Cant get windows 2000 to see cd-rw device

Old November 20th 03, 03:30 PM
My father's son

Default Cant get windows 2000 to see cd-rw device

I use a laptop with a SCSI CD-R which I hooked up using an adaptec 1460D
and which worked immediately and (largely) without problems using Sony CD
Extreme.

Suddenly a few weeks ago (I don't THINK it was connected with installing
SP4) the OS decided it wouldn't recognise (allocate an IRQ to) the Adaptec
1460D card (or obviously see anything beyond it).

Microsoft's e-mail support and I went through about 20 e-mails before
deciding that I should call technical support as no amount of their
solutions had any effect on this problem. I have two wires, one with a
CD-RW on it, the other with a ZIP,JAZ & Scanner on it. (I never managed to
get all devices working at the same time which is why I have these two
wires: I even bought two cards before discovering that you cant use 2 SCSI
cards at the same time so I how have one as a spare, - and to check that
this problem isn't caused by the card itself!) No amount of manually
allocating IRQs and rebooting would have any effect on the rebooted system.
It always told me to reboot AGAIN during the reboot process and when it came
up again, no resources were allocated: This despite IRQ 10 being available
and my having disabled COM1, making IRQ3 available as well.

As soon as I called Microsoft and happily waited with them on my
speakerphone for the hour or so, the chain with the CD-RW started working
during a random re-boot I decided to do!!! Before they even came on the
line!

So I e-mailed the tech guy again and he said don't be so contented: This
situation is unlikely to last. He wasn't exactly right, the other chain
never worked again but at least I could burn some CDs.

So I called MS again and got sucked into a four and a half hour marathon
with them in which they ended up managing to stop my CD-RW from working
completely: But at least the OS sees the Adaptec card now and allocates
resources to it without an exclamation mark, even if it doesn't see anything
on the other side of it.

On boot up, while the OS is loading, I can see the computer communicating
with all the peripherals inclkuding the CD-RW which flashes while it is
doing so at around the 13th and 17th blue block on the 2000 pre-startup
screen (it doesnt even do this with the other chain at all if I try booting
up with that one in place). But even after that, when the OS is up and
running, it wont accept that there is any CD-RW device there and no amount
of sniffing around with the find new heardware wizards will let it see the
CD-RW device (or obviously the other devices either).

In the end MS threw up their hands in desperation and told me to format the
OS and reinstall everything. I am reluctant to go through this exercise as
I can't back up all my data at the moment AND I have three years worth of
configurations to each of about 40 programs installed which would take
probably three more years of configuration to get right, all in the HOPE
that it might solve the problem (no guarantees, of course, - as they can't
even identify it, it might just come straight back as it has done with
everything else they have tried).

Anyone know what is going on? Or is there any way of contacting MS third
level support to get this problem solved?

MFS