Resizing existing partitions on an external USB2 HDD in Mac OS?

Old December 12th 16, 12:38 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Ant

Default Resizing existing partitions on an external USB2 HDD in Mac OS?

Hello.

Mac OS (Mountain Lion v10.8.5 & Sierra v10.12.1)'s Disk Utility won't
let me resize 2 existing partitions (FAT32 [datas and sharing with other
OSes like Windows] & encrypted HFS+ [Time Machine + other datas]). I
wanted to make its FAT32 partition smaller & HFS+ partition bigger
without losing data, redoing from scratch, etc. It doesn't seem to let
me. Does its Disk Utility not let me do that like in Linux and Windows?

Thank you in advance.
--
Quote of the Week: "The fact that we can't easily foresee clues that
would betray an intelligence a million millennia farther down the road
Old December 12th 16, 07:50 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Lewis[_3_]

In message
Ant wrote:
Hello.

Mac OS (Mountain Lion v10.8.5 & Sierra v10.12.1)'s Disk Utility won't
let me resize 2 existing partitions (FAT32

That's why.

Does its Disk Utility not let me do that like in Linux and Windows?

Not with FAT partitions.

--
Let the Wookiee win.
Old December 12th 16, 11:49 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Ant

In alt.comp.periphs.hdd Lewis wrote:
In message
Ant wrote:
Hello.

Mac OS (Mountain Lion v10.8.5 & Sierra v10.12.1)'s Disk Utility won't
let me resize 2 existing partitions (FAT32

That's why.

Does its Disk Utility not let me do that like in Linux and Windows?

Not with FAT partitions.

Oh. So they need to be HFS+ to repartition. Darn it. I was hoping it
would be like old PartitionMagic, qtparted, etc.
Old December 13th 16, 01:07 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Jolly Roger[_3_]

Ant wrote:
Hello.

Mac OS (Mountain Lion v10.8.5 & Sierra v10.12.1)'s Disk Utility won't
let me resize 2 existing partitions (FAT32

That's why.

Does its Disk Utility not let me do that like in Linux and Windows?

Not with FAT partitions.

Oh. So they need to be HFS+ to repartition. Darn it. I was hoping it
would be like old PartitionMagic, qtparted, etc.

Yes, it's oh so limited and sub-par! I mean everyone knows PartitionMagic,
qtparted, etc would resize HFS volumes! /sarcasm

Your expectations are unrealistic.

JR