seemed rather petty to me, as VIA CPUs were no threat to Intel at all.

I stayed away from Intel for the longest time. Never forgave them for
sitting on an 386 market and keeping prices inflated unflinchingly
high until an alternative market, comparable to the 386, caught up.
All through 486s and 586s - AMD, Cyrix, TI - anything else, other for
an Intel, that's what I bought, always new, following through the
upgrade paths.

I only switched to an Intel Celeron D as a matter of practicality on a
change and switch, on Intel's part, for apparent pricing structures.
Oddly, I was reading just last week, that same Celeron D (Socket 478)
is exactly structured on the last processor I was running on this, my
present computer and Socket 775 MB -- 2 weeks ago, I since swapped
processors for a Conroe. Apart from a reduced cache on that former
775, they were identical. (A $10.95 Pentium D 805, two years ago, to a
E6850 for $11.95 two weeks ago.)

What goes around comes around, I guess. The E6850 sits alongside a
bunch of used Ebay $30+ quadcores, even some Xeon conversions,
(exclusively out of China, though), I can always go back to and update
once and only once more, if I want. It's kinda unique - a more robust
platform than anything I'm seeing (blows away the Pentium D) or
suspect I can get into by cost considerations in an AMD, or, over my
other computer, which is equipped with a dualcore AMD X2 4200.
Old September 17th 14, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

wrote in message ...

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:23:16 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

"
"sms" wrote in message ...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-de3815tykhe.html

I got one for "free" as they were part of the swag at a recent trade
show (also a Samsung Gear 2 watch) that cost $50. This is not something
to use for gaming.

The normal price is around $150 but that's without memory or storage.
"

Swag ? Like a give away ? Or like an extra ? Or what is swag ?

"
From Wiki...

"Swag, promotional items given away at trade fairs and events"

Probably originated from:

"Swag, slang originating in the early 1800s for stolen goods or
booty."
"

But is swag free ? Or a product sold for a big discount ? Or can it be
bought ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old September 17th 14, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Mike[_31_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
.. .

| wrote in message ...
|
| On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:23:16 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
| wrote:
|
| "
| "sms" wrote in message ...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-de3815tykhe.html

| I got one for "free" as they were part of the swag at a recent
trade
| show (also a Samsung Gear 2 watch) that cost $50. This is not
something
| to use for gaming.
|
| The normal price is around $150 but that's without memory or
storage.
| "
|
| Swag ? Like a give away ? Or like an extra ? Or what is swag ?

| "
| From Wiki...
|
| "Swag, promotional items given away at trade fairs and events"
|
| Probably originated from:
|
| "Swag, slang originating in the early 1800s for stolen goods or
| booty."
| "
|
| But is swag free ? Or a product sold for a big discount ? Or can it
be
| bought ?
|
| Bye,
| Skybuck.

Another popular meaning for SWAG is "scientific wild ass guess".

Old September 18th 14, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

wrote:

"
"sms" wrote in message ...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-de3815tykhe.html

I got one for "free" as they were part of the swag at a recent trade
show (also a Samsung Gear 2 watch) that cost $50. This is not something
to use for gaming.

The normal price is around $150 but that's without memory or storage.
"

Swag ? Like a give away ? Or like an extra ? Or what is swag ?

"
From Wiki...

"Swag, promotional items given away at trade fairs and events"

Probably originated from:

"Swag, slang originating in the early 1800s for stolen goods or
booty."
"

But is swag free ? Or a product sold for a big discount ? Or can it be
bought ?

It's generally free, included in a "kit" given away as promotional
material. Someone bought it. There are companies that specialize in
making "swag". Some booty I've been given include, pens (usually go
in the trash), laser pointers, and USB sticks.

Advice on Fanless PC Carlos Moreno General 4 August 27th 09 10:00 PM
used fanless computers [email protected] General 1 March 27th 08 09:44 PM
Fanless hardware johns Homebuilt PC's 0 December 3rd 06 10:45 AM
fanless gpu g. bon Nvidia Videocards 2 February 27th 06 09:00 AM
fanless x1600 anyone? kalev- Ati Videocards 1 February 4th 06 02:17 PM