WD AV drives not for desktop use

Old July 9th 11, 07:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Default WD AV drives not for desktop use

On 7/8/2011 8:46 PM, John Turco wrote:

Your e-mail address ends in "uk" -- so, Miguel, it's
logical to assume you're in Britain, not Spain.

Blessedly, Spanish speakers are all over the planet.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old July 9th 11, 08:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tom Del Rosso
escribió:

A mpeg file can be copied over 100 times faster than it takes to play it.
The disk's speed therefore seems to be so much faster than needed for video,
why is it even necessary to speed it up by reducing the error-correction?

Because PVRs don't just play; they simultaneously record, from two
sources on twin-tuner models, and have features such as live pause and
action replay. So the disk may be having to deal with simultaneous
multiple streams of data.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Old July 10th 11, 12:55 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Tom Del Rosso wrote
Arno wrote
Ed Light wrote

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.a...tno=659&pgno=4

Fortunately these should be more expensive and not
show up in cheap computers. But some people will
recycle them and run into problems.

A mpeg file can be copied over 100 times faster than it takes to play it. The disk's speed therefore seems to be so
much faster than needed for video, why is it even necessary to speed it up by reducing the error-correction?

Because the worst of the retrys on error correction with writes can see
a significant glitch in the video file. When the error correction isnt as
aggressive, the glitch is much less noticeable.

Old July 10th 11, 12:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ed Light wrote:
John Turco wrote

Your e-mail address ends in "uk" -- so, Miguel, it's logical to assume you're in Britain, not Spain.

Blessedly, Spanish speakers are all over the planet.

There are a hell of a lot more english speakers.

Old July 10th 11, 01:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Tom Del Rosso[_4_]

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Tom Del Rosso
escribió:

A mpeg file can be copied over 100 times faster than it takes to
play it. The disk's speed therefore seems to be so much faster than
needed for video, why is it even necessary to speed it up by
reducing the error-correction?

Because PVRs don't just play; they simultaneously record, from two
sources on twin-tuner models, and have features such as live pause and
action replay. So the disk may be having to deal with simultaneous
multiple streams of data.

That's only 3 or 4 times the load, but I can see that thrashing and
re-seeking would slow it down a lot more.

Constant thrashing for long periods causes wear and heating too, so I wonder
if they are designed for that.

zero, and remove the last word.

Old October 17th 13, 10:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Friday, July 1, 2011 2:56:26 AM UTC+1, Ed Light wrote:
From Western Digital:

"The AV drives are designed to be used on Audio/Video equipment but
using it on a computer would not create any problems. We know that it is
save to use our AV drives with computers and no error would occur."
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

I have just ordered one of these AV-GP drives as I was able to find one fairly cheap and needed a smaller drive to run my operating system off. Initially, I was sucked on by the low temperature and quicker read speeds, however have been put of a little by threads such as these on the net. Could anyone confirm whether or not they have used one of these drives as a boot drive within a computer? If so, have you noticed any behavioural characteristics different to, say, any other HDD? If the drive is unsuitable, i'd rather not bother removing it from the packaging and sort out a return a.s.a.p.
Old October 17th 13, 10:27 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Friday, July 1, 2011 2:56:26 AM UTC+1, Ed Light wrote:
From Western Digital:

"The AV drives are designed to be used on Audio/Video equipment but
using it on a computer would not create any problems. We know that it is
save to use our AV drives with computers and no error would occur."
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

I have just ordered one of these AV-GP drives as I was able to find one fairly cheap and needed a smaller drive to run my operating system off. Initially, I was sucked in by the low temperature and quicker read speeds, however have been put of a little by threads such as these on the net. Could anyone confirm whether or not they have used one of these drives as a boot drive within a computer? If so, have you noticed any behavioural characteristics different to, say, any other HDD? If the drive is unsuitable, i'd rather not bother removing it from the packaging and sort out a return a.s.a.p.
Old October 18th 13, 01:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:50:50 AM UTC+8, Arno wrote:

Fortunately these should be more expensive and not
show up in cheap computers. But some people will
recycle them and run into problems.

I have been scavenging AV disks from PVRs for about 2 years. None gave a problem.
But I always check the SMART data first. Some had a disturbing maximum temperature
(up to 80 Celcius). Perhaps somebody left the TV magazine on top, blocking the
vents.