Windows insists on sharing IRQ between video controller and USB

Old August 10th 05, 02:07 AM
Peter Piper

Default Windows insists on sharing IRQ between video controller and USB

I recently built an upgrade to my trusty old ASUS P2B with an Intel BX
chipset running a Celery 800 on a Slot 1 Adapter...

Mew system:
WindowsXP Pro SP1 and KB822603 USB2 Update
MSI 865PE Neo-3
P4 3 GHz
1 Gig Corsair Value Select DDR
Gigabyte GV-R92128VH (ATI Radeon 9200)

Regardless of what I have tried, this combination of parts INSISTS on
sharing the Radeon 9200 AGP IRQ with 2 USB controllers. Whenever there
is USB activity, by video blanks in and out!

I have booted and rebooted enabling and disabling the USB controller in
the BIOS. I have unstalled the USB devices in Device Manager and
rebooted hoping Windows would reassign the IRQ. I have even uninstalled
the ACPI Multiprocessor Computer and installed the Standard PC driver
HOPING WITHOUT HOPE that Windows would graciously allow ME to assign the
IRQs without success. The options are ALWAYS grayed out. I have played
with the IRQ Steering settings and the read from BIOS settings in the
Standard PC driver with no change. I have erased the NVRAM on boot up.
Nothing has worked. My BIOS does not contain the sometimes seen option
of enabling or disabling the VGA IRQ. Nor do I have the Plug and Play OS
option in my BIOS.

Is this a known and or common problem? Does anyone have a solution to
take control of this conflict that Windows does not see or comprehend?

THANKS
Old August 10th 05, 04:50 AM
Cari

"Peter Piper" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Solution is to disable ACPI and reinstall.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

Old August 10th 05, 05:06 AM
John Doe

"Cari" wrote:
[...]

That's my experience, you have to disable ACPI immediately before
installing Windows if you want to get rid of ACPI.

Old August 10th 05, 04:44 PM
old jon

[...]

If you disabled your COM port\s, you`d get yourself a spare IRQ. Worth a try
?.
bw..OJ

Old August 11th 05, 12:41 PM
Peter Piper

In article ,
lid says...

[...]

Interestinly, IRQ 3 and 5 are unused and open! Windows ignores these
open IRQs and will not let me assign anything manually. I don't know
what XP is doing with IRQ 2/9.

It looks like I'm going to have to reinstall and force ACPI off early in
the process.

IRQ Usage Summary:
(ISA) 0 System timer
(ISA) 1 Standard 101/102-Key PS/2 Keyboard
(ISA) 4 Communications Port (COM1)
(ISA) 6 Standard floppy disk controller
(ISA) 8 System CMOS/real time clock
(ISA) 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
(PCI) 11 Intel(R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3
(ISA) 12 Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)
(ISA) 13 Numeric data processor
(ISA) 14 Primary IDE Channel
(ISA) 15 Secondary IDE Channel
(PCI) 16 GIGABYTE RADEON 9200
(PCI) 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D2
(PCI) 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller 24DE
(PCI) 17 DSP24 Value Controller by ESI
(PCI) 17 Realtek AC'97 Audio
(PCI) 18 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D7
(PCI) 18 U.S. Robotics 56K Fax PCI
(PCI) 19 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller 24D4
(PCI) 19 D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.B)
(PCI) 23 Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller 24DD

Old August 11th 05, 05:27 PM
JAD

have you:

reset configuration data in the bios?
have you cleared the cmos?

Old August 11th 05, 07:35 PM
dawg

Try disabling the USB ports,then re-starting your PC. After it re-assigns
IRQs, enable USB. Also, you may be able to change some things in your
BIOS.It should allow assignments of IRQs. It's kinda tricky,so try playing
with it 'til you get changes. It may not be exactly what you're looking for
but it could work.

Old August 13th 05, 03:52 AM
Peter Piper

In article ,