graphics card

Old August 10th 04, 05:23 PM
KC6

Default graphics card

3dfx Voodoo 2 12 mb vs. Nvidia Riva TNT 16 mb?

Old August 10th 04, 05:44 PM
Todd Brooks

Is it a race to the garbage can?

Old August 11th 04, 04:09 AM
MCheu

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:23:09 +0200, "KC6"
wrote:

3dfx Voodoo 2 12 mb vs. Nvidia Riva TNT 16 mb?

I don't see why you wouldn't be running both. Assuming you're trying
to do a retro gaming system with older hardware and an older windows
OS like 98 or 95, they get along great together. I was running a
similar combination for a while there. By now, I'd guess the pair
together can't be worth much more than $15 or $20 Canadian, so it's
not going to break the bank.

If we're talking win2k or XP, driver support isn't particularly great
for either of those cards. The TNT isn't even listed on NVidia's
site, but the older detonators might work. As far as the Voodoo2,
there's homebrew XP drivers, but they're kind of a hit/miss thing
depending on what you've got installed on your machine.

MCheu
Old August 11th 04, 05:23 AM
kony

wrote:

3dfx Voodoo 2 12 mb vs. Nvidia Riva TNT 16 mb?

I don't see why you wouldn't be running both. Assuming you're trying
to do a retro gaming system with older hardware and an older windows
OS like 98 or 95, they get along great together. I was running a
similar combination for a while there. By now, I'd guess the pair
together can't be worth much more than $15 or $20 Canadian, so it's
not going to break the bank.

If we're talking win2k or XP, driver support isn't particularly great
for either of those cards. The TNT isn't even listed on NVidia's
site, but the older detonators might work. As far as the Voodoo2,
there's homebrew XP drivers, but they're kind of a hit/miss thing
depending on what you've got installed on your machine.

Even newest Detonators support TNT.

Neither card is going to be good for gaming, and the TNT isn't
likley to have very good/crisp output for 2D work either. Both
cards also produce fair amount of heat relative to their
usefulness. IMHO, an old ATI Rage Pro would be better for 2d
work or video related tasks, and anything newer being better for
3D. I suppose I'd lean toward leaving the Voodoo out of the
system and look for deals on something with better 2D output.
Old August 11th 04, 09:05 PM
MCheu

wrote:

3dfx Voodoo 2 12 mb vs. Nvidia Riva TNT 16 mb?

I don't see why you wouldn't be running both. Assuming you're trying
to do a retro gaming system with older hardware and an older windows
OS like 98 or 95, they get along great together. I was running a
similar combination for a while there. By now, I'd guess the pair
together can't be worth much more than $15 or $20 Canadian, so it's
not going to break the bank.

If we're talking win2k or XP, driver support isn't particularly great
for either of those cards. The TNT isn't even listed on NVidia's
site, but the older detonators might work. As far as the Voodoo2,
there's homebrew XP drivers, but they're kind of a hit/miss thing
depending on what you've got installed on your machine.

Even newest Detonators support TNT.

I was fairly certain that they did, but if you look at NVidia's
website, they don't even acknowledge that the TNT ever existed, it's
just not listed. The RIVA is, the TNT2 is, but the TNT is the missing
link (assuming they haven't fixed this oversight).

Neither card is going to be good for gaming, and the TNT isn't
likley to have very good/crisp output for 2D work either. Both
cards also produce fair amount of heat relative to their
usefulness. IMHO, an old ATI Rage Pro would be better for 2d
work or video related tasks, and anything newer being better for
3D. I suppose I'd lean toward leaving the Voodoo out of the
system and look for deals on something with better 2D output.

For modern gaming, yeah, they are pretty crappy, but if you're aiming
for a GLIDE compatible RETRO gaming system, they'd likely be fine.
The Voodoo2 tends to have fewer compatibility problems among older
GLide games than the later 2D/3D 3Dfx cards, and having one kind of
leaves your choice of 2D and direct3D support open to whatever you
want. There's no question that there are superior cards available,
but if you're building a system to play these old games at their
original speeds, you don't necessarily want to go overboard on
performance.

--------------------------
MCheu.
Old August 12th 04, 01:42 AM
kony

On 11 Aug 2004 13:05:51 -0700, (MCheu) wrote:

Even newest Detonators support TNT.

I was fairly certain that they did, but if you look at NVidia's
website, they don't even acknowledge that the TNT ever existed, it's
just not listed. The RIVA is, the TNT2 is, but the TNT is the missing
link (assuming they haven't fixed this oversight).

Yes, they don't list the Velocity 440 and perhaps a few others
inbetween the Riva 128 and TNT2 either, and I have no idea what
driver would be needed for the 440, perhaps the Riva 128 driver.

[...]

Agreed, though the blurriness of the 2D is really distracting
when you're used to more modern cards.

Help: Connect LCD Display with (different) Graphics Card Uwe Kotyczka General 0 May 28th 04 11:30 PM
Help me ID this ATI graphics card Parish General 11 April 26th 04 03:10 PM
Inexpensive graphics card for servers and cluster nodes Oliver Mueller General 2 March 29th 04 10:45 PM
Graphics card problem LanNam General 1 December 6th 03 01:48 AM
Problem: Compaq EVO D310 vs Nvidia Graphics Card. Tomas General 5 November 1st 03 05:39 PM